LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS 430 versus VW Touareg

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-13, 01:58 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Among some of my friends who are VW inclined they haven't been long term drivers beyond 8-10 years. 80K is about the usual limits but a few have kept them into the 130 K miles. Usually variety or electrical gremlins but the car in general is drivable. Dash warning lights, window, climate issues among the more common. The Lex isn't immune, they tend to do the extra 60K miles additional opposed to where the VW would be. Generically speaking.

I would expect the VW to need a suspension freshening at 185K miles. I would suspect it would be in overall worse shape barring an OCD owner.

Bro-in-law's VR6 Jetta was great but by 110K it had repair bills he didn't want to take on. I thought it simple but he was itching for a fresh car. Went Toyota.
Old 01-21-13, 02:04 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

In my experience almost every modern era VWs and Audi have been impressive cars to drive - very tight and responsive. Totally different feel than the luxo-barge LS430. On biz trips, when I see a VW CC coupe in the car rental line I always try to get it - they are good fun to drive.

Just would not feel comfortable owning either WV or Audi without an extended warranty.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 01-22-13 at 04:54 AM.
Old 01-22-13, 04:49 AM
TSA1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Almost bought a 05 Phaeton instead of my LS, but not really almost, more like I thought about it, read the phaeton forums and saw the potential for disaster.
Old 01-22-13, 05:12 AM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

TSA1 - guilty, been there. And Phaeton is impressive, if you look at it from afar.... Interior is stunning too.
Old 01-22-13, 06:11 AM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by warminwisc
I didn't like the Tiquan, the Passat and the Jetta either so we are on the same page. try the new Touareg TDi Exec test drives are free i took like 20 of them before this thing said wow this is fun, go to the showroom for a spin, or try the Hybrid with the 3.0 turbo gasser and supplemental Hybrid motor 380 HP 430 lbs of torque for grins. I mean yur right all these Tregs need extended warrantees and everyone has one on the Touareg forum. But all cars are made better than in the 70's, VW had its best year in 60 years of sales up 10 percent versus 6 percent for the auto industry in 012 so they have improved and people are buying them(they better have warrantees).The 75 rabbit might of been better than the Vega and Pinto or Pacer or Gremlin? i think the Pacer exploded in rear end collisions..

Just making a point on LS reliability. I would think most people with an 04-06 LS would like it to handle like an A8 with LS reliabiltiy years 04-06, too bad ya can't have both. Never got a price on the throttle valve as no price was listed but it was 800 bucks. To fix anything it seems on these cars all sorts of other stuff has to come off, I can see it is a mechanics nightmare.
not sure if you talking about the ls or a vw, i know that i have not experienced anything difficult to fix on the ls, i can do a timing belt/w/p job in 3 hours from start till the car is running and warmed up. I dare anyone attempt a t/b job on a v6 vw like the audi 2.8. Most audi and vw the service manual states for example to change a serpentine belt on 01 a4...."put the car in the service position" meaning take off the front bumper and radiator/coolers out of the way. I totally disagree with the guy on the toyota stuff last 60k more. Its more like 160k, the vr6 engine oh man where do i start...natrorious for timing chain/guide issues, some of the worst coolant systems ever with a secondary water pump. I can go on trust me i worked on plenty of them and some of freinds are vw/audi maniacs and love to hate them. They know they are pos but insist theres just nothing like vw out there.
Old 01-22-13, 07:41 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

My opinion of German cars in general is that they are designed by fine German engineers to be regularly maintained by fine German technicians.
Old 01-22-13, 07:55 AM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

That sums it up precisely!
Old 01-22-13, 10:22 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I tried to stay 35 ish but jumped to 45 K 8500 miles 4 months old invoice 56K.

The whole time I owned my LS I just wished it handled better. I drove a 535xi and it was real nice of course overpriced and when the BMW salesman fessed up I would have to rebuild the front end at 100k I walked it had 35 k on it. Not as quiet as the LS but it handed sweet.

I drove a Passat in a New York rental fleet , only to see at 20k miles it felt like 70k or more and the rental guy said "nice when new but the NY roads tear em up" when I brought it back, rent a Camry or Altima he said. The A8 was real nice but for 35-45 g's I wasn't gonna get a 7/110 platinum warrantee with any miles left similar to the 535xi.

Then wifey wanted to sit up high and wants AWD ok. RX too soft, MDX to nose heavy treg handled better, Enclave 48g's with pushbutton start etc. nice but no wow factor, Infinit FX too stiff handled good, MB too expensive, X5's everywhere(8 speed tranny on Treg versus 6 spped on X5 diesel real nice to keep the RPM's down sport shifting for the diesel low power band), Flex too heavy, didn't even try the Ford Edge, Durango no go, Cherokee 5 speed tranny, everywhere and not a Chrysler fan, Land Rover sport real nice real costly. I drove most of them. this TDI Exec diesel came up and it was just like my LS quiet, good blend of hwy around town driving comfort and I wake up on a Sunday am still and go driving.I get home i go driving just to get some peace with the Panaudio stereo blasting.

I read the touareg forum and most of the folks had good stories of the new redesign, just like you see new audi's improving. I have had more problems than most anyone with the 11-12 redesign(Prior tregs had issues but all VW started to improve in 08 or so, they had to. Not trying to justify my purchase I looked an looked an looked for the rightr feel the right fun like my LS. I have 7/110 warrantee or i dump it. I am still looking for a new 430 as i know when I have a sure thing to replace my current LS.

75 rabbit I remember the Le Cra(le coffin 3 lug nots) the Horizon with the VW motor(mosquito foggers).

As far as German engineers they seem to be like the old US guys ya see a problem wait 5-6 years to fix it where the japanese fix it that year. German engineers should have to repair the cars they design and pay for it but they beat there chests with these sporty designs, rigid frames which transfer all the load to the suspension and people drive em hard. And stuff breaks.

I said to myself if I am gnna shell out this amount of dough, I need low miles a fun fun car to drive and a long warrantee. I hope for the best as the diesel concept has issues in itself!! Thanks Go drive one!! or drive the Hybrid, glad I did not get the VR6 3.6 now that I know it has issues.
Old 01-22-13, 10:34 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

or go drive a 012 Cayenne TDI but with the 20 inch wheels. You will also get 20 way sport seats, mine does not have, lane recogniton this and that air suspension and all sorts of additional creature features but the suspension and chassis and drivtrain is identicle and made on the same line in europe. Touareg is like model a b or c cayenne Prolly start at 72k and up fast..
Old 01-22-13, 11:23 AM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

for 35-45k you can buy an AWD gs350 with low miles or an awd ls460. Why in the world would i buy a any VW product over those two? The carbon build up/valve train problems are non present if you compare to the problems any VW is having across the line up.
Old 01-22-13, 11:34 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Dude I get it you do not like VW's but read my post. GS is a car i think RX is boring soft and bought mostly by woman,handles like my LS not a Ceyenne. wife wanted an SUV sit up high and AWD.

LS460 AWD sits low will not tow 7700 lbs RX only 3500 lbs. GS Zero

I was just making a point about the 2 forums i hope the new redesing is a winner bot it covered with warrantee see the post!! If I am damned so be. If not I saw one review second funnest new vehicle out there in 011 i agree.

I am happy as a pig in mud with this vehicle I test drove em all
Old 01-22-13, 11:52 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by warminwisc
The whole time I owned my LS I just wished it handled better.
I know one upgrade that made a really nice improvement in that department was adding the larger rear sway bar from the LS Sport model. You can find them at the Lexus dealer or from Sewell. It's a cheap upgrade that is about as difficult to swap out as changing your oil.

I agree that the regular LS model handling is too much like a boat, but the thicker rear sway bar made turning sharper with zero ride handling penalty. It's how they all SHOULD have come from the factory.

If I was comfortably loaded, I'd probably just lease new European sedans and swap it out with a new one every 2-3 years, but since I buy used and usually outside of any warranty, I stay away from European cars, ESPECIALLY VW/Audi.

I stick with Japanese cars, the stereotypes have been true in my experience. They rarely have any service issues even over 100k miles and have great resale. American and European cars though can be nightmares once they're outside the factory warranty.
Old 01-22-13, 02:43 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Only thing non Lexus that realistically draws my attention these days is the Porsche Panamera or the Cayenne. If my self imposed (mostly wife imposed) yearly car budget was a little larger we'd likely have one of these.
Old 01-22-13, 07:27 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the advice on the sway bar I continue to keep looking for the next 430 for my work sedan and will install it. Touareg/Cayenne Just go drive one, no 3.6 or turbo gasser. I get up early on Saturdays, house is still asleep and hit the dealers for test drives they always seem friendly to a sale and to me I am spending some money and need to be prudent.

I forgot CX-9 real plasticy, no wow factor, but nice and cheap. I wanna tow a 22-23 foot bow rider this spring to door County so the Treg is fine for this also. The RX f sport may be nice it was not out when I got the treg but ya gotta drive 406 lbs of torque though or the Hybrid 430 lbs will through ya back, pocket book also. The Hybrids are a sweet used car deal though....with a warrantee.

Lexus are nice but if ya get a long warrantee on a German car it is something to think about though they are fun. good to have both!
Old 01-23-13, 01:11 AM
TSA1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lynzoid
TSA1 - guilty, been there. And Phaeton is impressive, if you look at it from afar.... Interior is stunning too.
Yes it is and impressive car. The main issue is that ZF transmission, its unpredictable and you essential win the lottery if it goes past 150k. Over on the 7 series forums, some of those things go at 70-100k. Those retracting vent covers are dope, I am a sucker for stuff like that. haha

Quick Reply: LS 430 versus VW Touareg