LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

IS 300, GS/ES 300 or LS 430

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-13, 02:40 PM
snydely
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS 300, GS/ES 300 or LS 430

So I'm looking to upgrade from my 2002 Saturn SC2. I'm in the market to spend about 6-12K. I drive 30K miles a year and spend most of the time on the highway. I'm trying to decide between an IS 300, GS 300/ES 300 and the LS 430. Can anyone tell me the biggest differences. I realize the IS 300 is a smaller and more sporty care but I really don't know the differences between the GS/ES models and then the LS 430. What car would you choose if you were around 40, in sales and drove 30-40K miles a year? and why.

Thanks,

Chad
Old 06-02-13, 03:42 PM
bootnylee
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you test driven any of the cars yet? you are considering small to big and you had a small car before you need to research some more before asking on the forum..not being..I'm just saying bc that's what I did before buying an ls.... had an Acura tl prior...love the car... good luck

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 06-02-13, 04:20 PM
tcr101
Lead Lap

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

When comparing the GS/ES the big differences to me is GS = rwd, ES = fwd. Comparing the GS300 to LS430, Ls is a bigger car and has a 4.3l v8 compared to the gs300's v6 (unless you are considering the gs430).

All are nice rides, but if mpg is important to you, I may consider the IS/ES/GS series compared to the LS. As bootnylee has mentioned, test drive the cars and see what you like the best.
Old 06-02-13, 07:51 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

IS would be most comparable in size, but much better in performance and luxury. If you did sales your SC2, then you probably did not need luxury, or are you saying you need it now? IS, GS, and LS are all rear wheel drive with ES being only front wheel drive like your Saturn. For 12k you're getting a high 100k+ GS or LS and probably just base, no nav or luxury. ES you are around 80k or so, and IS probably lowest miles. LS would be most comfortable highway cruiser and really, probably most fuel efficient given that a V8 is giving around 27mpg highway. I think the ES with 6 only does perhaps 28 mpg.
Old 06-02-13, 08:16 PM
snydely
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
IS would be most comparable in size, but much better in performance and luxury. If you did sales your SC2, then you probably did not need luxury, or are you saying you need it now? IS, GS, and LS are all rear wheel drive with ES being only front wheel drive like your Saturn. For 12k you're getting a high 100k+ GS or LS and probably just base, no nav or luxury. ES you are around 80k or so, and IS probably lowest miles. LS would be most comfortable highway cruiser and really, probably most fuel efficient given that a V8 is giving around 27mpg highway. I think the ES with 6 only does perhaps 28 mpg.
I'm looking for a better build and quieter car than the saturn. I bought it for MPG's and it was cheap. I'm ready to spend a bit more now and I need something where I can talk on the phone and be able to hear the other person on the other end. The saturn is what it is and comfortable and quiet isn't what that car is all about. But 35 MPG's is nice.
Old 06-02-13, 08:18 PM
snydely
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bootnylee
have you test driven any of the cars yet? you are considering small to big and you had a small car before you need to research some more before asking on the forum..not being..I'm just saying bc that's what I did before buying an ls.... had an Acura tl prior...love the car... good luck

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
I need to go drive them. I'm leaning towards the IS and the LS. I know they are two extremes but I'm either going sporty or luxury. Granted the IS isn't the super sports car but I think it might be a good balance.
Old 06-02-13, 09:25 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want a blend of sportiness and luxury, people here often recommend the GS. Think of it as japan's answer to the 5 series. I drove one and wasn't too impressed and like the 5 series much more (but that's just my humble opinion). If you're not too concerned with speed or acceleration, the GS300 should suit you just fine. If you want some extra power and smoothness, I can certainly vouch for the 4.3L V8 they make as being one of the best mass production engines ever made.
Old 06-02-13, 09:56 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I own a 99 Saturn SL2 and a few Lexus' as well. If you don't mind small cars I'd recommend the IS300. Aftermarket parts seem to be easy to find and the 2JZ-GE engine is pretty reliable. They also come with a 5-speed manual transmission. They're also getting pretty cheap now.

The GS and ES are good cars too. The GS300 shares the same engine as the IS300. It's a great car if you find the IS and ES to be too small. Both would fit your price range and you would probably have enough money left over to do extra maintenance. The LS430 is the best car of the group but it's also the most expensive. You may have a hard time finding a really nice one for $12,000 or less, but it can be done.

From my experience with my Saturn, any Lexus would be a major step up. Will you be hanging on to the Saturn or selling it? I kept mine around due the insanely high prices of premium gas in my area and the Saturn gets decent gas mileage. If you can afford to own both a new car and your SC2, keep it around for a while.
Old 06-03-13, 07:17 AM
snydely
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kira X
I own a 99 Saturn SL2 and a few Lexus' as well. If you don't mind small cars I'd recommend the IS300. Aftermarket parts seem to be easy to find and the 2JZ-GE engine is pretty reliable. They also come with a 5-speed manual transmission. They're also getting pretty cheap now.

The GS and ES are good cars too. The GS300 shares the same engine as the IS300. It's a great car if you find the IS and ES to be too small. Both would fit your price range and you would probably have enough money left over to do extra maintenance. The LS430 is the best car of the group but it's also the most expensive. You may have a hard time finding a really nice one for $12,000 or less, but it can be done.

From my experience with my Saturn, any Lexus would be a major step up. Will you be hanging on to the Saturn or selling it? I kept mine around due the insanely high prices of premium gas in my area and the Saturn gets decent gas mileage. If you can afford to own both a new car and your SC2, keep it around for a while.
From what I've heard the IS doens't seem like the car for me. I'm really wanting to have a smooth quieter ride and that doesn't seem to fit the bill. I'll have to go drive one to see what I think.

The Saturn.....I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it yet. Might sell it might keep it. As long as you keep in mind what the car was designed for it is a nice car. I love saturnfans.com and all the help they have given me the last 2-3 years. I'm just done with road noise and the constant issues with the car. I might even wait until the next gas hike and try and sell it then.
Old 06-03-13, 10:07 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

The IS will be the 'harshest' of the bunch. Fun cars to whip around in, but the MPG isn't there, or the GS

The ES is mediocre in day to day [speaking for city driving in my case] and unsure of the LS.

I would recommend going onto fuelly and searching each of these cars from random owners that post up their fuel slips to get as close to real-world MPG's as possible... since it seems to be key for someone in your position.

It will be unbiased, day to day info and not the SAE/gov't agency 'ideal' numbers which seem to always be off for anything I look at....
Old 06-03-13, 11:01 AM
Sentinel
Pole Position

Ive driven them all the Is300 is sport but smaller (I like it), it handles well but is prone to snap oversteer if you drive it like its nuts. Its mpg is mediocore.

The ls430 is huge in comparison much lighter steering mine has always felt a little sloppy but you are very isolated from the outside.

The gs300 I have drive numerious times but cant really say much about it..

You really have to drive em.

I think MPG the is300 to ls430 is probably less then youd think. my ls430 ranges from 17 - 27 depending on where im driving. I dont remember ever getting much over 20 on the is300. GS has the same engine as the is300 or the ls430 depending on if you go I6 or v8.
Old 06-03-13, 11:04 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Friend of mine had a Saturn... great car and mileage until the timing 'chain' broke and ruined the engine. Seems it's a known problem with those cars that the manufacturer only owned up to fixing on certain models build during a few months one year. Unbelievable that there allowed to get away with that... anyways...upgraded her to a 2001 Toyota Avalon with about 100k on it and she wonders why she ever thought the Saturn was a good car...
I'd go LS for the money, ride, amenities and reliability... highway mileage will be high 20s... just got 29.2 on my mom's 2001 that has 140k miles on it...
Old 06-03-13, 04:11 PM
cmara2k9
Pole Position

I drove a Saturn sl for a year and all I can say is that I miss the MPG's other than that it was too cramped and small for me plus it was green and I didn't care for that color at all...It was just a car to get from point A to B...but damn they get good gas mileage lol