LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Air Pump Compressor for Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-13, 01:25 PM
Bobwplace
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Pump Compressor for Suspension

Have a 2001 LS430, UL, 95,000 miles. For the past 4-5 years on cold start-up, heard a noise, sounded like it was coming from right side of dash or engine compartment. Took it to the dealer to replace an oxygen sensor and asked them to check out the noise. They say it is the air pump compressor for the suspension topping off the air in the suspension. The noise then goes away. Replacing the compressor plus the dryer and labor is $3,000. The technicians said it will be ok for another 3-4 years. It keeps the air suspension at the proper level. Car has had all the recommended service done by Lexus including replacing the timing belt. The car was a lease car and I bought it as cpo. Everything thing else is fine - just a little noise on a cold start-up. Drive the car 5-6k miles a year. Would you advise (1) keep driving it; (2) send $3k on repair now; or (3) sell it? I am retired and also have a 2013 RX350. Appreciate your comments.
Old 05-23-13, 02:59 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The noise is normal. Do not replace the compressor unless it has failed.
Old 05-23-13, 07:34 PM
A1Lexis
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And when it does fail, replace it with Megan adjustable coilovers for less than 1K installed for the set. That's my plan.
Old 05-24-13, 05:09 AM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

no, do not do that. you'll kill the ride
Old 05-24-13, 09:10 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 414 Likes on 342 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Lynzoid
no, do not do that. you'll kill the ride
Yep! Unless you like a harsher and sporty ride, don't go with the Megans.

If you don't mind spending the money on the compressor then replace that.
Old 05-24-13, 10:51 AM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

you can get air unit from scrappers for nuts
Old 05-24-13, 02:27 PM
vineyvo2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension

You can also purchase a performance air ride suspension system which is adjustable.

http://www.airliftperformance.com/ap...imports/lexus/
Old 05-24-13, 03:09 PM
A1Lexis
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Then maybe it's just the LS suspension. I do know when I installed BC coils on my IS and Megans on my SC430, both cars rode better than OEM. Once I fully had them dialed in on the dampening with alignment, both cars handeled better and drove better. This not only from me, but from current IS and SC owners who drove them and made the switch also. The Megans are an alternative. If you have the cash, go to your Lexus dealer and have them replace the failed parts.
Old 05-24-13, 04:25 PM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

get non-airsus ls and gut IT. if you like gutting stuff...
Old 05-27-13, 07:53 PM
gridpower
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My 2001 UL 125k miles has this symptom during startup. When I get 2 big bodies (alive ones) in the back seat you can hear the air compressor kick in as well. to compensate.

The dead bodies go into the trunk LOL

If your compressor ever does fail, you can always get another from a salvage parts place like Lynzoid said, so DON't pay the $ 3k for that service.

But, I think it is money better spent, it you feel it is a car you will keep long term, would be to swap out the air suspension, with a SPORT suspension using LEXUS parts. There are some CLUB LEXUS threads relating to this if you search. I drove a 2004 with SPORT suspension and LOVED the ride. It felt great and it was a car with 95k miles.

The air suspension will fail at some point. NOT if, but WHEN. Plus, the ride quality isn't that great in my opinion. Too soft for me, but you may like that. It is just the cost of the air struts is just too high if one of them fails.

My 2001 UL with 125k suspension is still working OK, but the hits on bumps on my passenger front side is a bit harsh for it to be truly 100 percent. Could be the bushings on the control arm, but haven't really checked yet.

Plus the ole "gangsta lean" on the front drivers side wheel (which sits higher than all of the other wheels drives me a bit mad). This is also a very common problem and I have adjusted the rod that affects that wheel height as low as it will go, but it still is too high.

I am gonna keep my car long term, so my plan will be to do this SPORT suspension swap in the next few months. Parts and labor under $2k.
Old 12-06-16, 11:26 AM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

My suspension's air compressor had been making that terrible groaning noise for the last couple of years which I just kind of accepted as it was on its way to dying so I finally mentioned it to my service advisor at Lexus. He's been my advisor for 17 years so I trust him. He said it just needs new bushings. The bushings fail and then you can hear the air compressor. He said if they're left failed for too long the compressor eventually fails too, something about too much vibration or something. It's about $350 to replace bushings, mostly all labor because they have to remove the whole setup and reinstall. He said most advisors would've just sold me a new compressor at 3k. Anyway, if you can hear the air compressor at all just get new bushings installed. I cannot hear the damn thing now!!!
The following users liked this post:
TurboTodd (01-03-17)
Old 12-06-16, 04:03 PM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

You are lucky to have a trustworthy advisor. I had the same problem and was told to replace the compressor for $3,000. So I just drove with it that way until I sold my '02 UL. My advice, show him your appreciation at the holidays with a bottle of a favorite adult beverage or other suitable gift.
Old 01-01-17, 11:07 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by aypues
My suspension's air compressor had been making that terrible groaning noise for the last couple of years which I just kind of accepted as it was on its way to dying so I finally mentioned it to my service advisor at Lexus. He's been my advisor for 17 years so I trust him. He said it just needs new bushings. The bushings fail and then you can hear the air compressor. He said if they're left failed for too long the compressor eventually fails too, something about too much vibration or something. It's about $350 to replace bushings, mostly all labor because they have to remove the whole setup and reinstall. He said most advisors would've just sold me a new compressor at 3k. Anyway, if you can hear the air compressor at all just get new bushings installed. I cannot hear the damn thing now!!!
Does the front bumper cover have to come off the car to get to the compressor?
Old 01-02-17, 10:30 AM
volson
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ancdmd
Does the front bumper cover have to come off the car to get to the compressor?
anyone have the part number for the bushings?
Old 01-03-17, 06:33 PM
TurboTodd
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by aypues
Same situation here.. I thought mine was dying a slow death, but my indy shop was honest as well and did the bushings and all noise was gone..
The following users liked this post:
aypues (01-04-17)

Quick Reply: Air Pump Compressor for Suspension