LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Air Cooled Front Seats? Not so much

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-13, 05:24 PM
ECUJeb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Cooled Front Seats? Not so much

I have a 2006 LS with the climate controlled (ventilated) front seats. In the winter with the heat, they seem to work quite well. The cooling feature is almost non existent. I checked the filters and they seem fine. I could also feel and hear the small motor turning. Not sure what is going on. Seems to be both front seats. I have been in new Lexus models and felt almost a noticeable breeze from the seats in the cooling position. Is this normal for the older LS cars?
Old 06-19-13, 05:36 PM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes its pretty common for these cars. Seems the system is not that strong. Luckily my car seems to work ok. But a lot of others have the same complaint as you.
Old 06-19-13, 07:41 PM
DSRxGOOMPA
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by HiloDB1
Yes its pretty common for these cars. Seems the system is not that strong. Luckily my car seems to work ok. But a lot of others have the same complaint as you.
x2 my 05 is starting to not cool as well also
Old 06-19-13, 07:52 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Seat cooling feature on my 06 is barely noticeable when running but it does keep the seat cooler. On hot days it does work but its not a blast of cold air by any means. You need to turn it off for a while on a super hot day to fully appreciate what it feels like when its not on. But admittedly it is fairly;y weak and could be a lot stronger than it is.
Old 06-20-13, 06:28 AM
LEX ES300
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Seat cooling feature on my 06 is barely noticeable when running but it does keep the seat cooler. On hot days it does work but its not a blast of cold air by any means. You need to turn it off for a while on a super hot day to fully appreciate what it feels like when its not on. But admittedly it is fairly;y weak and could be a lot stronger than it is.
Exactly the same as mine.

Don't worry about it too much. I was a bit disappointed with my seat coolers too but its just the way they make them.

I tried the coolers in a brand new Lexus CT200h when I was given the car for the day as a loan from Lexus when my ls was in for a service and they were no different!
I felt better after I discovered that.
Old 06-20-13, 08:25 AM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The seat coolers aren't designed to "blow" air out of the seat; you're not going to feel a breeze. If that was the case your junk would be ice cold in a matter of minutes. They're designed to give some ventilation to keep your butt from becoming sweaty and funky. There's always all these complaints about the seats not cooling enough, as people are expecting a rush of wind to come flying out of the perforated leather.

Turn the seat cooler on and just drive the damn car for fifteen minutes and you'll notice that your *** is nice and comfortably dry. That's the entire point of the cooler, to alleviate a sweaty mess in your shorts, not to blow your junk funk all throughout the car and turn your pecker into an icicle.
Old 06-20-13, 09:13 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by ancdmd
The seat coolers aren't designed to "blow" air out of the seat; you're not going to feel a breeze. If that was the case your junk would be ice cold in a matter of minutes. They're designed to give some ventilation to keep your butt from becoming sweaty and funky. There's always all these complaints about the seats not cooling enough, as people are expecting a rush of wind to come flying out of the perforated leather.

Turn the seat cooler on and just drive the damn car for fifteen minutes and you'll notice that your *** is nice and comfortably dry. That's the entire point of the cooler, to alleviate a sweaty mess in your shorts, not to blow your junk funk all throughout the car and turn your pecker into an icicle.
But I don't think it's enough to really even keep your sweat at bay.

It's just a poor design in my opinion. Obviously, when someone uses air conditioned seats, they're probably going to be in a really hot climate and they want relief. Not asking themselves if it's actually working or not.

They could easily put a **** to control say the fan speed for the person that wants a lot of cold air or the person who just wants next to nothing coming out of the seats.
Old 06-20-13, 09:24 AM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Several members have mentioned that the problem is due to the compression of the seat cushion.
Perhaps a new cushion would give adequate cold air flow.
Old 06-20-13, 07:51 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

this may be one of the more colorful and entertaining posts I have read on the forum...
Old 06-20-13, 08:22 PM
ma61
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Came to post this, well worded.
Old 06-20-13, 08:22 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
this may be one of the more colorful and entertaining posts I have read on the forum...
I have to agree with you on that one. It's the funniest post I've seen on the LS430 forum.
Old 06-21-13, 01:01 AM
VNN326
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

WE HAVE SEAT COOLERS? lol jk mine works okay. on hot days its still hot but i do notice NO SWEAT. black interior. <---
Old 06-21-13, 08:13 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

People complain that the seat cooler doesn't work. But it does. Just put your hand down on the seat between your crotch and you can feel that the seat is cool and the airflow. Your butt does prevent some flow when you are sitting on it. How can you expect flow when you are covering the vent holes? If you put a towel on the seat, you can then actually feel the cool air. I live in Phoenix and think the seat cooling is great.
Old 06-24-13, 12:59 PM
HTOWNLS500
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

mine works ok, and on a hot Texas summer day, you appreciate the little things like seat coolers, even if it isnt blowing out super strong. Getting into a black on black car after its been baking, you will notice the difference unless its broken.
Old 09-11-13, 06:59 AM
ECUJeb
Driver School Candidate

Something I noticed over the last couple of weeks that seems to help the cooling effect. If you set the A/C to blow through the dash and the floor, it puts more cool air down low for the little fans to suck in. I noticed a difference then compared to just the air blowing out of the dash. I think newer versions actually have A/C ducts that go under the seats. Ours just seem to have the little fans.

Quick Reply: Air Cooled Front Seats? Not so much