LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Lower engine shield and o2 sensors

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-12, 04:14 PM
nmikmik
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lower engine shield and o2 sensors

Just replaced two of my upstream o2 sensors. Whoever said it was easy must be a lot younger, skinnier than me or have a lift or possibly all of the above.
To get to the sensor had of course to take out both plastic shields but decided not to put them back yet for two reasons. My passenger side sensor came without the clip that is suppose to hod it down to the frame and I am planing on doing an oil and ATF change in about 3k and I am lazy
How much of the problem to leave them off for awhile? I see there is a plastic bracket on the passenger side where the shield is attached to and it seems a little flimsy without it.
Any ideas, suggestions?
Other than "Stop been lazy" - that i can not do anymore.
Thanks!
Old 12-27-12, 05:18 PM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Stop being lazy ...... j/k

The plastic shield is there for two reasons:
1. To function as a spoiler underneath and direct air out of the back easily. Part of the reason why our cars have .26 drag coefficient.
2. To limit amount of dirt and grime in the engine compartment significantly.
I see no reason why you can't leave it off.
Old 12-27-12, 06:02 PM
nmikmik
Rookie

Thanks,
i am not as concerned as you are (because of where i live) about the dirt on the bottom. Although it's a rainy season here, it still gets about 9" of rain a year in SoCal and the drag for another 2k is not a big deal. It's just the bracket that concerns me the most, if it's about to fall off without the shield.
btw, how do you guys change the oil without taking the shield down? I noticed there is a slit in it, but i doubt it's comfortable to get to the oil filter....
Old 12-27-12, 07:41 PM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

I don't change oil myself. My cousins husband owns a shop, I bring my own full synthetic w5-30 oil (BJ's has great price of $20 for box of 6qt) and OEM oil filter from Sewell for $4.95. He charges me $5 labor. Where was I going with this? Ah yes, I saw how mechanic used that cut flap to take old filter out and put a new one in. Didn't look too hard from where I was standing.
Old 12-28-12, 12:11 PM
nmikmik
Rookie

Good for you,
i doubt that $5 covers the cost of electricity to run the lift
Bring him a bottle of Vodka next time he does it (just a nice gesture) or have your wife make some brownies for the guys at the shop, that way they won't feel like you are a complete freeloader
Thanks for the info,
Old 12-28-12, 09:45 PM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

I bring him clients and fix his and my cousin's computers. Also my cousin just gave birth to a baby boy, so not only I became an uncle, her husband Max can't really drink now, vodka is out of the picture for now
I'm single now and unfortunately don't know how to make brownies but I always give at least $5 tip for an oil change.
The shop I used to go to before always took off the bottom shield..... to me there are two important things:
1. Oil change
2. Clean up after it.
If these two are met I don't care if shield is off or on.
Anytime. By the way BJ's has oil on sale now, Shell full synthetic 5 or 10-30 for $20/6qt or $37/12qt.
Old 12-30-12, 05:05 PM
nmikmik
Rookie

Thanks,

I am not a big fan of Shell, but this is really good price for a group III "synthetic" oil. Unfortunately the BJ' & i mean the wholesale, is not present on the left coast. Other than that life is good