LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Keyless Entry Trouble...

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-14, 05:57 AM
SuperCoupe400
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy Keyless Entry Trouble...

I noticed Sunday that my keyless entry started taking about 2 seconds to respond (double-beep & unlocking), vs. the virtually instantaneous reaction it had previous to then. Then late Sunday it stopped responding to me touching the door handle almost completely. It would unlock all the doors EXCEPT for the driver's door. And upon pressing the button on the door handle to re-arm the system, the back door locks would actuate repeatedly (4 or 5 times. Just clunk, clunk, clunk, ...) with no system arm or dis-arm beeps at all. And when I was able to get the car to lock, all doors locked except for the driver's. Additionally, instead of the usuale single 'clunk' of the doors locking, the locks would 'clunk' twice.

The ONLY thing I can think may have something to do with this strange behavior is that I spent the day Saturday doing a complete exterior detailing of the car. Clay bar, glaze coat, then carnauba waxing. I figure perhaps I got (too much) wax or glaze caked up on a sensor on the reverse side of one or more door handles. None of this started happening until the day following my detailing.

Has anybody had this sort of thing happen before? Can a build-up of wax cause this type of behavior?

(BTW, it's not a remote battery issue. These batts are only 3-months old. It's also not the position of the keyless toggle button below the dash. I've run through the paces multiple times with the button pressed vs. depressed.)

Thanks for any help you can give!
Old 07-07-14, 06:18 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Clean the sensors on the back or inside of the door handle. See if that helps. Waxing should not affect anything unless residue is on the touch sensor.
Old 07-07-14, 02:54 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

First try with other the other remote if you have two key fobs. Are symptoms the same? If you only have 1 fob I'd install a fresh battery just because it is easy and cheap.

Second clean door handle sensors - check the manual to make sure you fully test the function correctly. Black rubber buttons on top lock doors, under handle sensors unlock the door.

Third reset the system by disconnecting battery for 10 minutes or so - that's complete shot in the dark.

Is it possible that you got engine bay electronics, wiring, sensors very wet and maybe something is intermittently shorted?
Old 07-07-14, 04:06 PM
SuperCoupe400
Intermediate

Thanks fellas.

I actually took a bit of a wet rag to the sensor area of the driver's side handle first thing this morning before heading off to work, and sensitivity & proper function has improved. I'll go out there and hit all the handles with warm soapy water later to get more of whatever wax build-up remains.

So far it's looking like it's likely just a wax-clogged-sensor issue.
Old 07-07-14, 04:44 PM
BMWboy
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not cursing you or anything but it sounds a lot like what mine has been doing for a few weeks now. I was told that it's the actuator...Ouch! Lexus quoted me $600 parts and labor.
Old 07-07-14, 04:50 PM
SuperCoupe400
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BMWboy
Not cursing you or anything but it sounds a lot like what mine has been doing for a few weeks now. I was told that it's the actuator...Ouch! Lexus quoted me $600 parts and labor.

Well... I'd probably buy that if it hadn't started the day after 7 hours worth of polishing and waxing (I know, 7hrs is a lot, but when you have kids to manage simultaneously, everything takes longer).
Old 07-08-14, 04:46 PM
SuperCoupe400
Intermediate

Well, so far it's looking like the wax is not the culprit. I've cleaned the sensors and still getting intermittent failure of the keyless entry. Looks like I may be in line for that actuator replacement you mentioned after all, BMWboy.

It's a darn good thing I opted for the extended warranty when I bought this car last September. I almost didn't get it, because I had serious doubts about ever needing it for a car of such impeccable build quality, but this is one time I'm glad to be proven wrong.