LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

persistent suspension squeaking

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-13, 11:39 AM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default persistent suspension squeaking

My '02 UL has a persistent suspension squeaking that I can't get rid of. Its so noticeable over bumpy pavement, even very mild rough pavement, and most of it is emanating from the front. It seems to be occurring mostly when the vehicle is going over uneven rough pavement and especially while turning. In other words, going straight over a speed bump doesn't seem to cause the squeaking.

I am fairly convinced it's the sway bar bushings. I've had them replaced along with all the other rubber parts in the suspension. Techs say the suspension is fine. A few times I've requested the bushings to be lubricated and for a few days the squeaking will be gone but then it returns. Obviously this car didn't make that noise when it was new or even for a long time after that. Given that I've replaced the rubber parts, why does it continue to squeak? I just want my suspension to feel and sound like it did when it was new.

Anyone have any suggestions on PERMANENT solutions?
Old 04-04-13, 05:48 PM
bootnylee
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

strut mounts might need to be replaced or lca and/or bushings

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 04-04-13, 07:14 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

They're all in great shape, nearly new.
Old 04-04-13, 08:28 PM
bootnylee
Driver

possibly steering components?

Old 04-04-13, 10:05 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bootnylee

Outer tie rods and rack bushings are nearly new. Air shocks, ball joints, upper and lower control arms, sway bar end links are all nearly new with only around 25k miles on em. Squeaking has been around for at least half those miles. Total 135k miles on car. Engine and trans mounts replaced a few months ago. Freshly aligned too.
Old 04-05-13, 12:16 PM
bootnylee
Driver

Originally Posted by ancdmd
Quote:

Originally Posted by bootnylee

Outer tie rods and rack bushings are nearly new. Air shocks, ball joints, upper and lower control arms, sway bar end links are all nearly new with only around 25k miles on em. Squeaking has been around for at least half those miles. Total 135k miles on car. Engine and trans mounts replaced a few months ago. Freshly aligned too.
man Idk your car is basically brand new

Old 04-05-13, 03:58 PM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Any chance that they put in polyurethane bushings in the steering rack or sway bar bushings? If they didn't grease them or used the wrong grease they will squeak. Regular rubber bushings don't need to be greased but polyurethane bushings do.
Old 04-05-13, 06:59 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bon
Any chance that they put in polyurethane bushings in the steering rack or sway bar bushings? If they didn't grease them or used the wrong grease they will squeak. Regular rubber bushings don't need to be greased but polyurethane bushings do.
Nope they're OEM rubber, purchased from Sewell
Old 04-05-13, 07:45 PM
Bon
Advanced

Okay, how about inner tie rods? And if you're doing this yourself, have you gone back over every bolt and nut to make sure everything is snug and tight? I've had alignment techs that didn't check for loose bolts on the lower control arms. They also missed checking the bolts on the front cross member. By the way, I purchased my steering rack polyurethane bushings from Sewell - so they do have both in stock.

Last edited by Bon; 04-05-13 at 08:00 PM.
Old 04-06-13, 09:35 AM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

I've had the car checked several times by different techs and they all say everything is in good shape and tightened down, even the subframe bolts. I know the bushings are all rubber, inspected them myself. I haven't had the inner tie rods checked specifically, but I would hope that when I ask for everything to be inspected that the techs would look at em. If they were bad I would expect the steering to feel a bit loose, but not squeak.
Old 04-06-13, 10:57 AM
Bon
Advanced

You say you have new air suspension. Is this a UL and is this still an OEM air suspension? Were both upper and lower ball joints replaced? The upper control arm and ball joint was probably replaced as a unit but was the the lower ball joint replaced when the work was done on the lower control arm bushings?
Old 04-06-13, 01:25 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Yes new OEM air shocks, new ball joints, new upper control arms, lower control arms, outer tie rods, sterring rack bushings, sway bar bushings and end links, all at same time. Just doesn't make sense that there would be any squeaking from up there. You'd think will all those fresh parts it would sound as silent and solid as a new car but the squeaking just makes it feel like a worn out old car to me. I do have 20" wheels but apart from making things stiffer there shouldn't be any squeaking.

Last edited by ancdmd; 04-06-13 at 01:28 PM.
Old 04-06-13, 04:53 PM
Bon
Advanced

If the squeak wasn't around before the parts replacement and it is now, then I'd have to suspect the installation of the new parts. Perhaps they could lube just the sway bar to see if the squeak is affected. If so you've narrowed down your problem. If not then lube around the other rubber parts trying to narrow down to the offending part. Eliminate one at a time, practice patience and eventually the specific problem part will become clear. I might even be tempted to disconnect the sway bar links and drive the car briefly to see if the squeak is gone.
Old 04-06-13, 06:57 PM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i noticed you were in miami, if you go to j and m lexus in margate, ask for nigel the mechanic he is great he will find out your issue
just ask the service manager which team he is on
cheers
Old 04-08-13, 03:33 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Sounds simple, but hit any suspected areas with silicone or lube spray for the process of elimination.

Quick Reply: persistent suspension squeaking