LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Help, door lock actuator, is it broken?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-12, 10:31 AM
69charger
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, door lock actuator, is it broken?

Help, my 2001 LS430 passenger door lock doesn't work. Using my key or from the drivers master door lock the passenger toggle lock will only move 1/8" toward lock or unlock when pressed pressed but won't fully go to the correct lock or unlock position. I can lock or unlock it by hand manually, so the latch works. Is there a problem w/ the door actuator? Has anyone had a similar problem? Any help is appreciated. I have a replacement actuator. Bryan
Old 11-25-12, 11:47 AM
svt5150
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes that is your door actuator. My GS had the same issue and I just picked up an LS and the passenger front door is doing the same thing.
Old 11-26-12, 01:12 PM
Hawkenheim
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, I'm in the same boat with my drivers side door. It's the actuator. There is a thread here in the forums that discuses a do-it-yourself approach to replace the electric motor and rebuild it on the cheap, or you can purchase a new actuator from this site below, which gives you a fairly solid price if you're a Club Lexus member:
http://lexus.sewellparts.com/parts-c...S430-2005.html

I just bought the timing belt kit for the LS430 from these guys, and they sent me every single part that the dealer uses to do the timing belt job. They were also very professional and fast..

I'm debating on how I'm going to tackle the actuator issue myself, as I don't see it as a huge issue to lock the car manually. First world problems eh?
Old 11-26-12, 07:17 PM
69charger
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Hawkenheim
Yeah, I'm in the same boat with my drivers side door. It's the actuator. There is a thread here in the forums that discuses a do-it-yourself approach to replace the electric motor and rebuild it on the cheap, or you can purchase a new actuator from this site below, which gives you a fairly solid price if you're a Club Lexus member:

I just bought the timing belt kit for the LS430 from these guys, and they sent me every single part that the dealer uses to do the timing belt job. They were also very professional and fast..

I'm debating on how I'm going to tackle the actuator issue myself, as I don't see it as a huge issue to lock the car manually. First world problems eh?
My back door has a latch issue so I'm going to replace the actuator motor during the process. I would guess that it would take an easy 5-6 hours to remove and replace the actuator motor from the case w/ the easy close system attached. I bought the actuator motor 'Mabuchi" off ebay. Try tag16c site to buy. I paid around $5.00 mailed.
Old 11-26-12, 07:20 PM
69charger
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by svt5150
Yes that is your door actuator. My GS had the same issue and I just picked up an LS and the passenger front door is doing the same thing.
Thanks for the reply, I needed to know before I pull it apart.
Old 11-30-12, 05:20 AM
KAHUNA
Rookie

My wd40 solution still working, had the rear passenger door have same issue as front passenger and I sprayed wd40 into all the cracks around the lock switch, worked lock back and forth a bunch of times. May just be luck but my front door is on over three months of working perfectly still and back door now just a few days but working.
Old 12-01-12, 11:35 AM
69charger
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Hawkenheim

OK, I now have my door actuator, thanks for your help. I need to make the round shaft into a "D" shaft configuration. Do you know how to open the actuator or file the shaft while holding it from spinning? Thx, Bryan
Old 12-01-12, 11:38 AM
69charger
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KAHUNA
My wd40 solution still working, had the rear passenger door have same issue as front passenger and I sprayed wd40 into all the cracks around the lock switch, worked lock back and forth a bunch of times. May just be luck but my front door is on over three months of working perfectly still and back door now just a few days but working.
wd40 great idea, is it working? Did you need to remove the door panel or just spray it in place?

Thx, Bryan
Old 12-01-12, 11:46 AM
69charger
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by svt5150
Did you fix the actuator problem? I need to install my actuator now but I have to modify the actuator shaft from the round to a "D" configuration. If you did this, how do I get the actuator apart to file the shaft or simply replace the round one w/ the "D" shaft off the old. I could also file the new shaft in place but how to keep it from spinning is the question, any suggestions?
Old 12-03-12, 06:45 AM
KAHUNA
Rookie

Originally Posted by 69charger
wd40 great idea, is it working? Did you need to remove the door panel or just spray it in place?

Thx, Bryan
I did not remove anything - I sprayed with the little hose on the WD40 can all around the manual lock on the door the piece you grab when unlocking the door by hand(on the inside of the car) and then worked that switch back and forth a bunch of time sprayed some more and did the same in both unlocked and locked position.

My locks would move slightly when using the electronic methond so I knew the motors were not dead and the wd40 was just a shot int he dark that happened to work -