LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

New lexus owner 2001 LS 430 UL

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-13, 12:05 PM
tjwashow
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New lexus owner 2001 LS 430 UL

So i am pretty pumped about the purchase. I pick it up tomorrow night, its black with the bordeaux wood trim. Black leather inside. Its been maintained at the dealership in Palatine IL since day one.

Ill try and post a pic.

Its got a couple small things wrong with it, blown sub and the hood struts are shot. Air ride suspension goes up and down like it should, this thing seems to have plenty of acceleration as well. Not close to my z28 but for a luxury boat its great.

The reason i got it is because I am having a child and thought this would be a great reliable luxurious and SAFE car. Its built strong and seems to be plenty big enough. i am now an official baby chauffer.

I already ordered a polk replacement sub to replace the blown one. Oh it is also missing the change holder tray next to the parking brake. Anyone know where to pick one up for cheap?
I also need a new nav disc, so I will be proabbly just buying one from sewell lexus.

If anyone has any tips about the car, I am going to have a hell of a time figuring out all the damn buttons on this thing. Also figuring out the navigation will be a task. But I hope to enjoy this car until the price of the new Lexus LS 430 comes down.
Attached Thumbnails New lexus owner 2001 LS 430 UL-lex.jpg  

Last edited by tjwashow; 06-14-13 at 01:06 PM.
Old 06-14-13, 01:15 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Congratulations!!!
Old 06-14-13, 01:46 PM
dfkd
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

SUB should be an easy fix with black silicon around the outside of the ring.

Congrats.
Old 06-14-13, 02:04 PM
tjwashow
Rookie

hey thanks for the congrats! and i just order the polk 8inch that most people order off amazon. all of 60 bucks for new one.
Old 06-14-13, 02:18 PM
tjwashow
Rookie

oh and does anyone have any tips for the woodgrain? there are some fine swirls on it that i would like to polish up. I bought some polishing compound for the outside of the car, and i have heard i can use this on the woodgrain too to clean up the swirls. anyone have a before and after pic?
Old 06-14-13, 02:25 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Suggest you log on to Lexus.com, register and provide your VIN. You can then go to mylexus.com and request that they mail you a hard copy of the owners manual. It is a necessity for this car.

Ref new coin tray: Sewellparts.com and register as a Club Lexus member. There you will generally find all the parts you need at a lower price than found elsewhere. I have been printing their price and taking it to my Lexus dealer for parts I need and asking that they match the Sewell price plus shipping of course. In most cases they will do that.

Ref woodgrain: The finish is polyurethane varnish. You can basically treat it just like the exterior of your car. Very fine compound should work.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the car. Congratulations!
Old 06-14-13, 02:59 PM
tjwashow
Rookie

Red face

Originally Posted by jayclapp
Suggest you log on to Lexus.com, register and provide your VIN. You can then go to mylexus.com and request that they mail you a hard copy of the owners manual. It is a necessity for this car.

Ref new coin tray: Sewellparts.com and register as a Club Lexus member. There you will generally find all the parts you need at a lower price than found elsewhere. I have been printing their price and taking it to my Lexus dealer for parts I need and asking that they match the Sewell price plus shipping of course. In most cases they will do that.

Ref woodgrain: The finish is polyurethane varnish. You can basically treat it just like the exterior of your car. Very fine compound should work.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the car. Congratulations!
Jay thanks for the reply man! I went to sewell parts now i need to register and get a discount there.

i also did register on lexus.com, and ordered a hard copy manual yesterday lol. I think its a badass feature to have your own website like that. It has every service record for the car as well which is a huuuuge plus.

And holy ****, 180 for a new coin holder

Im gonna scour ebay for a bit for one, or maybe even try and cut some tray liner type material out and line that cubby to put my phone or something in so its not lsiding around.

Oh and one more thing, is there anyway to modify the nav unit to accept an aux input or usb?
Old 06-14-13, 06:13 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by tjwashow

And holy ****, 180 for a new coin holder

Oh and one more thing, is there anyway to modify the nav unit to accept an aux input or usb?
Sewell Club Lexus member price of the coin box is $131. Not an unreasonable price to keep the car in original condition.

I recommend VisaTech for a unit to provide an aux input. I have one that allows me to put my iPod in the glovebox. It is controlled by all the controls you have for radio/CD/Cassette, including steering wheel control. Display is on the NAV screen. I see the title of each CD that is playing and the title of each song. This unit also automatically checks the initial nav screen to allow it to display. Also, my iPod is charged when in the car and never comes out until I want to add new music. There are posts on this site that show how to install the unit yourself. I watched them and then decided to do it myself. Couldn't be more happy with the results.
Old 06-14-13, 08:27 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You might also try a local juk yard - oops, I mean recycler - for the coin box.
I think jayclapp meant "VaisTech". Computers are picky regarding spelling :-)
Old 06-15-13, 06:36 AM
tjwashow
Rookie

sweet thanks for the recommendation, and yes, I saw that when the discount was applied for the $131. It is not unreasonable.