LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Windshield replacement LS 430 '06

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-14, 08:29 PM
rrgone
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the windshield replaced in our 98 LS400 a few years back. I insisted on Lexus glass with the insurance (Amerprise) and after a second call they agreed. I took it in to a local place (now gone)recommended by Lexus Tucson for the work. I was happy with the replacement - good fitment, etc. I noticed later that the new glass was marked Toyota, not Lexus... I wonder if perhaps there are some Toyota's that use the same windshield?
Old 02-04-14, 09:28 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by rrgone
I had the windshield replaced in our 98 LS400 a few years back. I insisted on Lexus glass with the insurance (Amerprise) and after a second call they agreed. I took it in to a local place (now gone)recommended by Lexus Tucson for the work. I was happy with the replacement - good fitment, etc. I noticed later that the new glass was marked Toyota, not Lexus... I wonder if perhaps there are some Toyota's that use the same windshield?
They did not install a Lexus OEM glass in your car.

A Lexus OEM glass will have the following on the glass:

LEXUS
ASAHI DOT-20

Asahi is the exclusive manufacturer for Lexus. The DOT number is assigned by the Department of Transportation and designates where the glass is manufactured. If that manufacturer wants to manufacture in China for instance, they must apply for and use a new DOT number. The DOT numbers are assigned chronologically. Notice that the Lexus number is a very low 20. Typical non-OEM glass will have a DOT number in the 600's or higher number.

Lexus has always been DOT-20. My 1992 SC400 had it and the new Lexus cars have it. You can always tell if the glass of any Lexus has been replaced with non-OEM glass by looking for the above lettering.

Last edited by jayclapp; 02-04-14 at 09:32 AM.
Old 02-04-14, 09:53 AM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Retperio
I called USAA and asked for an OEM windshield and they said no. The car was over 2 yrs old and they wouldn't do it. Said the OEM was 1700 dollars and I would have to pay for the difference even tho' I have a 250 dollar deduct and have been with them for 52 years. How did you get them to do yours? Retperio
I just went thru the same BS with Geico. They refused to replace with OEM glass for my IS350 (I also been with them for over 10 years without a single claim). I searched around and found a place that use Pilkington glass (supposedly the same manufacturer for OEM). To be honest, I cant really tell the different. Maybe more windnoise but that noise significantly reduced after I replaced the rubber trims. Make sure they replaced the trims (some companies wont replace the trims so you have to purchase them yourself).
Good luck
Old 02-04-14, 10:31 AM
Coulter
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I honestly don't blame insurance companies for not paying for an OEM windshield when the price is outrageous. You're talking about wiping out more than an entire year of premiums for a chip in a windshield. Unless you want them to double everyone's premium, they have to be cost conscious to have affordable rates.

The idea that all glass without a Lexus logo is crap from China is false. Many of the glass companies like Pilkington actually make the OEM glass for Toyota.
Old 02-04-14, 10:36 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Pilkington is not OEM but they do make good glass and have been around a long time. I replaced my windshield with Pilkington when I got the car because of pitting in the original glass. I have been happy with mine, only one small nick that happened with the recent storm here in Atlanta. Always those trucks kicking up rocks....
Old 02-04-14, 12:18 PM
Coulter
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Pilkington is not OEM but they do make good glass and have been around a long time. I replaced my windshield with Pilkington when I got the car because of pitting in the original glass. I have been happy with mine, only one small nick that happened with the recent storm here in Atlanta. Always those trucks kicking up rocks....
Pilkington IS an OEM supplier for many automakers, you can see on their company web page, they sell factory glass directly to General Motors, Ford, Chrysler, BMW, Honda, Toyota, and many others.

http://cms.pilkington.com/north-amer...faqs.htm#faq11
Old 02-04-14, 12:28 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

They did not make the LS430 glass is what I am saying.

Take a look at your DOT code on the glass. Asahi Glass Co. Ltd and I think another another Japanese firm made glass for the 430. Dot 20 is Asashi. My Pilkington is 177.

http://www.glassbytes.com/dot/

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 02-04-14 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-04-14, 01:04 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Coulter
Pilkington IS an OEM supplier for many automakers, you can see on their company web page, they sell factory glass directly to General Motors, Ford, Chrysler, BMW, Honda, Toyota, and many others.

http://cms.pilkington.com/north-amer...faqs.htm#faq11
Pilkington does not make OEM glass for Lexus. End of story.
Old 02-04-14, 03:47 PM
Coulter
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
They did not make the LS430 glass is what I am saying.

]
No one ever said they were, you said Pilkington was not an OEM when I said they were an OEM for many different brands. OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. They are are an OEM for many brands including Toyota. My point was that they have standards high enough to be what comes from the factory on new cars. Does it really make sense that BMW or Toyota are going to have windshields brand new from the factory that aren't high quality?

Originally Posted by jayclapp
Pilkington does not make OEM glass for Lexus. End of story.
Again, no one ever said they were, but your assertion that any glass that doesn't say Lexus is probably made in China is wrong (which you've now edited) So I'm not sure what you are arguing about here.

Some people have this crazy idea that anything not from a dealership will somehow make your car blow up. There are alternatives, a Lexus logo does not mean it was made by magical fairies. Other companies can manufacture quality parts for quality companies.
Old 02-04-14, 05:48 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Coulter
No one ever said they were, you said Pilkington was not an OEM when I said they were an OEM for many different brands. OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. They are are an OEM for many brands including Toyota. My point was that they have standards high enough to be what comes from the factory on new cars. Does it really make sense that BMW or Toyota are going to have windshields brand new from the factory that aren't high quality?

Again, no one ever said they were, but your assertion that any glass that doesn't say Lexus is probably made in China is wrong (which you've now edited) So I'm not sure what you are arguing about here.

Some people have this crazy idea that anything not from a dealership will somehow make your car blow up. There are alternatives, a Lexus logo does not mean it was made by magical fairies. Other companies can manufacture quality parts for quality companies.
It's not a matter of whether or not non- OEM glass manufacturers CAN make a quality glass. There are specifically making cheap and consequently low quality glass at the demands of the insurance companies. They only exist because the insurance companies will not pay for quality glass. Those suppliers must cut cost at the expense of quality to become a supplier.

Companies moving manufacturing outside of the US has greatly reduced the quality of products the US citizens have accessiblity to unquestioned. US companies are primarily responsible for this, while they claim that the customers demand it. How many time have you been asked if you prefer cheap foreign goods?

I had my windshield replaced in a Toyota and it took three tries before I could get radio reciption (first cheap windshield replacement) and a windshield with so much distortion that it made you dizzy to look thru it while driving (second windshield).

While the Pilkington DOT-177 windshield is free of distortion, the tint is lighter than the OEM and the green tint at the top of the windshield is not the same color as the OEM. Also, I have noticed that I have hundreds of very small nicks in the windshield that produce glare when driving into the sun. Also, there is not rain repellant. The windshield, while not manufactured in China, is clearly inferior to the OEM and is not "like kind, same quality" glass. My replacement glass installer told me he paid less than $100 for this "quality" glass, but had to check with 3 local distributors before he found one that was not made in China.

My concern is that the insurance company has basically forced me to reduce the overall quality of my UL unless I was willing to pay the difference to maintain the quality of my car. That is not why I purchased auto insurance.

Be very afraid of what your insurance company will pay you if you get in an accident that is not your fault and they total the car. You will lose thousands of dollars if your car is in excellent condition and not a piece of crap.

The quality of our life is being eroded by corporate greed. This is what I am arguing about.
Old 02-04-14, 06:05 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

You could also argue $2,000 for a windshield could be another example of "corporate greed."

I don't think a dealer-sourced windshield makes much financial sense when a quality alternative can be found at about a 90% discount Brands like PPG and Pilkington come from the same factory that makes the same glass that goes on new cars, so they have OEM quality. And it's usually made in the United States, not China.

I don't know what goes on with the supply chain that makes a dealer-sourced windshield so expensive, but I'm guessing a lot of that cost is because the windshield has to be shipped from Japan whereas many of the other brands are made here.

I just don't think anyone can make a solid case that a Lexus windshield is worth the 1000% markup over a quality alternative, and I think people are blowing hot air when they say only a Lexus windshield is an acceptable replacement.

Last edited by BradTank; 02-04-14 at 06:11 PM.
Old 02-04-14, 06:19 PM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank
You could also argue $2,000 for a windshield could be another example of "corporate greed."

I don't think a dealer-sourced windshield makes much financial sense when a quality alternative can be found at about a 90% discount Brands like PPG and Pilkington come from the same factory that makes the same glass that goes on new cars, so they have OEM quality. And it's usually made in the United States, not China.

I don't know what goes on with the supply chain that makes a dealer-sourced windshield so expensive, but I'm guessing a lot of that cost is because the windshield has to be shipped from Japan whereas many of the other brands are made here.

I just don't think anyone can make a solid case that a Lexus windshield is worth the 10,000% markup over a quality alternative, and I think people are blowing hot air when they say only a Lexus windshield is an acceptable replacement.
I agree with you here. I have had several old vehicles choc full of cheap aftermarket parts without any problems. I've also had it where there are manufacturing defects with OEM parts (continually breaking) that are improved upon on by the aftermarket supplier.

I agree that some cars are probably more sensitive to certain components (sensor related), but overall I believe that the dealerships scare people into paying big bucks for "piece of mind".

Also, anyone who keeps a car thinking it's an investment (even a Lexus L430) is in for a rude awakening. All cars depreciate quickly and are worth only a fraction of the cost after a few years - especially luxury vehicles.
Old 02-04-14, 06:23 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by jayclapp
They did not install a Lexus OEM glass in your car.

A Lexus OEM glass will have the following on the glass:

LEXUS
ASAHI DOT-20
Actually they did install OEM glass even though it was imprinted only with "Toyota".

The model year in which the word "Lexus" started appearing on windshields and the other glass in Lexus vehicles depends on model.

For example, all six windows in my 2000 LS400, including the expensive OEM windshield I got a couple of years ago. are imprinted with "Toyota". The word "Lexus does not appear.

Y'all do know, don't you, that the Toyota Motor Company makes all vehicles branded Toyota, Lexus and Scion?

Lexus is just a brand for marketing and distribution purposes.
Old 02-04-14, 06:54 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

We all know Lexus is a Toyota brand. Parts were not all sourced from the same factories. The dot number shows the factory. Pretty sure all ls430's got the local Asahi glass.
Old 02-05-14, 07:56 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

My Pilkington windshield has LEXUS imprinted on it, but it is followed by Pilkington DOT-177, which clearly identifies it as not being made in Japan and not OEM (check the DOT listing for confirmation). This imprinted identification is also located on the lower right (passenger) side of the windshield.

My 1992 SC400, which I purchased new in 1991, came with LEXUS ASAHI DOT-20.

Quick Reply: Windshield replacement LS 430 '06