LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

after 2 years, time to visit the dealer .....

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-12, 06:00 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts
Default after 2 years, time to visit the dealer .....

Driving the LS for 2 years, and just done oil changes, 3 sets of tires & many wheel allignments.
The car is an 05, has 78,000 miles, and drives great.

I have ZERO service history for the car so got no idea what's been done, if anything. !

I'd want the "right things" done, but no idea what that means, which is why I am going to a dealer. I don't think it's a smart idea to tell them to check it over and do whatever it needs, so I thought other owners input could be valuable here.

besides stopping the driver window from squeeking, what should I ask them to do?
Old 11-20-12, 06:19 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Inside filters, t belt soon? Tranny flush, or just drain( many posts on this)
Torque the flange bolts, HUH?
Diff fluid,
p steering or brake I forget which one.
plugs at 125 miles or so
Let me know what they did for the squeek!
Old 11-20-12, 07:27 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Dealer may be able to tell you about service history based on DIN. You can also do yourself this on Lexus.com owners site.

If there is no history and you have 78k miles on it, I'd change all the fluids so you have a base line maintenance to work with going forward. Change PS (you can easily diy on this one), Radiator coolant flush and fill, rear differential drain and fill, AT fluid (all fluid changed not just a drain and fill), Brake master cylinder flush and fill, and normal engine oil drain and fill if its time for oil change. And check and change (if necessary) all filters at same time - cabin, engine, and under seat. Change wipers if they are more than 2 years old.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 11-20-12 at 07:30 PM.
Old 11-20-12, 10:33 PM
masterff
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how do you change the under seat air cool filters?
Old 11-20-12, 11:09 PM
jstrummer
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...serviceHistory

Here's the link to get the car's service history.

Last edited by jstrummer; 11-20-12 at 11:17 PM.
Old 11-20-12, 11:50 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Persoanlly I think all above had AWESOME advice. That said, you can take there advice or just follow the schedule service from this point forward, pretty much I'd bet the previous owner(s) did the services needed. Your coming up in 20,000 miles on the 90,000 mile service were fluids etc., and other major items will be checked anyway so id just rely for another 20,000 miles on Lexus' rep as a reliable car company and just do service every 5,000 until then because I doubt if any issues will occur, dont spend any money unless you NEED to bud, I have a 2001 with 131,000 on it and no issues, only wear and tear and regular service. I consider Lexus the most reliable car in the luxury segment, left Benz for it, had ML 500 and S430 and though they drove more sporty, nothing compares to the reliability you just purchased. That said, all the previous advice was pertinent and useful so you can't go wrong either way you proceed bud!
Old 11-21-12, 09:03 AM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by warminwisc
Inside filters, t belt soon? Tranny flush, or just drain( many posts on this)
Torque the flange bolts, HUH?
Diff fluid,
p steering or brake I forget which one.
plugs at 125 miles or so
Let me know what they did for the squeek!
I will get that squeek fixed. Funny it the ONLY thing wrong with the car, lol

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Dealer may be able to tell you about service history based on DIN. You can also do yourself this on Lexus.com owners site.

If there is no history and you have 78k miles on it, I'd change all the fluids so you have a base line maintenance to work with going forward. Change PS (you can easily diy on this one), Radiator coolant flush and fill, rear differential drain and fill, AT fluid (all fluid changed not just a drain and fill), Brake master cylinder flush and fill, and normal engine oil drain and fill if its time for oil change. And check and change (if necessary) all filters at same time - cabin, engine, and under seat. Change wipers if they are more than 2 years old.
I already did all the filters, pretty easy but will absolutely do all the other stuff - thanks!

Originally Posted by jstrummer
https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...serviceHistory

Here's the link to get the car's service history.
cool, I will see what if anything was done. Thanks

Originally Posted by usermel
Persoanlly I think all above had AWESOME advice. That said, you can take there advice or just follow the schedule service from this point forward, pretty much I'd bet the previous owner(s) did the services needed. Your coming up in 20,000 miles on the 90,000 mile service were fluids etc., and other major items will be checked anyway so id just rely for another 20,000 miles on Lexus' rep as a reliable car company and just do service every 5,000 until then because I doubt if any issues will occur, dont spend any money unless you NEED to bud, I have a 2001 with 131,000 on it and no issues, only wear and tear and regular service. I consider Lexus the most reliable car in the luxury segment, left Benz for it, had ML 500 and S430 and though they drove more sporty, nothing compares to the reliability you just purchased. That said, all the previous advice was pertinent and useful so you can't go wrong either way you proceed bud!
Yup, all great advise for sure.

When I bouight the car it looked and drove like like a new car ( except for the highway wandering on new but defective tires ) so you're probably right that it had things done on schedule. Not sure if I will wait until it gets to 90,000 miles .... or just change all the fluids now.

Thanks everyone!
Old 11-22-12, 05:53 AM
rogzballz
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Were there any recalls?