LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

folding mirrors on ls 430

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-13, 06:25 PM
rumedic
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default folding mirrors on ls 430

After about 5 yrs of usage it is best to keep your folding mirrors stationary, cost is 750 dollars to replace.
Old 07-07-13, 08:55 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus.

What year 430 do you have?
Old 07-07-13, 09:57 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by rumedic
After about 5 yrs of usage it is best to keep your folding mirrors stationary, cost is 750 dollars to replace.
not at the junkyard, more like $50
Old 07-08-13, 01:29 PM
rumedic
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lexus mirror problem ls2003

[QUOTE=RA40;8027612]Welcome to Club Lexus.

What year 430 do you have?[/QUOTE ]The model 2003. The mechanism that operates the mirror was inoperable and it could not be changed from a closed position.. The unit was purchased from LEXUS My cost was 750 dollar..
Old 10-29-14, 11:42 AM
99LSBrad
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Even that won't help. This morning my driver's side decided on it's own to fully extend, even though I don't use the folding option. I have viewed some other threads but the only one that seems like it would work in preventing this would involve cutting the power wire to the folding motor. Not keen on that.

I even removed the mirror control panel and unclipped the two harnesses on the fold side and it still does it! Fool proof!

Has anyone tried disconnecting the battery to see if it would reset?

This is the best car I have ever owned but stuff like this drives me crazy!

Originally Posted by rumedic
Old 10-29-14, 02:41 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by 99LSBrad
I have viewed some other threads but the only one that seems like it would work in preventing this would involve cutting the power wire to the folding motor. Not keen on that.
I agree - cutting the power wire seems a bit over-dramatic... The LS430's side mirror has 3 motors: Up/down motor, Left/right motor, and Folding motor. You can unplug the one(s) you want to disable. Just be sure to tape the exposed probes to avoid accidentally short circuit.

Old 10-29-14, 04:35 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Thanks for that picture with diagram.

People have different issues with the folding mirror. My issue is that my driver's mirror extends outward (away form the car) just slightly too far so I'm unable to properly adjust it. If I pull it inward, the mirror automatically goes outward when I start the car just slightly, even with the fold option disabled. My solution right now is to use a zip tie.

Is there a "proper" way to keep it from extending out too far and staying place without buy a new assembly? Will disconnecting the wire fix one if it it's loose?

I've seen this thread, and it seems a little hard to follow. Also, when I tried to remove the actual glass mirror, I really felt like it was going to break, it's supposed to be held in place by pressure tabs. It looks like it's very common for the mirror to break when trying to remove it from other posters. Wondering if there's a better way?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-05-cents.html

Last edited by BradTank; 10-29-14 at 04:40 PM.
Old 10-29-14, 06:34 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Here's one way to detach the mirror glass baseplate from its bracket...

Here's a picture of the mirror glass bracket (black plastic piece without glass) placed next to the bracket (white plastic).

Last edited by rkw77080; 10-29-14 at 07:16 PM.
Old 10-29-14, 06:59 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BradTank
My issue is that my driver's mirror extends outward (away form the car) just slightly too far so I'm unable to properly adjust it. If I pull it inward, the mirror automatically goes outward when I start the car just slightly, even with the fold option disabled.
Is there a "proper" way to keep it from extending out too far and staying place without buy a new assembly? Will disconnecting the wire fix one if it it's loose?
Let's try this... Disconnect the negative battery cable, set the retraction switch to Normal (Not Auto) and manually adjust your mirror (with external power - a 9V battery will work) to the proper extended position. Reinstall the negative battery cable and check retraction operation - 1) start your car and confirm that the mirror holds the new position, and 2) set the retraction switch to "Auto", turn off your car and allow the mirror to retract, then start your car and see if your mirror returns to the proper position.

You mention "it's loose"... Is your mirror also loose and floppy?

Last edited by rkw77080; 10-30-14 at 06:34 AM.
Old 10-29-14, 07:53 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

rkw77080 - thanks for taking the time to share the photos, diagrams, and tips on the LS430 mirrors - very nicely done and very helpful
Old 10-29-14, 09:43 PM
BradTank
Racer

Originally Posted by rkw77080
Let's try this... Disconnect the negative battery cable, set the retraction switch to Normal (Not Auto) and manually adjust your mirror to the proper extended position. Reinstall the negative battery cable and check retraction operation - 1) start your car and confirm that the mirror holds the new position, and 2) set the retraction switch to "Auto", turn off your car and allow the mirror to retract, then start your car and see if your mirror returns to the proper position.

You mention "it's loose"... Is your mirror also loose and floppy?
Thanks for the guidance.

It's not "floppy", it just pushes itself out to the farthest position, almost slightly hyperextending, but it stays there.

My cheap ghetto solution is basically grabbing it before it goes all the way out, and wrapping it with a zip tie , cinching it down. So far it works great, all I need it do is pull it in about a half inch, but I would prefer to fix it properly (as long as that doesn't mean a new $800 mirror housing from the dealer)

How do you "manually" adjust to the proper extended position? Does the mirror have a "memory" for that? I thought it only had a memory for the internal mirror adjustments, not the housing itself and how far it extends. i thought it was eiter all the way in or all the way out.
Old 10-30-14, 04:18 AM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BradTank
How do you "manually" adjust to the proper extended position? Does the mirror have a "memory" for that? I thought it only had a memory for the internal mirror adjustments, not the housing itself and how far it extends. i thought it was eiter all the way in or all the way out.
The folding motor normally operates on 12VDC, but you can connect a 9V battery to it to manually move the mirror housing to the proper position. See photos below for location of the folding motor and polarity to retract ("+" goes to where the green wire was and "-" goes to where the blue wire was) and extend (reverse "+" and "-") the mirror housing. Once you're happy with the new position, leave the power plug off to disable the folding function. Be sure to tape the connector to avoid accidental short circuit.

Alternatively if you want to reset the position stored in the ECU's "memory", disconnect the negative battery cable to cut power to the ECU before you do the manual adjustments. Once you're happy with the new position, reconnect the folding motor connector and the negative battery cable and the ECU will store this new position into its "memory".

Last edited by rkw77080; 10-30-14 at 06:24 AM.
Old 10-30-14, 09:13 AM
BradTank
Racer

Originally Posted by rkw77080
The folding motor normally operates on 12VDC, but you can connect a 9V battery to it to manually move the mirror housing to the proper position. See photos below for location of the folding motor and polarity to retract ("+" goes to where the green wire was and "-" goes to where the blue wire was) and extend (reverse "+" and "-") the mirror housing. Once you're happy with the new position, leave the power plug off to disable the folding function. Be sure to tape the connector to avoid accidental short circuit.

Alternatively if you want to reset the position stored in the ECU's "memory", disconnect the negative battery cable to cut power to the ECU before you do the manual adjustments. Once you're happy with the new position, reconnect the folding motor connector and the negative battery cable and the ECU will store this new position into its "memory".
So since the mirror is currently "zip tied" into the proper position, I should be able to simply unplug the negative battery cable, wait a bit, and then hook it back up, and then the ECU will remember that as the "new" position for the mirror and only extend to that point?

Interesting, I'll have to try that.
Old 10-30-14, 09:35 AM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

My only concern is the "zip tied" part... I would try first as you described. If that doesn't work, then try the 9V battery trick. I believe the mirror housing needs to be "driven" to the desired position by the motor, and not "forced" there with a zip tied. Remember if all else fails, you still have the option to "drive" the mirror housing to the desired position and then unplug the connector to keep it there, without any zip tied. Good luck... Let us know how it works out for you!
Old 10-30-14, 02:57 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

My 04 UL had the right side mirror experience the folding forward error in 2007. The dealer replaced both mirrors on my CPO extended warranty. I fold both mirrors ever time I enter the garage as I have to allow for 2 garbage barrels. I have not had a problem with the mirrors for the past 7 years and the car is now nearly 11 years old. I couldn't live without them! Very happy here.

Quick Reply: folding mirrors on ls 430