LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Steering wheel free play '01 UL

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-14, 02:22 PM
honasbone
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel free play '01 UL

Hi all. I have a very small amount of free play in my steering wheel that makes one handed freeway driving a bit annoying and physically tiring, and two handed driving less than comfortable. It's not horrendous. But the car doesn't feel very planted, especially at freeway speeds. i have to move my hands 1/2 - 3/4" one way or the other to get the wheels to start doing something. Doesn't seem like much. But for comparison, this issue is non-existant in my 2009 Kia Sedona minivan. That steering wheel is tight as a drum. And one handed driving on the freeway is completely comfortable and confident. I can't imagine Lexus designed the steering to be anything other than at least just as tight as a Kia

I was able to partially correct some of the issue following the mod done in this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-movement.html

The free play was marginally reduced, but definitely still there. The biggest impact was to the vibes and noise at freeway speed that I can only assume have been traveling up the steering column. The steering column wobble over bumps is virtually gone. So, it did some good. Unfortunately it didn't tune out all of the free play like I hoped. I could further crank on the zip tie, but I don't want to damage anything. And I don't think that is the issue anyway.

I read a forum post over here...

http://www.automotiveforums.com/t370...ng_slop__.html

... that said there are generally two causes for steering wheel free play:

1. a worn steering box
2. a worn intermediate shaft

Was curious if any of you are noticing about 1/2" to 3/4" of free play, especially on the freeway and have been able to correct it. If so, what methods did you use? Did you have to mess with the steering box or intermediate shaft?

Appreciate your thoughts on this!
Old 05-28-14, 02:54 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

I had something similar. Here's the thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ng-column.html
Old 05-28-14, 02:55 PM
fensterlip
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think this is almost always worn bushings in the various tie rods, control arms etc. I would take it to an alignment shop that is very familiar with Lexus / Toyota and have them check the bushings.
With the bushings replaced it will drive like a new car.
Old 05-28-14, 02:56 PM
fensterlip
Pole Position

Default Look For Worn Bushings

I think this is almost always worn bushings in the various tie rods, control arms etc. I would take it to an alignment shop that is very familiar with Lexus / Toyota and have them check the bushings.
Old 05-28-14, 03:04 PM
fensterlip
Pole Position

Default Look For Worn Bushings

Old 05-29-14, 10:08 AM
honasbone
Driver

Originally Posted by Bob04
I had something similar. Here's the thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ng-column.html
Good read. Thanks for sharing that. Will give it some thought. Wish I had some idea on the cost. I'll call around to see what the job goes for these days.
Old 05-29-14, 10:15 AM
honasbone
Driver

Originally Posted by fensterlip
I took the car to a pretty solid alignment shop recently. They didn't report anything on the bushings. But they may not have been very familiar with the car.

I've wondered about bushings myself. The car is 13 years old after all. And there is a relatively loud *whack* going over certain bumps on the passenger side front wheel. That's gotta' be some sort of failing bushing. The air suspension still rides great otherwise.