LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Couple of questions please....

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-13, 11:34 PM
99ssblack
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple of questions please....

Kind of new Ls 430 owner. 2001 base model with 93k miles.

I just put some new Bridgestone Serenity Plus tires on and they are fantastic. Car rides great but I feel way to many "small" bumps in the road that I don't think I should. I am sure shocks are original so when is it time to replace them? It's not like I can push down on the car and it bounces for five seconds, I just expect the ride to be better. Should it be? Time for new shocks?

Also when is a good time to replace timing belt?

New breaks and serpentine belt and filters plus oil changes is all I have done since 73k.

Should I be feeling every little bump and cracks in the road?

Car was a one owner in Florida. My wife drives it daily so it is still new to me.

Thanks in advance.

S

Last edited by 99ssblack; 04-16-13 at 11:38 PM.
Old 04-16-13, 11:58 PM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If they didnt change the timing belt by now I would say its past due.
Old 04-17-13, 12:28 AM
tcr101
Lead Lap

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

90k is recommended for the timing belt. I pushed 120k and it was fine, but in the end its your call. Once you have it changed out, the car is alot smoother.

I think ride depends on the tire/psi combo your running as well.
Old 04-17-13, 09:09 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

If you didn't feel the bumps before the tires...and now feel the bumps...and all you changed were the tires...then I suspect the tires... quick search on those tires found some reviews where others had the same complaints as yours... very loud, which you might now hear in the LS...harsh and bumpy... see excerpted review below.

Read more reviews here: http://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Revie...ranza+Serenity

Objectionably harsh ride. Not smooth. Feel every bump, line, crack and ripple in the pavement - immediatley transferred to the driver. Flat spot when cold - after only one evening of sitting idle. Wobble for a while until the flat spots work their way out. Way too much shake at highway speeds (and sometimes slower speeds). The tire shop has tried to resolve - no luck. Checked belts, checked balance - no luck. Replacing is the last resort. Handling seems to be great - but with poor ride quality, shakes and wobbles the good handling barely comes into play. These tires were sold to me as a great tire because of their technology, performance, and ride comfort. These were supposed to be the 'good stuff'. Not even close. They perform much worse than the 'middle of the road' tires that came off my car. I no longer enjoy driving my car with these tires. Would not buy again. Would not recommend to friends. Very disappointed. Bridgestone has work to do.

And yes... do the timing belt now...
Old 04-22-13, 04:52 AM
99ssblack
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Legender
If you didn't feel the bumps before the tires...and now feel the bumps...and all you changed were the tires...then I suspect the tires... quick search on those tires found some reviews where others had the same complaints as yours... very loud, which you might now hear in the LS...harsh and bumpy... see excerpted review below.

Read more reviews here: http://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Revie...ranza+Serenity

Objectionably harsh ride. Not smooth. Feel every bump, line, crack and ripple in the pavement - immediatley transferred to the driver. Flat spot when cold - after only one evening of sitting idle. Wobble for a while until the flat spots work their way out. Way too much shake at highway speeds (and sometimes slower speeds). The tire shop has tried to resolve - no luck. Checked belts, checked balance - no luck. Replacing is the last resort. Handling seems to be great - but with poor ride quality, shakes and wobbles the good handling barely comes into play. These tires were sold to me as a great tire because of their technology, performance, and ride comfort. These were supposed to be the 'good stuff'. Not even close. They perform much worse than the 'middle of the road' tires that came off my car. I no longer enjoy driving my car with these tires. Would not buy again. Would not recommend to friends. Very disappointed. Bridgestone has work to do.

And yes... do the timing belt now...
Thanks for the great reply. When I researched these tires on Tire Rack they had an outstanding score, and even other sites had good reviews. The old Michelens were the same way as far as feeling all the small bumbs, that's why I thought it may be shock related. Overall the new tires are great, they are very quite and feel very firm. Good traction control in wet weather etc.

Thanks again I will call Lexus to see if belt has been changed by previous owner.

S
Old 04-22-13, 04:53 AM
99ssblack
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tcr101
90k is recommended for the timing belt. I pushed 120k and it was fine, but in the end its your call. Once you have it changed out, the car is alot smoother.

I think ride depends on the tire/psi combo your running as well.
Thank you, what PSI would you recommend with these tires? Bridgestone Serenity Plus 225/65/16

S
Old 04-22-13, 09:30 AM
bootnylee
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you should buy the f sport rear sway bar also. just had mine put on and its a noticeable improvement when driving

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 05-05-13, 09:30 PM
Owngold
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 99ssblack
Kind of new Ls 430 owner. 2001 base model with 93k miles.

I just put some new Bridgestone Serenity Plus tires on and they are fantastic. Car rides great but I feel way to many "small" bumps in the road that I don't think I should. I am sure shocks are original so when is it time to replace them? It's not like I can push down on the car and it bounces for five seconds, I just expect the ride to be better. Should it be? Time for new shocks?

Also when is a good time to replace timing belt?

New breaks and serpentine belt and filters plus oil changes is all I have done since 73k.

Should I be feeling every little bump and cracks in the road?

Car was a one owner in Florida. My wife drives it daily so it is still new to me.

Thanks in advance.

S
What did u end up doing with shocks?
Did u change timing belt?
Old 05-05-13, 10:10 PM
tcr101
Lead Lap

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Thank you, what PSI would you recommend with these tires? Bridgestone Serenity Plus 225/65/16

S
I think i have the same tires as you just in 17s and a 55 series sidewall. I think i have them around 32psi and ride pretty smooth.
Old 05-06-13, 03:35 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

See is they have a 30 day guarantee, I had Turanza T's on an Accord, did not like the T's and they took them back I was happy with the H's.

Struts/shocks,I was recently at Lexus dealer tech really told me 150k shocks/struts should be replaced so you are prolly good.
Old 05-13-13, 05:13 AM
99ssblack
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Owngold
What did u end up doing with shocks?
Did u change timing belt?
Changing the timing belt today and installing a new water pump. I think the shocks are fine for now. Tires are fantastic.

S
Old 05-14-13, 01:17 AM
SikHerLife
Pole Position

Changing the timing belt today and installing a new water pump. I think the shocks are fine for now. Tires are fantastic.

S
Hey, what did u spend on the timing belt and Water pump??? I think I might need to do mines soon
Old 05-14-13, 04:42 AM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

simple soluition always stick to the michelin primacy mxv4 h rated, 32 pounds.
check your strut arm bushing and ball joints. the shocks have them inspected for leaking if not they are probably fine. the car rides harder than the older ls i had a 98, but the car is a much better automobile so a trade off....
its funny i post the same thing about the michelins with over 800,000 of driven miles on michelins and i will always get the response back but but but... at the end of the day show me a tire that has better ride, handling, wet traction, value for the dollar and improvement of about 1 mpg i will make it easy there is none, the forty dollars increase per tire is payed for in gas mileage and the tire lasting 20,000 miles longer than most tires. i posted these same comments months ago do you know the response some guy spoke about another tire having a prettier sidewall... reminded me of the funniest post ever when it was a mpg discussion some guy was talking about the a /c off for gas mileage which is a good thing, another one responded i turned my radio off for better mpg that is a crazy cat,
safe driving hope someone is laughing at this post,
Old 05-14-13, 04:46 AM
honeygee2
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a plug put into one of my michelins yesterday. They have 51000 miles on them and are still looking good. They have never been rotated either. All four are wearing evenly. What a car!
Old 05-14-13, 07:32 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Just replaced my Michelin Primacy MXV4's yesterday. Had 50,000 miles, 6 years and decided time to retire. Put on V rated ones this time (previously H). Rides like glass.

Quick Reply: Couple of questions please....