LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

folding mirrors on ls 430

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-14, 03:35 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by jayclapp
My 04 UL had the right side mirror experience the folding forward error in 2007. The dealer replaced both mirrors on my CPO extended warranty. I fold both mirrors ever time I enter the garage as I have to allow for 2 garbage barrels. I have not had a problem with the mirrors for the past 7 years and the car is now nearly 11 years old. I couldn't live without them! Very happy here.

I don't know how you can say "no problem here, I had to get both of them replaced"
Seems a bit of a contradiction.

Not everyone got an extended warranty with their LS, and replacing both mirror housings at the dealership would be around $1,600 out of pocket. That's a major repair in my book for a pretty silly feature. And it's a pretty widespread problem.

I'd rather have traditional mirrors and move crap out of my garage if the parking is that tight.
Old 10-31-14, 09:17 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank

I don't know how you can say "no problem here, I had to get both of them replaced"
Seems a bit of a contradiction.

Not everyone got an extended warranty with their LS, and replacing both mirror housings at the dealership would be around $1,600 out of pocket. That's a major repair in my book for a pretty silly feature. And it's a pretty widespread problem.

I'd rather have traditional mirrors and move crap out of my garage if the parking is that tight.
Your quote of what I said is taken completely out of context and even altered. Wow! You have a right to your opinion, but don't try to alter the facts I stated. Suggest you read what I said again.
Old 10-31-14, 10:03 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Your quote of what I said is taken completely out of context and even altered. Wow! You have a right to your opinion, but don't try to alter the facts I stated. Suggest you read what I said again.
What exactly was the purpose of you telling us your mirror is working since the dealer replaced them? Isn't that how it's supposed to work? It just seems like a really odd post considering the thread is about how to repair the mirror without buying a new one.

Last edited by BradTank; 10-31-14 at 10:07 AM.
Old 10-31-14, 10:18 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

There is no crap in my garage. Our community prohibits the trash and garbage bins from being in view from the street. Storing them in the garge is very beneficial to my lifestyle, accessible in inclement weather, easy to roll to street from garage, etc.

The point is that I am retired and go in and out of garage an average of 3 times a day. The mirrors are cycled every time. For seven years after the mirrors were replaced they have cycled for over 7655 times with no failure. I consider that very reliable.

Maybe the rather constant usage of the mirrors keep them in working condition, I don't know. Just trying to show that all mirrors don't have a big problem.
Old 10-31-14, 11:52 AM
Coulter
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

There is no crap in my garage. Our community prohibits the trash and garbage bins from being in view from the street. Storing them in the garge is very beneficial to my lifestyle, accessible in inclement weather, easy to roll to street from garage, etc.

The point is that I am retired and go in and out of garage an average of 3 times a day. The mirrors are cycled every time. For seven years after the mirrors were replaced they have cycled for over 7655 times with no failure. I consider that very reliable.

Maybe the rather constant usage of the mirrors keep them in working condition, I don't know. Just trying to show that all mirrors don't have a big problem.

It's hard to make the case the mirror housings don't have that many issues when you're telling us the story about how you got them replaced under your extended warranty.

It's obviously a design flaw that effects a lot of 430's (including mine), unless Lexus re-engineered them (unlikely), you'll probably be back at the dealership pretty soon getting them replaced for the 2nd time.
Old 10-31-14, 04:53 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

I manually fold my mirrors every time I park. So far so good on my 2001. I don't want to jinx myself, but every electrical accessory on this old timer works as it should.
Old 11-03-14, 02:23 PM
CA2WALS430
Intermediate

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

My experience with motors is that they both want to used and don't want to be used. I had a 1997 Acura RL in which I had to replace 3 out of the 4 power window regulators. Guess which one never got replaced in 250k miles?....the Driver's. I do not like the idea of using the folding option all the time, but I think you should do it once in a while.

By the way, I am having the folding mirror issue now on my 2003 LS430. I agree they are silly expensive but I just checked and with your ClubLexus discount at Sewell the mirrors are $344, still expensive but not horrible. There is probably enough detail on this post thanks to the contributors to do the install yourself. I am thinking about it.........I will try a little finesse first. I worry about junkyard parts for motors, since I feel like you are probably just buying the problem again? maybe.

My passenger mirror is perfect but Driver mirror is sticking, takes clicking the switch 7 times or so to get it in or out....could be a short? either way, I wish they would just sell the dumb motors separately. They probably do not because we would know how darn cheap they are.
Old 11-03-14, 04:20 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

I bet you could have the motor rebuilt. Worth looking into.
Old 11-03-14, 05:24 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
I bet you could have the motor rebuilt. Worth looking into.
The up/down and right/left motor assembly is easy to take apart. It has 2 separate motor made by ASMO http://asmo.co.jp/en/product/convenience/c_05.html, but I cannot find a distributor or a retailer that sells them. These motors are a bit smaller than the ones used for folding the mirror, and for door locks (see comparison on photo). Anyone knows where we can buy them?

So you're right if they are not readily available, rebuilding would be the second-best option.

Here's a photo of the folding motor, which is available on Amazon.com as you pointed out before... See https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...torial-12.html (Post #169 on Page 12).

Last edited by rkw77080; 11-03-14 at 05:47 PM.
Old 11-03-14, 06:06 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Those look the same as the door lock actuator motors. Are they d-shaft as well?
Old 11-03-14, 06:40 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

Yes, the folding motor has a d-shaft and is exactly the same as the door lock actuator motor.

The up/down and right/left motors (on the right in the photo below) are smaller...

Old 11-03-14, 08:27 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

This is great news! We need to add this to the faq list mods. The motors are easily found on Amazon too. I know I will do this before too long. It's great. $9 motor. There is your answer boys. $1200 to the dealer or $18 in new motors. You make the call...

Central Door Lock Actuator Motor FC-280PC-22125 FLAT SHAFT - Motor Accessories - Amazon.com Central Door Lock Actuator Motor FC-280PC-22125 FLAT SHAFT - Motor Accessories - Amazon.com

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 11-04-14 at 08:46 AM.
Old 11-04-14, 08:16 AM
CA2WALS430
Intermediate

That is good news!! Thank you! However, can anyone verify this is actually going to work? I do not care about the $9, but before I, a true novice, attempt mirror disassembly (scary), I want to know this is the right part.

Also, one question for you DIY-ers, I have read the instructions on how to remove the mirror glass, but is it that simple? Some people have mentioned glue, but in the video on you tube I see I do not see evidence of glue. Is it glued?....or just snapped in?
Old 11-04-14, 08:53 AM
CA2WALS430
Intermediate

WOOOOOPS!!!
I am soo sorry, I think I misread that diagram at Sewell that I mentioned above. I think $344 is the mirror housing, and the glass is another $278!!!!!!!!
What are they smoking? They already got the engineers paid, right?
Old 11-08-14, 06:31 PM
VerbalKent
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know it's been said before, but thanks to all that contributed the diagrams and information within this post...this is definitely going in my ever growing LS file, and in my humble opinion, is 'sticky' worthy.

Quick Reply: folding mirrors on ls 430