LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Air Cooled Front Seats? Not so much

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-13, 07:54 AM
Natey2
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ancdmd
The seat coolers aren't designed to "blow" air out of the seat; you're not going to feel a breeze. If that was the case your junk would be ice cold in a matter of minutes. They're designed to give some ventilation to keep your butt from becoming sweaty and funky. There's always all these complaints about the seats not cooling enough, as people are expecting a rush of wind to come flying out of the perforated leather.

Turn the seat cooler on and just drive the damn car for fifteen minutes and you'll notice that your *** is nice and comfortably dry. That's the entire point of the cooler, to alleviate a sweaty mess in your shorts, not to blow your junk funk all throughout the car and turn your pecker into an icicle.
You forgot to mention that the design of one's butt can adversely affect the cooling capability of the seat cooler.

Sent from an Android device using IB AutoGroup forum reader.
Old 09-11-13, 09:25 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Butt design I am sure plays a factor. Larger people tend to affected by heat more and are more sweaty. I did recently replace my seat filters and this did help some as the fronts were pretty dirty. If anything, I just like the fact that the cooled seats keep the seat temp much lower then it would without them.
Old 09-11-13, 10:20 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

So far I've only noticed the cooled seats if I'm wearing basketball shorts. I wish it got a little colder but it was a cool feature.
Old 09-11-13, 12:29 PM
chunkyda
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I live in FL and the seat cooler is more noticable in shorts. Somewhere on this forum it was recommended to direct cold air to the dash and the floor and use cardboard to block floor flow after the front seat in order to direct the rear seat floor air to stay under the seat. This would theoretically create an overabundance of cool air under the seat for the blower to consume and send upward to the front seat occupant.
Old 09-11-13, 07:21 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

If you not wearing any pants the AC seats feel extremely cool. Problem is you may get arrested so that's not really a viable solution.
Old 09-11-13, 08:40 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

It should be obvious that the design intent of this car is to pamper the owner, not freeze his xxxx's off! Enough said. I, for one, appreciate that for what it is.
Old 09-11-13, 09:48 PM
sr20mofo
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

theres a simple $5 diy to freeze ur butts off.
Old 09-12-13, 04:48 PM
walleyeman
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a new owner, I thought the coolers would be great but they really don't do all that much.

What I am thrilled with is the small A/C vent under the steering wheel. With a pair of shorts on and some careful aiming this little wonder can cool off my "core" much quicker than the seat coolers.
Old 09-12-13, 07:02 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by walleyeman
As a new owner, I thought the coolers would be great but they really don't do all that much.

What I am thrilled with is the small A/C vent under the steering wheel. With a pair of shorts on and some careful aiming this little wonder can cool off my "core" much quicker than the seat coolers.
I never noticed that little fan.
Old 09-12-13, 09:12 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by walleyeman

The fan is replaced by the driver's knee air bag, I think starting with '04.
Old 10-06-15, 12:55 PM
palmerruss
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default made me laugh too

i agree; the author of the summary is colorful to say the least. made me laugh out loud
Old 10-08-15, 06:30 PM
volson
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sr20mofo
theres a simple $5 diy to freeze ur butts off.
Please share.

Also Porsche Panamera seats blow ice cold!
Old 10-08-15, 10:01 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
I never noticed that little fan.
Wait, which fan?
Old 10-09-15, 01:36 AM
Fixman
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's funny how you get pepole complain about somthing that was an innovation at its time. That was more than 10 years a go.
Keeping in mined that it was of the 1st system used in car seats, it was improved over time. The second thing if you have a 06 that will be 9 year old, taking into consideration the degradation f the foame in the seat, blower moter, & dust/dirt acumelating in the passages that will reduce the efficiency of the system.
I live wher the temps reached 60 c this summer. And still happy with what I have.
Old 04-29-16, 07:50 AM
PolishDude
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

question, is cool air supposed to just come out of the bottom of the seat or the seat back too? I can feel a noticeable amount coming out of the bottom (can even feel it in jeans) but dont feel anything out of the seat back

Quick Reply: Air Cooled Front Seats? Not so much