LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

'04 LS430 Throttle Tip-In Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-04, 04:50 PM
Beowulf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '04 LS430 Throttle Tip-In Problem?

Recently I've noticed a problem with throttle tip-in, especially when using the Power transmission mode. I was in line at a drive in-window today and gently eased the pedal to move up and there was a momentary hesitation, followed by a abrupt forward surge. This has happened to me a few times recently. Any others with similar experiences? Drive by wire anomaly?

TIA!
Old 05-09-04, 02:27 AM
pvo
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my car when going to a yield sign, if I don't stop completely and then continue on, sometimes I have hestitation. Not sure if it is the same issue or not.
Old 05-09-04, 01:39 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have heard of problems with the Drive by Wire systems on all different brands of cars and have not heard of them being repaired...............different types of outside interferances can cause problems !
Old 05-09-04, 06:56 PM
carguyay
Rookie

Question Yes

My 04 Black/Black sport does the same thing but not always. It has 10,000 hard miles ha. I have my foot in it a lot. Drove it on a trip got about 30 mpg. My 76 year Dad was driving and was doing 105 and didn't know it. Funny and scary. hehe
Old 05-09-04, 10:00 PM
Brett
Rookie

My '04 does it. really the only gripe i have with the car....makes me miss the smooth as silk drivetrain in my cadillac
Old 05-11-04, 05:25 AM
Mandingo
Driver

Me too. I was wondering if it was just me.

When pulling away I have to feather the throttle very carefully - sometimes there's a half second pause before it starts pulling. Not an issue except if you need to get away in a hurry.

Sometimes the traction control is the cause - occasionally i glance down and notice the trac control indicator is flashing, especially when turning (e.g. right turn from a stop sign).

I hope it can be adjusted.
Old 05-11-04, 02:14 PM
Seattle IS300
Driver School Candidate

Hi,

I was exeriencing this same issue, untill the dealer reset the ECM.
I noticed a difference, wnen compared to resetting the ECM my selft (unplug - battery cable).

Try it and let us know...

DZ
Old 05-12-04, 08:17 AM
cschow
Rookie

I'm not sure if any TSIBs have been issued for the 04 LS, but you should call the dealer service department and have them check.
Old 10-30-04, 06:32 PM
Mandingo
Driver

I think this is related to the other threads on unusual/uncomfortable low speed transmission behavior on LS430's, especially the 04's.

I have been living with this for a while too and trying to understand what is going on. Some people describe it as "hesitation" and others as "abrupt tip-in" behavior.

I think it is related to the fact that the transmission picks too low a gear when pulling from low speed - particularly noticable in stop-and-go traffic, at yield signs and taking rolling turns - anywhere where you need to pull away but the car is already travelling at ~10mph. If you watch the tachometer it hits over 2000 rpm during this procedure, even with very gentle throttle behavior. This is clearly too low a gear, possibly set this way to improve acceleration but at a cost of smoothness.

I find if you select manual shifting mode and upshift a couple of times this effect is greatly reduced.

Yes, you shouldn't have to do this on a $70,000 car but until they reprogram the shift patterns I find this works well, especially in traffic where you have some time on your hands to change the transmission mode.
Old 10-30-04, 08:31 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the same problem in my '98, when I’m in the neighborhood making turns, whenever I tap the gas, the car jumps, I have to do it VERY VERY easily, or resort to snow mode to avoid jerking my passengers. I tried resting the ECU, and the problem went away, and came back a few days later.

I don’t know what to do, its really bothering me.
Old 12-06-04, 02:34 PM
Mandingo
Driver

Default Shift pattern upgrade available for LS430

I just got a call from my dealer - apparently there is a software shift pattern upgrade that they are just rolling out now to improve the low speed jerkiness/hesitation of the 6-speed transmissions.

This was the last remaining issue I had with my LS430 - if this really does fix the problem I will be one happy camper.

I'll know by Friday evening.
Old 12-06-04, 08:49 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Default Re: Shift pattern upgrade available for LS430

Originally posted by Mandingo
I just got a call from my dealer - apparently there is a software shift pattern upgrade that they are just rolling out now to improve the low speed jerkiness/hesitation of the 6-speed transmissions.

This was the last remaining issue I had with my LS430 - if this really does fix the problem I will be one happy camper.

I'll know by Friday evening.
How about us 5-speeders?
Old 12-06-04, 09:47 PM
Mandingo
Driver

I'm not 100% certain it is limited to 6-speed only - he just said 6-speed to me since he knew that's what I have. Call your dealer to see - there is a TSB coming out on this shortly apparently.

Good luck.
Old 12-06-04, 10:53 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Originally posted by Mandingo
I'm not 100% certain it is limited to 6-speed only - he just said 6-speed to me since he knew that's what I have. Call your dealer to see - there is a TSB coming out on this shortly apparently.

Good luck.
Thanks for the info, I really think it’s a bit too late for a TSB on a 98, and I don’t think warranty would cover it (since we are out already), so I don’t know what the deal with that. But then, I don’t think they will make us pay for a manufacturing mistake, but yet it’s not a recall…. hmmmm... I just hope they find a fix.

But I’m surprised they haven’t fixed this already, it’s very noticeable and annoying predicament, especially when your making turns in your neighborhood.
Old 12-07-04, 01:49 AM
babyGS3
Lexus Champion

my 99 gs3 has this problem... but my 2001 LS doesnt. The LS is smooth all the way. Is the 2001 not fully drive by wire?

Quick Reply: '04 LS430 Throttle Tip-In Problem?