LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Sunroof squeak!!! Driving me CRAZY!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-12, 06:16 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 186 Likes on 165 Posts
Default Sunroof squeak!!! Driving me CRAZY!!!

There is a squeak coming from my sunroof that has gotten worse over the past few months. 90% of the time, it's only when the moonroof is open, occasionally when shut. No rattles, sunroof works flawlessly...it is driving me insane, makes me think the car is junky because it is absolutely perfect in EVERY other area, and this car rivals the world's best (if not the best itself) for fit and finish/quality.

I know it is coming from the actual moonroof itself, because I can get it to do it when you tilt it down to close. So therefore it's somewhere where the moonroof actually tilts down, although it does it when it's slid back and open as well. I usually am spot on when it comes to cars, so I'm thinking I just need to lubricate it. Like I said, it's a squeak, not a rattle (a rattle would mean something is off or something needs to be tightened, right?). Surely to god a Lexus LS doesn't have a sunroof that's coming apart?

My question is how would I go about lubricating it? WD40 with the little straw? Where should I spray it?

If that doesn't fix it god will the dealer absolutely rape me to fix it?

Any ideas? Anyone had this issue?
Old 10-03-12, 06:40 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Some ppl on this forum have recommended shin etsu grease (sp?) from Honda to cure those rubber noises. I recently picked up some and applied to all my windows seals and it worked like a charm! You might want to pick up some of that stuff, tilt the roof up and apply around the seal areas. I'm planning to do this soon.
Old 10-03-12, 09:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Try cleaning the rubber gasket around the sunroof with some 303 Aerospace, I bet that will solvent...
Old 10-14-12, 08:16 AM
loughery
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cleaned all the dirt around my moonroof one the body and the rubber seal. I get the squeak as well. I will make it a point to correct this over the next few days. Thanks for the reminder!
Old 10-18-12, 07:44 PM
aqbill
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best solution is to clean with Aerospace 303 with a clean rag and then apply Honda shin etsu grease with your finger. Google shin etsu and you'll find it! Do this maybe 3 or 4 times a year - along with your door and window seals - and you'll probably be squeak free! Good luck!
Old 10-20-12, 08:08 PM
gbracer04
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aqbill
Best solution is to clean with Aerospace 303 with a clean rag and then apply Honda shin etsu grease with your finger. Google shin etsu and you'll find it! Do this maybe 3 or 4 times a year - along with your door and window seals - and you'll probably be squeak free! Good luck!
Is there anything I could purchase at the local hardware store for the window squeaks or is it only available online?
Old 10-23-12, 12:23 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gbracer04
Is there anything I could purchase at the local hardware store for the window squeaks or is it only available online?
I usually get the creaks and squeaks associated with the rubber on this vehicle maybe about every two weeks or so. What i use after i wash and detail my car is the rubber and trim protectant used for plastics,rubber and trim made by various companies but im currently using Meguiars. I apply it on all door seals, trunk seals, hood seal, and on the rubber surrounding the sunroof. This gets rid of all of the creak sound associated with them. It last for a good lil while but by me washing my car every fri, i use my method every other car wash or as needed.
Old 10-24-12, 08:13 PM
gbracer04
Rookie

Found some lubricating wet grease pads that seem to work so far. Now I have a tiny little rattle just above Nav where the clock is. When I put pressure on it while driving over bumps it stops. Its not a big deal because you can barely hear it with the radio off. Prob is these cars are so quiet inside you can hear an ant fart lol. I love it!
Old 10-25-12, 05:47 AM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by gbracer04
Found some lubricating wet grease pads that seem to work so far. Now I have a tiny little rattle just above Nav where the clock is. When I put pressure on it while driving over bumps it stops. Its not a big deal because you can barely hear it with the radio off. Prob is these cars are so quiet inside you can hear an ant fart lol. I love it!
Take off the panel surrounding the nav unit, you'll find four pins that are attached to it and seat into the dash frame... use a piece of electrical tape to insulate the pins in the female receptacles and this will insulate the movement of the surround and eliminate the rattle. Just put a piece of tape over the female receptacle and the pin will push into it keeping it from making bare metal-to-metal-contact.
Old 10-29-12, 11:04 PM
gbracer04
Rookie

Thanks! I will try that.
Old 03-11-15, 10:57 AM
acarapella
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

My sunroom makes noise when it's closed and the shade is open. Only when its above freezing. Sadly, it was below freezing for 2.5 months straight (not exaggerating) so it wasn't noticable. But you can tell that the flex of the body of the car (scary) makes the rubber surrounding rub the metal that the glass recesses into.

How about some SylGlid from Napa? It's a silicon gel in a toothpaste style tube
Old 03-11-15, 06:29 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 186 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by acarapella
My sunroom makes noise when it's closed and the shade is open. Only when its above freezing. Sadly, it was below freezing for 2.5 months straight (not exaggerating) so it wasn't noticable. But you can tell that the flex of the body of the car (scary) makes the rubber surrounding rub the metal that the glass recesses into.

How about some SylGlid from Napa? It's a silicon gel in a toothpaste style tube
Lol, I sprayed like half a can of WD40 all over the seals, etc. and let her sit in the hot sun for a few hours. Solved. Not a problem since. (This was over two years ago lol.)
Old 03-11-15, 06:40 PM
acarapella
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I had Camrys between the year 2007 and 2011… The 2007 was made in Japan, in the 2008 in the 2010 were made in Kentucky. The Kentucky made models had window seals for the class to rest up against when the windows were closed that would like rot and stick to the windows. The popping sound when one opens the windows sounded like it was gonna break the window regulators. Nothing worked permanently… I'm glad this issue isn't that serious