LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS 430 versus VW Touareg

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-13, 05:03 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Default LS 430 versus VW Touareg

I work two lists for my LS and my used 012 VW Touareg TDI. I just wanted to make a note,,,I was thinking how much busier the Touareg forum is considering they did build them from 04 to the present but they sold fewer in comparison per year I bet.

One reason easily a third of the posts are for problems, leaky sunroofs, engine problems, lites, brakes, this thing eats tires yur lucky to get 30k on a set and 20 inchers ain't cheap, on and on. I looked for 6 months just like for my LS and wandered into a VW dealer to drive a Car of the Year Passat and walked out driving and purchasing a used 012 Exec TDI. It is a pleasure to drive just like my LS, heavy settled and smooth at all speeds but don't take the LS reliabilty for granted mine has been in the shop for loose AC/heat ductwork, a throttle valve, and I have a fog lite they told me was burnt at 16k and now it went back on. I have 17k on the car. Looked at the RX but just to bland the Treg was built on the Cayenne assembly line and handles pretty well. My LS is getting old with 185k and versus new suspension and all I am looking for another one for my driver to work 100 miles r/t. I am not complaining I like the Treg alot but glad the Platinum Warrantee is 1700 bucks to 110k or 7 years glad I got it.
Old 01-21-13, 05:08 AM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I laughed, and laughed, and laughed.....
Old 01-21-13, 06:42 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by warminwisc
I work two lists for my LS and my used 012 VW Touareg TDI. I just wanted to make a note,,,I was thinking how much busier the Touareg forum is considering they did build them from 04 to the present but they sold fewer in comparison per year I bet.

One reason easily a third of the posts are for problems, leaky sunroofs, engine problems, lites, brakes, this thing eats tires yur lucky to get 30k on a set and 20 inchers ain't cheap, on and on. I looked for 6 months just like for my LS and wandered into a VW dealer to drive a Car of the Year Passat and walked out driving and purchasing a used 012 Exec TDI. It is a pleasure to drive just like my LS, heavy settled and smooth at all speeds but don't take the LS reliabilty for granted mine has been in the shop for loose AC/heat ductwork, a throttle valve, and I have a fog lite they told me was burnt at 16k and now it went back on. I have 17k on the car. Looked at the RX but just to bland the Treg was built on the Cayenne assembly line and handles pretty well. My LS is getting old with 185k and versus new suspension and all I am looking for another one for my driver to work 100 miles r/t. I am not complaining I like the Treg alot but glad the Platinum Warrantee is 1700 bucks to 110k or 7 years glad I got it.
I owned a VW Rabbit years ago when I was finishing school and starting professional career - yikes is was a POS. Once it had more than 35k miles on it started breaking once a month, the distributor wore out, the steering rack wore out, brake lines rusted out after 3 winters, etc - almost as bad as a 64 MGB that I unfortunately briefly owned in the mid 70s. The MGB made the VW look like a Lexus reliability wise but thats another story. Final straw for the VW was when it started burning oil - with maybe 75k miles on it (and having oil changed every 3k miles). I traded it and vowed to never own a VW again.
Old 01-21-13, 07:20 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
I traded it and vowed to never own a VW again.
I loved your VW Rabbit story! The first brand new car I ever bought was a 1975 VW Rabbit. During the 3 years, 50K miles I owned it, the distributor shaft failed and I was stranded, the engine would barely run, the seat upholsteriy split, the manual transmission failed, the car body (it was a 2-door) starting cracking severely and at the beltline and roofline just behind both front doors. The car was literally sagging and collapsing.

The bucking engine problem was supposed to have been fixed under a service campaign (not a recall) but the VW dealer couldn't get them all fixed in the time VW alotted. When I complained to the VW zone rep and told him I was taking the bus and couldn't drive my Rabbit, he came right out and told me something like "We realize that we are going to alienate a some customers but that is just how it is".

A few years after that, VW sold it's U.S. factory and nearly withdrew from the U.S. market.

I've talked countless people out of buying VW's. I especially like telling my story to people at the VW display at auto shows while VW representatives listen and cringe.

There. I've now told my VW story for the 1,000th time. (Not that I carry a grudge, LOL!)
Old 01-21-13, 07:46 AM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i dont get it? is this some type of joke?
Old 01-21-13, 08:01 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Alas, I too am another former VW owner who won't go back: 75 & 78 Rabbits, 76 Bus, and 80-something Jetta company car. (First wife was German and liked VWs.) They all had far too many problems.
Old 01-21-13, 08:07 AM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds like some vw dealer decided to run his 'campaign' again.
I know that mercs and beamers HATE lexus... But vw? It's a 'pos' by default... Especially touareg, one of the most ugly and unreliable suv's i ever tried to drive...
Old 01-21-13, 09:12 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What is this thread about? Comparing a stradivarius to a ukelele? I dont understand... :d
Old 01-21-13, 09:17 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I just took the opportunity to ***** about VWs after Warm posted his trials and tribulations on his VW Toureg (not that I hold a grudge for long either). Chalk it up to commiseration posting although it could easily be postulated that my early experience with some real crappy Chrysler, VW, GM, and MGB automotive products led me and members of my extended family into eventually having a garage full of Toyota, Honda, and Lexus products.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 01-21-13 at 09:21 AM.
Old 01-21-13, 09:21 AM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry but vw is POS and someone has to pay me to drive one. On the other hand, no, keep it, I'll stick to my old yet reliable Lexus.
Old 01-21-13, 09:28 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

In terms of reliability, VW and Audi are a lot alike. They're basically meant to be cars you lease, you're playing Russian Roulette owning one outside of some sort of factory warranty. It seems everyone has to own one of these cars once in their life and they NEVER do it again.

We do take our Lexus reliability for granted. I'll be the first to admit Lexus can be a bit bland, but when you've owned a car that requires constant service, you really appreciate boring and dependable.
Old 01-21-13, 10:46 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Most of the Toaureg problems I hope where before the redesign in 011 and they started to clear up their act a bit in 08. The 2 speed transfer case is gone, it is identicle to the Cayenne TDI minus extra whistles the cayenne can be ordered with to bring it to 80-90 G's. You gotta drive this thing to appreciate 406 lbs of torque and how it handles with the 8 speed tranny and sport shifting to keep it at its power band of 1500-1700RPM's. All the laughs are well taken feel free to keep it up, a few repairs are expected so I hope for the best. I am covered to 110 k, funny even VW won't carry the warrantee it is a VW Fidelity warrantee.

Go drive one just for fun. All my buddies have been in it and just drool, I saw not on the electronics I may have enough issues!! Warm
Old 01-21-13, 12:04 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i will never drool over a vw and i've driven and sat in plenty of them, new passat, phaeton, toureg and the crappy new jetta. Oh yeah did i forget to mention i also work on cars for a living.
Old 01-21-13, 01:37 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

I didn't like the Tiquan, the Passat and the Jetta either so we are on the same page. try the new Touareg TDi Exec test drives are free i took like 20 of them before this thing said wow this is fun, go to the showroom for a spin, or try the Hybrid with the 3.0 turbo gasser and supplemental Hybrid motor 380 HP 430 lbs of torque for grins. I mean yur right all these Tregs need extended warrantees and everyone has one on the Touareg forum. But all cars are made better than in the 70's, VW had its best year in 60 years of sales up 10 percent versus 6 percent for the auto industry in 012 so they have improved and people are buying them(they better have warrantees).The 75 rabbit might of been better than the Vega and Pinto or Pacer or Gremlin? i think the Pacer exploded in rear end collisions..

Just making a point on LS reliability. I would think most people with an 04-06 LS would like it to handle like an A8 with LS reliabiltiy years 04-06, too bad ya can't have both. Never got a price on the throttle valve as no price was listed but it was 800 bucks. To fix anything it seems on these cars all sorts of other stuff has to come off, I can see it is a mechanics nightmare.
Old 01-21-13, 01:46 PM
levie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have two buddies that have a VW and the other has a audi, apart from VW's being one of the ugliest cars out there, not very reliable, but "meh" on gas. Then my buddies audi is just downright terrible. personally im going to stay far, far, far, away from them.

Quick Reply: LS 430 versus VW Touareg