LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS 430 Timing Belt replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-13, 03:25 PM
zippinbye
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My friend became owner #3 an 02 LS 430 on my advice last year. 147k mileage. Records consisted of owner #1 taking it to the dealer for everything through 60K or so. Owner #2 had indie shop records, quite detailed for oil changes, brakes, coolant change and a few other things, all done at responsible intervals. No docs on TB. Seller didn't know #*&$ about cars, but we kind of assumed the TB had been done based on evident overall care, but there was no sticker indicating so. Called the indy. He couldn't remember doing it, but said his often advises customers to wait until the water pump weeps or makes noise, and then do the whole package. He said "I'm 38, started as an oil change monkey at at a Lexus dealer at 18. Went to tech school and became full-fledged line service guy. 15 years in Toy/Lex dealers, now 5 in my own place. I have never seen a hydraulically tensioned Toyota engine break a belt. Period. Seen them with 300K+ even. But reality is the pump goes in the 100-150K range, and that's when I recommend changing the belt. On a typical 90K LS, I'd rather see my customers tend to a front end issue or some other maintenance item rather than waste a grand on something unnecessary." Enlightening from a guy who could have made more money going the other way. My buddy used the lack of TB change proof as leverage, and the seller honored it dollar for dollar.

Anyhow, said LS water pump got squeaky at 155K. We took it apart a few days ago and found that everything associated with timing and cooling was original. And in good visual condition. We're waiting on parts, but it will be rolling with a new belt, tensioned water pump, and coolant very soon. Based on what I saw, I don't have much grief that my GX has 95K and I'm waiting until I have some time off next month to address it.
The following users liked this post:
430SLOwner (06-28-19)
Old 04-28-13, 11:45 PM
ForrestY33
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zippinbye
My friend became owner #3 an 02 LS 430 on my advice last year. 147k mileage. Records consisted of owner #1 taking it to the dealer for everything through 60K or so. Owner #2 had indie shop records, quite detailed for oil changes, brakes, coolant change and a few other things, all done at responsible intervals. No docs on TB. Seller didn't know #*&$ about cars, but we kind of assumed the TB had been done based on evident overall care, but there was no sticker indicating so. Called the indy. He couldn't remember doing it, but said his often advises customers to wait until the water pump weeps or makes noise, and then do the whole package. He said "I'm 38, started as an oil change monkey at at a Lexus dealer at 18. Went to tech school and became full-fledged line service guy. 15 years in Toy/Lex dealers, now 5 in my own place. I have never seen a hydraulically tensioned Toyota engine break a belt. Period. Seen them with 300K+ even. But reality is the pump goes in the 100-150K range, and that's when I recommend changing the belt. On a typical 90K LS, I'd rather see my customers tend to a front end issue or some other maintenance item rather than waste a grand on something unnecessary." Enlightening from a guy who could have made more money going the other way. My buddy used the lack of TB change proof as leverage, and the seller honored it dollar for dollar.

Anyhow, said LS water pump got squeaky at 155K. We took it apart a few days ago and found that everything associated with timing and cooling was original. And in good visual condition. We're waiting on parts, but it will be rolling with a new belt, tensioned water pump, and coolant very soon. Based on what I saw, I don't have much grief that my GX has 95K and I'm waiting until I have some time off next month to address it.
I got the exact same advice from a trusted independent Toyota/Lexus tech when I called him to see how much he would charge to change my timing belt at 90K. He advised me to wait if/until the water pump started failing and then change the timing belt then.
430SLOwner (06-28-19)
Old 04-29-13, 09:35 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Shops LOVE to do timing belts, it's a gravy job that usually technicians fight over. Just be aware of that when you get the upsell.

I have a friend with an Acura TL and the dealer convinced him to have a timing belt replacement with something like 4 years and 55k miles. He knows absolutely nothing about cars and the dealer knew it and scared him with horror stories about buying a new engine. I believe the owner's manual on that particular model states 105k miles for the timing belt.
430SLOwner (06-28-19)
Old 04-29-13, 11:26 AM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by ForrestY33
I got the exact same advice from a trusted independent Toyota/Lexus tech when I called him to see how much he would charge to change my timing belt at 90K. He advised me to wait if/until the water pump started failing and then change the timing belt then.
On the contrary my untrusted Lexus dealer wanted me to change timing belt 2 years ago at 58K and bunch of other stuff totaling $4K.

I was in a pinch to resolve the rounded/stuck lugnut issue and had forked over $800 already. Within a month (and driving car for 4 times in that period) axle leak started. I went back for warranty and they were not willing to accept that it was their fault. I showed them $4K carrot and got $500 worth (in Lexus dollars which means $100 elsewhere) of fix done and then waved them good bye at the end. They were not very happy and felt I was not caring for my car. Well, they don't know how much I care for my car and how up to date I am on every little item.
Old 05-02-13, 04:08 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Just leaned today reading through forum that sjohnson83 changed TB/WP at 260K miles first time after he bought the car in 2005 at 85K. Car runs as a Taxi and he uses regular gas.
Afterall it is one's risk taking ability. I think Lexus will pass the test but owner may not.
Old 05-04-13, 01:59 PM
levie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i could see the dealer wanting to do it way more often then you should in an attepmt to make more money off you coming in to do it. I just got my LS and havent had much time to really tinker with it. If i want to check the condition of my TB/WP would i just be able to pop the cover off and have a look at it, or is it a pain in the butt to get a look at?

Photos would be helpful as well.

Thanks guys.
Old 05-05-13, 08:42 PM
Owngold
Driver School Candidate

As a new forum member, Thank you for all the great and detailed answers here. Without asking new questions there a lot of answers to glean.

Basically, I'm hearing that mileage trumps age? Is that about right? I'm looking at a '01 with 85k miles. Should I plan on a TB right away?
Old 05-07-13, 09:26 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Owngold
As a new forum member, Thank you for all the great and detailed answers here. Without asking new questions there a lot of answers to glean.

Basically, I'm hearing that mileage trumps age? Is that about right? I'm looking at a '01 with 85k miles. Should I plan on a TB right away?
I think it would be a good idea to get it done. I bought my LS with 89k miles and I'm going to replace the timing belt and all that stuff since one of my tensioners is squealing. I just hit 98k last week.

I've been browing Rockauto's site and tbey have the OEM kit pretty cheap.
Old 05-07-13, 03:14 PM
Owngold
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kira X
I think it would be a good idea to get it done. I bought my LS with 89k miles and I'm going to replace the timing belt and all that stuff since one of my tensioners is squealing. I just hit 98k last week.

I've been browing Rockauto's site and tbey have the OEM kit pretty cheap.
Let me know how that goes Kira X. What's the package code or kit on Rockauto! Price? Does it include water pump?
Old 05-07-13, 04:13 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Smile

Originally Posted by Owngold
Let me know how that goes Kira X. What's the package code or kit on Rockauto! Price? Does it include water pump?
It does include the water pump. I'll have to look when I get home to see the price since I'm posting from my phone right now. It's the AISIN kit.
Old 05-07-13, 05:55 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

AISIN Part # TKT021 Engine Timing Belt Kit with Water Pump
Hydraulic Tensioner: Included; Interference Engine: With; With Hydraulic Tensioner; Interference engine

$194.79
Attached Thumbnails LS 430 Timing Belt replacement-tkt-021.jpg  
Old 05-09-13, 03:38 PM
choiceISF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BMW7_LS430
Op was confused and thanks to this board OP is now confused more.

Here is my contribution to increasing confusion.
I have 73K miles on 04 and I am not going to replace timing belt until at least 90K and that means another 3 years or so. We will see how it goes but I am confident that it will go well.

Problem with car forums is that people spend way more money than necessary to keep the car running.
I have an 04 with 78k miles,
All this talk got me to contact my Lexus mechanic that has worked on my LS since day 1.
I asked him if I should take care of the timing belt now even though I am not at 90K.
He said he would do it if i wanted but he said to wait atleast until 90K.
Old 05-09-13, 04:46 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Smile

Originally Posted by BMW7_LS430
AISIN Part # TKT021 Engine Timing Belt Kit with Water Pump
Hydraulic Tensioner: Included; Interference Engine: With; With Hydraulic Tensioner; Interference engine

$194.79
That's it! I'm ordering one in the next week or so. Rock Auto sent me a 5% off coupon.

Is there anything else besides the stuff in the kit and spark plugs that needs to be replaced at 90k miles?
Old 05-11-13, 07:54 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

fyi. Just got my 04 LS430 back after having the timing belt changed at 90,030 miles. They gave me the old belt. Visually, it looks new.
Old 05-11-13, 12:08 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Originally Posted by jayclapp
fyi. Just got my 04 LS430 back after having the timing belt changed at 90,030 miles. They gave me the old belt. Visually, it looks new.
Thanks for the first hand report. I can continue to wait now.

Quick Reply: LS 430 Timing Belt replacement