LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2004 LS430 vs 1996 W140 S500

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-13, 02:11 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Mercedes doesn't make cars like that anymore.

My parents had a similar one with a lot of miles when I was young, it was a rolling tank. When you closed the door, it was like closing a bank vault. Mercedes was the world standard, it was simply the best money could buy. Then the Japanese started making luxury cars that could do what the Germans were doing for a lot less. And they usually required less service.

Mercedes since about the mid nineties and on are service nightmares, and so are most European cars made today. They've become disposable cars you lease, you don't dare own one outside of warranty.

One big reason Mercedes aren't "made like they used to" was the price has actually come DOWN on their line up (once you factor out inflation) in order to compete with brands like Lexus, Infiniti, and Acura. They can't afford to make them like tanks anymore.
Old 01-30-13, 02:58 PM
Prochamber
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's definitely true. That's why I plan on keeping her as long as possible. She is a tank and can really haul *** on the highway. Thanks for the compliment.
Old 01-30-13, 08:17 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

The reason an older, used Mecedes is so cheap is because it will cost you a fortune to maintain. I have never owned one ( and never will ) but I know lots of people who have, and they were very wealthy and loved the car, but even they complained about the frequency of the breakdowns and the insane cost to repair them. Trust me, these were not rich people, these were very rich people, and hearing them complain about the price of anything was really amusing.

If you are willing to gladly spend tons of money to drive an old Mercedes, go for it. If not its definitely the wrong car for you, in my opinion.

All this applies just as much to Audi, Jaguar and BMW. All great cars, but once they are 10 years old, they are unreliable and very very expensive to repair. I would have loved to buy one, but honestly, no way I wanted hassle of frequent and expensive repairs. That why I bought my Lexus. No regrets, and its been two years.

Good luck on what ever you decide.

Last edited by Stu; 01-30-13 at 08:21 PM.
Old 01-30-13, 11:46 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Prochamber
...Here are some pictures of the Benzo if you like to see her. Later!
Wow she is an absolute beauty! Looks fresher than brand new, love how good the paint still looks! Yeah I love those old S-classes/SELs
Old 01-31-13, 06:45 AM
Prochamber
Driver

Thanks. I had a paint respray about 4 years ago. And I keep it fresh looking by using my DeWalt Rotary polisher on her in the Spring before the heat arrives and then again in the early Fall before the cold weather hits.

Later!
Old 03-23-13, 11:40 PM
lexusls4
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jsb1990
Hello to you all!

I am hoping I can get some advice from all you lovely people. I am toying between buying a 1996 S500 Mercedes or paying a lot more and buying an LS430. I would like to buy the 2004 update as it has a lot more features in it in the mid life update version.

I would be willing to pay about $20,000 (I live in Australia) for one. This is a LOT of money, but I am aware they are known for their rock solid reliability. I could pay half for a W140 S500, but I am aware they can sometimes go awry at a rather large cost.

I would be interested to know people's thoughts on this. =)

J
I personally own both cars, I can,tell you this the Mercedes is very stable at high speed and its very smooth and solid car. The mercedes doesn't have much shock travel so it doesn't bounce all over like the Lexus . One thing about the mercedes that I love is the way it feels , its actually feels like the way it looks . Its heavy but powerful . Mercedes pioneer the big luxury car in the 90 era but Lexus has caught up now and its not the car if you compare pound for pound . One thing about Mercedes is that the car needs a lot of attention. The door suction will eventually stop working . The window will no longer work despite of the mileage. The ac evaporator was leaking so I get no ac in a car that supposed to be first class in luxury. The fuel sending unit went out on me on a trip so there was actually less gas from what the gauge was telling me. I actually,bought the latest model w140 just to avoid all this problem but it was never resolve to begin with. The w140 would be the ultimate car if it was new but chances are its not as of now. That car was nice but it was just not reliable . I was so scared of driving the car out of state that I include roadside assistance in my insurance . I have own many euro luxury saloon and the Benz in my book will never compare to a ls . Please remember that,its my opinion . The Lexus just does everything better and more appropriate. I hate being on the side of the road in a car of this class . The Lexus to me is more reliable ,better ride quality and just float like a boat on the freeway . I'm old school so handling is not a big issue to me . I just love the ride of the ls . I'm also new to the ls430 but I had a ls400 2000 before the Benz . My wife really hated the Benz so I'm glad I have a Lexus now .
Old 03-30-13, 11:14 AM
geekhou05
Driver School Candidate

Default I have both

I have a W140 S500 in addition to my LS430. The W140 is the weekend cruiser, while my LS is the DD. Flat out, the S500 is faster, handles better and the stock Bose system blows the Mark Levinson away. Driving the W140 at 130mph is bliss.

However! It does require a fair bit of maintenance upfront when purchasing it. Parts that would last on a LS430 for 300k miles died on the W140 in 100k miles. The LS is quieter and mellows out the road in ways that the W140 does not.

I've noticed that I am less fatigued when driving the W140 as it is more "alive" when driving, as where the LS430 would rock you to sleep.

I plan to keep the LS430 for at least the next four years (9 years of total ownership). I then intend to replace it with something still large, but more fuel efficient (diesel S class, or next version of the LS600 or the TDI or 3 liter A8) as the daily driver. If the LS is still in good condition, I'll still keep it in addition to the new acquisition. I intend to keep the W140 FOREVER!

My post at Benzworld: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140...15-months.html
Old 03-30-13, 12:11 PM
Tony1M
Driver School Candidate

My wife and I owned a white, 1988 560 SEL Florida car when we lived in Melbourne, Florida, back in the very late 1990's. It was one beautiful car............ unfortunately.

The car was actually a huge, heavy-weight sports car that could accelerate at mind-numbing speed and it handled like a car that weighed much less. It's turning radius was remarkably short, too, for such a big boat.

But the real downside to that series and the W140 which followed was that they were/are money pits. Unless you are a good DIYr and have access to reasonably-priced parts, you will be at a repair place frequently and your wallet will weigh much much less when you leave. All of the little gizmos are prone (designed) to fail/break. High price does not mean high quality.

After having been through it myself, I feel very sorry for anyone who feels compelled enough by the Mercedes mystique to buy one. The price one pays for the W140 series in particular is merely the entry fee. Of course this is true of every vehicle one buys, but only a ex-Mercedes owner knows the extent to which Mercedes exploits the concept.

Anyone considering the purchase of the W140 series should definitely join a forum dedicated to that series and start read, read, reading. After reading the horror stories, hopefully you'll, as Loretta Castorini said to Ronny Cammareri in Moonstruck, "snap out of it!"

Anyone who wants both reliability and luxury should stick with a Toyota product like the LS430. .
Old 04-01-13, 06:34 AM
lexusls4
Pit Crew

One thing is the w140 is getting too much credit . The funny thing is that its not even reliable and it was consider one of the most reliable of the s class. As in my experience that car was just for the name . And no way in the world it was a faster car than a ls . The car was cheaply made from recycle plastic and everything failed at a coincidence . Rear view mirror had to be glued and put back together in ghetto type DIY . Steering feels like a 80s Buick . Seat belt doesn't retract ,window stop rolling , rear hidraulic shock starts to leak. The best thing was that the car was solid like a tank.
Old 08-12-18, 01:36 AM
NLLex
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuy89
While I love my 430, I too am a huge fan of the W140. I rode in a 99 S320 a few yrs back and to this day it remains one of the quietest, best riding, and most refined cars I've ever been in. However, the exact same can be said about the LS430. As many have brought up here, the Lexus will most likely be much more reliable. However, if you're paying 2x the price then you have some wiggle room for maintenance on the Benz. Drive both and pick which one you like more, easy as that.
My question for you and all other w140 drivers. Witch one is more silent? The w140 or the LS430?

I have tried to google this question for many years now and nobody seems to have an answer.

I am really curious about the comfort as well. In driving tests with the mk1 Ls400 1990 comparing to the w140, the w140 was more comfortable and soft but I,m curious about the comparing with the Ls430.

Old 08-12-18, 08:30 AM
4litre
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

I've owned several W140 MB and they are needy for maintenance. Great riding cars with presence but, a LS430 will be more reliable and it's a great well rounded car.
Old 08-13-18, 03:32 AM
NLLex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 4litre
I've owned several W140 MB and they are needy for maintenance. Great riding cars with presence but, a LS430 will be more reliable and it's a great well rounded car.
Thnx for the info but I'm still really curious about the silence and about the comfort..

Can somebody with experience between the ls430 and the w140 please confirm the differente?
Old 08-13-18, 02:00 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

as a previous owner of a 93 600sel and 94 s500 , btw 92-94 had more craftsmanship , those were true tanks. Remember these cars new were 100k$ plus for the 600 and that was 1992 money , Im still on the prowl for a nice clean one if anyone comes across thats had the notorious wire harness replaced.

Last edited by lextout; 08-13-18 at 02:04 PM.
Old 08-14-18, 01:45 PM
4litre
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by NLLex
Thnx for the info but I'm still really curious about the silence and about the comfort..

Can somebody with experience between the ls430 and the w140 please confirm the differente?
No problem. With dual pane glass at every door, they are very quiet. As long as the suspension has been kept up, they are very good riding as well for comfort. Best thing to get a good idea about these cars are to go Benzworld and look under the W140 forums. That's a great site. I say drive a few of each to compare for yourself. Text opinions are not as good as to good old hands on experience. Good luck!
Old 08-15-18, 01:01 AM
NLLex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 4litre
No problem. With dual pane glass at every door, they are very quiet. As long as the suspension has been kept up, they are very good riding as well for comfort. Best thing to get a good idea about these cars are to go Benzworld and look under the W140 forums. That's a great site. I say drive a few of each to compare for yourself. Text opinions are not as good as to good old hands on experience. Good luck!
Originally Posted by lextout
as a previous owner of a 93 600sel and 94 s500 , btw 92-94 had more craftsmanship , those were true tanks. Remember these cars new were 100k$ plus for the 600 and that was 1992 money , Im still on the prowl for a nice clean one if anyone comes across thats had the notorious wire harness replaced.
Thank you for the info but I think you dont get my question correct. I am not interested in buying A w140. I am interested in ex exact comparing between the LS430 and the W140. So are there people who have driven both cars and can please confirm that the LS430 is more quit and smooth or maybe the w140 is?

Thats all

Quick Reply: 2004 LS430 vs 1996 W140 S500