LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

My 430 has no bass

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-14, 02:02 AM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I recently had to replace my 2004 LS 430 due to it being totaled. I have since replaced it with another 2004 LS 430. Both had Mark Levinson audio. The difference in sound quality was like night and day. My first LS430 had front door speakers that crackled, the rear sub had torn surround repaired with adhesive and the sound (especially the bass) was well below par. But this 2nd ls430 has no crackling, everything works and the BASS SOUNDS AWESOME; epecially those low subtle bass passages. Opening up the sunroof with the other windows rolled up (as is the case with almost any car) gives it that extra oomph.

My conclusion: The mark levinson audio is very sensitive. The slightest manipulation (either by surround deterioration or the added weight of the glue/adhesive) severely changes the impedance of the whole system and disrupts the designed electrical output. Also, the speaker's mangled in-cabin air chambers (due to air escaping from the cracked surround) results in a heavily disabled sound. And with the majority of us experiencing blown speakers left impropery repaired, we don't get the full sound as was initially intended. Granted the bass is designed to play only when the track has asked it to do so, but when it does, it plays those low frequencies oh so well.

P.S. Lett me add that with my first ls430, when I first bought it, the sub and the door speakers did not crackle. Even then, that mark levinson system didn't sound as good as the mark levinson system in my second LS 430. I don't know why the first one didn't sound as good in the beginning, I just know that this second LS430 sounds immediately better

Last edited by Pamperme; 06-29-14 at 04:18 AM.
Old 06-29-14, 09:32 AM
RushNatU
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
You are correct, Lexus used Pioneer and Nakamichi until 2001. ML is used on 2002+ Lexus.
I have an 01 with ML sound system so I'm not sure that is accurate.
Old 07-01-14, 05:30 AM
fencera
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pamperme
I recently had to replace my 2004 LS 430 due to it being totaled. I have since replaced it with another 2004 LS 430. Both had Mark Levinson audio. The difference in sound quality was like night and day. My first LS430 had front door speakers that crackled, the rear sub had torn surround repaired with adhesive and the sound (especially the bass) was well below par. But this 2nd ls430 has no crackling, everything works and the BASS SOUNDS AWESOME; epecially those low subtle bass passages. Opening up the sunroof with the other windows rolled up (as is the case with almost any car) gives it that extra oomph.

My conclusion: The mark levinson audio is very sensitive. The slightest manipulation (either by surround deterioration or the added weight of the glue/adhesive) severely changes the impedance of the whole system and disrupts the designed electrical output. Also, the speaker's mangled in-cabin air chambers (due to air escaping from the cracked surround) results in a heavily disabled sound. And with the majority of us experiencing blown speakers left impropery repaired, we don't get the full sound as was initially intended. Granted the bass is designed to play only when the track has asked it to do so, but when it does, it plays those low frequencies oh so well.

P.S. Lett me add that with my first ls430, when I first bought it, the sub and the door speakers did not crackle. Even then, that mark levinson system didn't sound as good as the mark levinson system in my second LS 430. I don't know why the first one didn't sound as good in the beginning, I just know that this second LS430 sounds immediately better
I've been reading all of these complaints about the LS430 ML system for years now. I have a 430 with the ML system and had an LS400 with the Nak system. The ML system in my car blows away the Nak system -- both literally and figuratively. In my 430, when I turn up the bass, the mirrors vibrate like crazy (even the dampened interior one vibrates) and the bass is extremely intense -- it's no joke, the whole car vibrates. This was before and after I had to do the classic repair to the sub cone, no difference.

All I can imagine is that as speculated above, the system is very sensitive or something is wrong with many of the other systems out there. Maybe there's a problem with the amp that many are experiencing and unaware of? It's just so weird to me that someone could suggest the Nak system is better than the ML system based on my experience over the last 10 years+. Good luck getting it sorted out guys.

Last edited by fencera; 07-01-14 at 05:35 AM.
Old 07-02-14, 08:47 PM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Today I heard the song "I can only imagine" by Mercy Me (beautiful song) on the mark Levinson and heard some deep bass in this track that I never even realize it had. It sounded like the deep rumbling bass produced by a pipe organ's pedals. This type of bass is my favorite type. It's the type of bass that most lower end manufactures have the audacity to omit. Sony is almost always guilty of this. This Mark Levinson truly ROCKS!!
Old 07-03-14, 11:12 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

my ML woofer blew the very first time I turned the volume and bass up at the same time.

Started rattling and vibrating horribly, so I disconnected it and installed 2x12's and haven't looked back.
Old 07-04-14, 04:22 AM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Pamperme

I suspect you are correct. My ML system sounds incredible, but I recent drove another 430 that I was considering for a second vehicle and it didn't sound anywhere near as good as mine. I'm pretty sure one of the door speakers was busted because there was a slight rattle, but the entire system didn't sound right, even after adjusting the audio settings. No rattle from the subwoofer, but no bass either. Maybe the issue was with the amp too, but it was obvious that the entire system was severely handicapped.