LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Excessive road noise after repairs/new tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-13, 12:00 PM
sennett0r
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Excessive road noise after repairs/new tires

Hey guys. I recently got my lower control arm bushings replaced at Lextech and then the following week, I replaced my tires with Continental DWS 225/55/17.

After doing so, I'm noticing very excessive road noise and it sounds like its coming from the tires. The weird thing is, it's only when the car is going straight or to the left. If i turn the wheel slightly to the right, the road noise completely dies down and the tires are very quiet and the ride is quiet.

The noise is not as apparent on local streets but on the freeway, is definitely noticeable especially if i just turn the steering wheel slightly from left to right.

I'm assuming the tires aren't the issue since if I turn the car right slightly, the noise goes away. Should I take it back to Lextech and have them check it out? Could it have to do with the lower control arm bushing or perhaps some of the parts they needed to touch in order to replace the bushing?
Old 03-07-13, 12:24 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Sounds like the car might need to get an alignment.
Old 03-07-13, 02:07 PM
sennett0r
Driver

Yeah, that was another thought.

Can the alignment cause such road noise?

That's definitely on the to-do list...
Old 03-07-13, 02:33 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Not an expert, but I'd guess it's the tires. Turning the wheel imposes a side load to the tire and noise could be caused by the tire tread design. Just my guess.
Old 03-07-13, 02:44 PM
honeygee2
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On motorcycles as the tires wear you will a hum on centerline as the tires cup. As soon as you are about 3 degrees off center the noise goes away. i would check alignment and also tire manufacture date and of course air pressure.
Old 03-07-13, 02:53 PM
sennett0r
Driver

I guess that's another thing that I should mention...

After getting the new tires installed, my tire pressure monitor turned on 3 separate times.

The first time I just reset it but it came back on a day later. So I filled up the tires and reset the light.
Then after about a week, (2 days ago) it turned on again and I reset it and it hasnt turned on since..
Old 03-10-13, 12:11 PM
sikIS300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Continental Tires due tend to be noisy compare to the factory Bridgestone Turenza EL400 or the Michelin MXMV4 . Do a Road Force balance and alignment and if that dosent fix the problem or gets enhance a little ,check the front wheel bearings.
Old 03-17-13, 07:56 AM
bmylrea
Driver School Candidate

Had same problem when replaced with lower profile tires on LS430 (2005). Apparently the sensor measures the inside distance from rim to inner surface.Mine finally went away.
Old 03-25-13, 10:25 PM
sennett0r
Driver

Took it over to lextech and had Paul drive it. His guess is a bad front bearing.. He wants to make sure of it by swapping two front wheels with no issues to make sure it's not the tires,, thanks for the help.
Old 03-26-13, 06:46 PM
ECUJeb
Driver School Candidate

If it goes away with a load (slight turn), I would guess a bearing as well. Your issue sounds very similar to what I experienced shortly after buying my LS.
Old 03-26-13, 09:46 PM
sennett0r
Driver

Did replacing the bearing fix the problem?

Also, the noise goes away when I steer slightly to the right, does that mean it's the right side bearing going bad?
Old 03-27-13, 04:34 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

It must be a bit tricky to figure out which bearing it is. I needed a bearing and the dealer replaced the wrong one, so I got 2 for 1. The Autozone part is the same as Lexus.
Old 03-27-13, 09:27 AM
sennett0r
Driver

Hmm, your saying that Autozone sells the OEM Lexus bearing? Do you know how much it costs? Paul (Lextech) told me the part itself costs about $300-350.

Also, this question is a bit off topic but does anyone know, once you install coilovers on a LS, are there general wear/tear items that will normally need to be replaced because of the simple fact that you are lowering the car? Does it set off any sensors on the car or anything?

Thanks to everyone who has helped so far and for anyone who will help.
Old 03-27-13, 05:27 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe that the front wheel bearing noise will appear to come from the opposite side from the one you are turning to. E.g. if the noise appears when you turn to the right, it is the left bearing which whines.
The reason is that it is the (relatively) unloaded bearing which gains enough end play to vibrate.
Of course, if the toe is really messed up, this could give an incorrect indication.
Old 03-27-13, 06:10 PM
tcr101
Lead Lap

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by sennett0r
Hmm, your saying that Autozone sells the OEM Lexus bearing? Do you know how much it costs? Paul (Lextech) told me the part itself costs about $300-350.
If its part #43501C/53502C (http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...S430-2001.html) new listed at $357.. login with your CL account to see it drop to around $260+shipping.

I would not be surprised if Autozone/o'reilly/etc sells a remanufactured part. If the part is available, theres usually significant savings.

If your looking to have a fun weekend swapping out the hub yourself, you will need a joint puller, assortment of open ended wrenches and socket wrenches. For the dust cover i put the original hub over the dust cover and pressed it into place. (if you wanna buy a used wheel bearing I probably still have the original hub in my garage..220k miles on it with a hint of a wobble, spins freely though)

Just a heads up, I would be wary of ordering parts from Pep Boys.. I waited 3 weeks to have them tell me they cant fulfill my order and give me ***** about the refund...

Last edited by tcr101; 03-27-13 at 06:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Excessive road noise after repairs/new tires