LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Guide for AC cleaning/refreshing

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-13, 04:17 PM
tcr101
Lead Lap

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Guide for AC cleaning/refreshing

Thought this may help anyone considering using the AC refresher kit (http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2001/4481.html).

In total it took me ~20-30 min to complete. 5-10 min to find the drain vent and another 5-10 to spray the cleaner and conditioner.

If you can lift your car up (ramps, jacks, lift etc) and have a 10mm socket wrench with a 4-5 inch extension you can complete this yourself.

It took me a while to find the drain vent, but the photos should help you locate the a/c drainage tubes. There is one on each side (driver & passenger).

I hooked up the cleaner to one side and put a bucket on the other. After you shoot the cleaner into the drain tube it will drain out of the other (i.e. driver side using cleaner = passenger side place bucket or vice versa).

the Photo on the right is what it looks like without moving any of the shields. The tubes are located approx. below the front doors behind the cats. The drain tube itself is located 2-3 inches ABOVE the hole. You will need to remove the shield to push the adapter in.

Photo on the left is what it looks like if you move the shield to the side. It was a tight fit, but after removing 4 bolts that hold in the shield (10mm with a extension for the socket wrench) I was able to move it slightly and put the adapter in. 3 of the bolts are pretty apparent and the last nut is recessed (closer to the back of the shield).

This video shows you how to use the cans on a ls400. It tells you how to use the product.

If you do not feel like watching the video, here is a quick summary:
With the car off, you shoot the cleaner up the drain tube. I used about half a can and let it drain (takes 5-10 minutes). After its all drained, you use the second can with the AC conditioner. Set your climate control to outside air on HIGH setting and set the vents to "body". Spray the conditioner into the fresh air source (bottom of the windshield, you should pop your hood for this). Change your vents to "foot" then "defroster" and repeat spraying the conditioner into the fresh air source. Once your done spraying the conditioner leave the fans on high for 5 min to let the spray escape.

Initial Impressions: AC/fan does not have mildew smell and smells "fresh". I've only used this one, but am waiting to see how long it'll last.
Attached Thumbnails Guide for AC cleaning/refreshing-photo-11-.jpg   Guide for AC cleaning/refreshing-photo-12-.jpg  

Last edited by tcr101; 02-03-13 at 04:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ferliz (02-26-20)
Old 02-04-13, 07:54 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Awesome...thanks for the info... I had no idea...thanks for sharing.
Old 02-04-13, 01:28 PM
wil1688
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is great, I been looking for a procedure like this for awhile. Thanks. Just a quick question. Do you recommend to have the interior filter be remove (by the glove compartment) first?. This way the chemical can go straight into the coil without being block by the filter first.
Old 02-04-13, 02:03 PM
tcr101
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by wil1688
This is great, I been looking for a procedure like this for awhile. Thanks. Just a quick question. Do you recommend to have the interior filter be remove (by the glove compartment) first?. This way the chemical can go straight into the coil without being block by the filter first.

Didn't think of removing the filter, but it could be a good idea. This was my first time using the product and its helped clean out the smell. Since I left the filter in I believe the conditioner has residue on the filter itself. Its been about 24 hours and when I turn on the fan/ac it still has the conditioner smell.
Old 02-04-13, 02:45 PM
SQuester
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good stuff man, I was thinking about doing this the other day.
Old 02-07-13, 08:39 AM
illex514
Driver School Candidate

just recently did this, no more smelly vents.
Old 02-07-13, 08:55 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I need to try this.
Old 02-07-13, 09:51 AM
Viper6
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Small point, but you don't appear to be using the Factory jacking points for your jack stands... if not, that can crumple the frame rails and impact chassis integrity... always use the factory jacking points as that is what they were designed for.

And unlike some other vehicles I own, Lexus engineered our vehicle with front and rear center approved jacking points for your jack so the DIY'r can place their jack stands in the approved side jacking points on the frame locations making it safe to get under the vehicle. Not all cars have this, another reason I love my LS430!

If you don't have service manual, these center points are the rear differential and the center of the cross sub-frame, exposed just aft of the big plastic engine bay cover so no need to remove it to get to the jack-point, FYI.

Last edited by Viper6; 02-07-13 at 09:57 AM. Reason: update spelling
Old 02-07-13, 02:30 PM
tcr101
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Viper6
Small point, but you don't appear to be using the Factory jacking points for your jack stands... if not, that can crumple the frame rails and impact chassis integrity... always use the factory jacking points as that is what they were designed for.

And unlike some other vehicles I own, Lexus engineered our vehicle with front and rear center approved jacking points for your jack so the DIY'r can place their jack stands in the approved side jacking points on the frame locations making it safe to get under the vehicle. Not all cars have this, another reason I love my LS430!

If you don't have service manual, these center points are the rear differential and the center of the cross sub-frame, exposed just aft of the big plastic engine bay cover so no need to remove it to get to the jack-point, FYI.
Thanks for the heads up Viper6. I got a bit lazy and figured the chassis would be alright. Luckily there appears to be no visible damage on the chassis. I'll take a look at the service manual tonight for that front jack point. I've been using the rear diff to lift the rear, but dont feel too safe with a jack holding the rear up.
Old 02-09-13, 09:54 PM
krazykrnbo
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

did this and it only lasted a week or so for me... then went back to smelling bad again.... :/
Old 02-10-13, 07:05 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

My Lexus dealer uses a spray called Ozium. Works well for me. Use maybe every 6 months or so.
Old 02-10-13, 09:27 PM
krazykrnbo
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

ozium? ill try that and see. thanks
Old 02-12-13, 02:31 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 150 Posts

Forcing cleaner up the drain tube is the least effective method. This does not clean the incoming side of the evaporator chamber and can push bacteria/mold/other organic material at the bottom of the drain pan back into the evaporator and fuel further bacterial growth.

To address the problem: First, you want to fill a large spray bottle with 70% isopropyl alcohol, pop the hood, run the blower on fresh air mode at maximum speed, then liberally spray the alcohol mist into every vent in the area below the wipers. I don't recommend removing the cabin air filter when doing this, but if your outside air is particularly clean, then removing the filter is preferred.

Second, if step 1 doesn't solve your problem, the most effective evaporator cleaning procedure was already posted on these forums awhile back: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...tinks-fix.html.

After doing those 2 steps, replace the cabin air filter.

Products that properly clean the evaporator are meant to be inserted immediately after the blower, which cleans and disinfects the evaporator top to bottom, front to back.

These other products include:
DWD2 - http://www.dwd2.com/
BG Frigi-Clean - http://www.bgprod.com/products/climatecontrol.html
TUNAP 181 Contrasept - https://www.tunap.ca/c-8-ac-system-protection.aspx

Ozium and other similar air fresheners contain unsafe amounts of Di-ethyl Phthalate and other chemicals and I don't think they address the source of the problem.

Toyota recommends using the fresh air setting on the climate control rather than the recirculated air setting whenever possible to allow the evaporator to dry out and prevent odor-causing bacteria from growing. Toyota also recommends that if the odor already exists, spraying isopropyl alcohol or a disinfectant in the outside air intake may eliminate the odor.

Source: Toyota.com (http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...ient=firefox-a)

Last edited by StanVanDam; 05-31-13 at 09:26 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Stu (05-07-20)
Old 05-14-14, 10:54 PM
myacandhea
Driver School Candidate

Default Guide for AC cleaning/refreshing

Air Conditioner is such type of equipment through which you can get cool air in summer and warm air in winter.But to maintain its working on its peak., you need to keep in mind such things that Air Conditioner should be cleaned regularly so that dust and dirt will not affect the internal filter pipes as well as Duct system.For well Air Conditioning you need to do timely cleaning as well as service to the Air Conditioning unit.
Old 05-16-14, 01:00 PM
tcr101
Lead Lap

I would agree with StanVanDam. Using the "cleaner" worked for about 6 months until the smell started coming back. Using the isopropyl alcohol method works pretty well and I have not experience any foul smells for quite a while.

Quick Reply: Guide for AC cleaning/refreshing