LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Headlight restoration

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-13, 06:01 PM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Headlight restoration

hi all just wanted to pass on some thoughts, i over the weekend for $100 had my headlight restored. a couple of thoughts
the visibility at night has greatly been enhanced
the look on our headlights is one of the nicest ever put on an automobile and must be restored to original condition to appreciate

transformed the car in looks.. takes 3 to 5 years off car in appearance

take your time and choose someone who is experienced and good i did and it paid off its hard work to restore them properly there was a half hour of sanding alone and the prep work to cover car with tape etc is pretty intense

anyone who enjoys there ls, will see a dramatic result with these beautiful headlights

safe driving
Old 07-01-13, 08:48 PM
BigWalt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any before and after pictures?
Old 07-02-13, 04:01 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

If a person knows what they are doing it takes no more than 15 minutes to mask, sand, polish and restore a set of headlights. There are a number of good kits available for $20 to $40. It really is amazing how headlight lenses can almost always be restored to like new.
Old 07-02-13, 04:47 AM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

big walt i have before and ater pictures alot of them if you can tell me after 7 months of being on board i still cant post pics, how to do it, kansas i know the kits, i picked a guy who actually took an hour to prepare the headlight with sanding and preparing, there is a painting process with chemicals that actually coat the glass and laminate so it lasts with uv protection thats the key differentiator, even others that do this work supposedly it lasts about a year, well see all i can say is the job looks great and our headlights are like chandeliers in a house and when there new its a huge difference, have fun
Old 07-02-13, 08:59 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by ls430lover
kansas i know the kits, i picked a guy who actually took an hour to prepare the headlight with sanding and preparing, there is a painting process with chemicals that actually coat the glass and laminate so it lasts with uv protection thats the key differentiator
The only headlight lens restoration systems I've seen "professionals" use are simply bulk versions of the same products that are available to consumers. The systems I use involve the application of urethane-like chemicals that restore UV protection.

I probably spent an hour or more the first couple of times I restored a set of headlight lenses and the results from my early efforts were not perfect. It is definitely a skill one develops with practice and one has to get past the initial shock of it looking like the lenses are being completely ruined during the restoration process.

I have to tell you that it is so much fun to see the transformation and to provide some happiness that I regularly volunteer to restore headlights lenses for friends and co-workers. There is an old RX300 with horribly clouded headlight lenses I see parked regularly on the street here. I've thought about doing a "stealth" lens restoration job just for fun except somebody might think I was vandalizing the vehicle while I was doing it. It would be especially fun to restore only the lens on one side of the RX to like new and let the owner wonder what happened!

Last edited by Kansas; 07-02-13 at 05:05 PM.
Old 07-02-13, 05:15 PM
ddmavis
Driver School Candidate

My story on 2001 LS430. Tried lens polish, didn't last but a few washes. Had Big-O Tire shop (yeah I also now wonder why) apply a kit, terrible results, product rep showed them how to do it better, yeah some better but not worth the $100 I spent. While having car paint work done a couple years later, body shop offered to fix them for, yup you guessed it, $100. They ended up not charging me anything. They sanded and simply applied clear coat and they look awesome and still do 2 years later. (Don't have a tire shop fix your Lexus headlights, duh.). :-)
Old 07-02-13, 05:18 PM
ddmavis
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kansas
The only headlight lens restoration systems I've seen "professionals" use are simply bulk versions of the same products that are available to consumers. The systems I use involve the application of urethane-like chemicals that restore UV protection.

I probably spent an hour or more the first couple of times I restored a set of headlight lenses and the results from my early efforts were not perfect. It is definitely a skill one develops with practice and one has to get past the initial shock of it looking like the lenses are being completely ruined during the restoration process.

I have to tell you that it is so much fun to see the transformation and to provide some happiness that I regularly volunteer to restore headlights lenses for friends and co-workers. There is an old RX300 with horribly clouded headlight lenses I see parked regularly on the street here. I've thought about doing a "stealth" lens restoration job just for fun except somebody might think I was vandalizing the vehicle while I was doing it. It would be especially fun to restore only the lens on one side of the RX to like new and let the owner wonder what happened!
I like the way you think KANSAS. What a great "community service" idea! It would definitely improve the look of your neighborhood.
Old 07-03-13, 08:34 AM
bobbyg49
Driver School Candidate

I had Clear Bra put on my light from day one. Just had it replaced as it was starting to look like it might be cracking. I have had no issues wit rocks, sand or dull lens. Have other tried this and found it to be just as good as me.? The clear bra really protects the hood and several other places great.

04 LS430 Black UL
Old 07-03-13, 08:44 AM
eggtart
Driver

Man I wish I could get $100 per pair for restoring headlights. I can do a pair in about 30min. 10 cars a day and I'd be set.

My steps:

1) Clay bar
2) wet sand 1500 grit (use high quality paper 3M black or equivalent)
3) wet sand 2500 grit
4) 3M heavy duty rubbing compound applied with D.A. polisher
5) 3M polishing compound
6) 3M plastic polish
7) 3M plastic sealant (restores UV protection to the plastic)

If you dont seal the headlight with some sort of UV protectant it's going to yellow and haze up again in a matter of months, especially in the sunnier climates

Last edited by eggtart; 07-03-13 at 08:50 AM.
Old 07-03-13, 08:46 AM
eggtart
Driver

BEFORE picture
Attached Thumbnails Headlight restoration-photo0445.jpg  
Old 07-03-13, 08:48 AM
eggtart
Driver

AFTER picture
Attached Thumbnails Headlight restoration-photo0446.jpg  
Old 07-03-13, 09:20 AM
ddmavis
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bobbyg49
I had Clear Bra put on my light from day one. Just had it replaced as it was starting to look like it might be cracking. I have had no issues wit rocks, sand or dull lens. Have other tried this and found it to be just as good as me.? The clear bra really protects the hood and several other places great.

04 LS430 Black UL
Is Clear Bra a brand? I just bought my wife a 2013 ES350 and had the complete 3M clear film package put on, but it did not include headlights. I have since looked for a DIY lens film for her car so they don't end up like my 2001 LS430 did. I would be interested in whether or not Clear Bra has just the headlight film.
Old 07-03-13, 12:47 PM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by eggtart
Man I wish I could get $100 per pair for restoring headlights. I can do a pair in about 30min. 10 cars a day and I'd be set.

My steps:

1) Clay bar
2) wet sand 1500 grit (use high quality paper 3M black or equivalent)
3) wet sand 2500 grit
4) 3M heavy duty rubbing compound applied with D.A. polisher
5) 3M polishing compound
6) 3M plastic polish
7) 3M plastic sealant (restores UV protection to the plastic)

If you dont seal the headlight with some sort of UV protectant it's going to yellow and haze up again in a matter of months, especially in the sunnier climates
Pretty much the same process I use but I go 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500 on the sanding. Depending on how bad it is. I also use Chemical Guys products instead of 3M but I dont think that makes a difference.
The following users liked this post:
DJB04LS430 (06-30-21)
Old 07-03-13, 12:57 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 114 Posts

i used sylvania restorer kit on my 01 tacoma and they turned out amazeing.
$20 great buy and it works,been over a year.i wax then twice a month.
Old 07-09-13, 07:27 AM
bobbyg49
Driver School Candidate

To DDMAVIS,

I was told the plastic film kit was called "Clear Bra" and it included 14 individual pieces. Two covered the headlights. I spoke with the installer and he told me he buys the film in bulk and then uses a computer program to cut whatever you want. I was replacing what the dealer installed in 2004 due to it was beginning to show wear. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Headlight restoration