LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2005 to 2001 Interior Swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-20, 04:04 PM
mveale
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2005 to 2001 Interior Swap

I am finally back in a Lexus (after a half-decade hiatus) and in one of my all-time bucket list cars, a 2005 LS430. I will get into details about the car and my absurd plans for it in another thread, but for the purposes of this thread, all you need to know is that the interior is tan and it is absolutely DESTROYED. I hate tan interior and the front seats are pretty much junk, given the state they're in, so I am very interested in swapping the interior.

I have an opportunity to buy a wrecked 2001 LS430 with a near-perfect black interior at an auction and it's likely going to be cheap. I've been doing some research and it looks like everything should bolt in place okay, but I am curious about the electrical side of things. Did the 2004 facelift bring about significant changes to the electrical system? My main concern is the front seats, are the plugs different? If so, can they be repinned/wired fairly easily or am I going to be in over my head? Both cars have heated/cooled seats. The donor car is an Ultra Luxury and my car is a Modern Luxury. I am not concerned with the UL climate/seat controls actually being functional, mainly want to retain my power and cooled seats up front.

Interior Recipient: 2005 LS430 Modern Luxury Package
Interior Donor: 2001 LS430 Ultra Luxury Package

If you guys have any insight, I would appreciate hearing it ASAP. The donor car is up for auction tomorrow morning and if I can avoid it, I'd rather not buy a totaled 4,000LB car that won't provide me with any usable parts.

Thanks!
Old 02-04-20, 08:16 AM
BigBoomer
Instructor

Received 263 Likes on 216 Posts

From what I can see the front seats will be identical. Does your Modern Luxury have the heated/cooled front seat controls in the centre console?
Yes, the rears will be slightly different as the UL comes with the massage seats and the drinks cooler.
Old 02-04-20, 09:56 AM
mveale
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BigBoomer
From what I can see the front seats will be identical. Does your Modern Luxury have the heated/cooled front seat controls in the centre console?
Yes, the rears will be slightly different as the UL comes with the massage seats and the drinks cooler.
Yes, my ML has the same heated/cooled setup as the UL does, from what I can tell. Thank you for the input, I'm hopeful that it'll be a direct swap as well.

I ended up buying the wrecked car and will update this thread with how my swap goes once I get going on it.
Old 02-04-20, 10:24 AM
kos
Advanced

Received 116 Likes on 98 Posts

Some info a few threads down from yours here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...rior-swap.html
Old 02-04-20, 01:47 PM
YannG
Intermediate

Received 156 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by mveale
Yes, my ML has the same heated/cooled setup as the UL does, from what I can tell. Thank you for the input, I'm hopeful that it'll be a direct swap as well.

I ended up buying the wrecked car and will update this thread with how my swap goes once I get going on it.
Did you buy a black 04 LS 430 from NE - Lincoln on autobid? If so I was looking at that one!

Originally Posted by kos
Some info a few threads down from yours here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...rior-swap.html
Kos is indeed referring to my thread where I am basically looking to do the same thing as you so please post lots of pictures and updates as you go along!

Thanks,
Yann
Old 02-05-20, 11:12 AM
mveale
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kos
I read that thread, but didn't see anything definitive. Was hoping someone with some first-hand experience could chime in before I bought the car from the auction, however, it ended up going cheap enough that I bought it anyway. Lol

Originally Posted by YannG
Did you buy a black 04 LS 430 from NE - Lincoln on autobid? If so I was looking at that one!

Kos is indeed referring to my thread where I am basically looking to do the same thing as you so please post lots of pictures and updates as you go along!

Thanks,
Yann
No, I'm near Portland, OR and bought this thing:

https://auctions.speedstowingauction...-430_i35808425

It's honestly a shame that it was wrecked, it was a beautiful car and I'm assuming the exterior color is somewhat rare, or at least I've never seen it before. I will be ripping everything out of the donor car first (because it's immobile and stuck on my car trailer until I take it to the scrapper) and it may be a couple weeks before I get to the part where I'm swapping everything over. I will take lots of pictures and keep you updated!
Old 02-05-20, 07:17 PM
jharris400
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts

Wow what a great deal I wish I had the opportunity the buy that car and the place to store it while I parted it out and fixed up my 01 UL.
Old 02-08-20, 02:38 PM
mveale
Pole Position

Update:

I've been ripping the 2001-UL (black interior, parts car) apart and have tried installing a few pieces in the 2005-ML (tan interior, keeping car) car, just to see what kind of project I was in for:

- The front passenger door panel swapped over flawlessly and function as normal, I expect the driver's panel to do the same.

- Rear door panels bolt up and retain window/lock functions, but the harness is different due to the memory seat buttons in the 2001-UL interior and the 2005-ML door panel has a separate tweeter. Leaving the tweeter unplugged makes the mid-range driver non-functional, so I either need to paint the tan tweeter grille black and cut a hole in the 2001-UL panel for the tweeter, or simply leave the tweeter hooked up behind the panel and sacrifice some sound quality. Eventually, I'd like to bypass the Mark Lev system entirely and just run aftermarket amp & speakers, so I may just leave the tweeter behind the panel for now.

- There are 3 harnesses for the front passenger seat, two of which plug in perfectly: 1) The yellow air bag plug and 2) What I believe to be the power supply for the climate controlled seats. The third harness that connects the heated/cooled **** in the dashboard and supplies power for the positioning motors is different. The 01-UL seat has a 9-wire plug, the 05-ML seat has an 11 wire plug. At this point, I'm not sure if I'm going to repin the harness/splice wires or if I'm going to try to swap all the 01-UL black upholstery and plastics onto the 05-ML tan seat. I am leaning towards the upholstery swap.

- The power seat frames/sliders from 01-UL seem like they'll fit in the 05-ML body okay, but the mounting points are missing. Going to just weld them in place instead of worrying about studs, bolt holes, etc.

More info as I keep working on it...

The following users liked this post:
Chucky1 (02-08-20)
Old 02-08-20, 04:56 PM
YannG
Intermediate

Thank you for the updates so far and best of luck for the rest of the swap!

Old 02-09-20, 07:04 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 339 Likes on 292 Posts

What are you going to do about the dash???
Old 02-10-20, 03:57 PM
mveale
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sha4000
What are you going to do about the dash???
Pretty much just pray that it's all going to work. Lol. If I start pulling it out of the parts car and it's more trouble than it's worth or not going to work, I might use some black interior dye on the tan one and just change out the wood.
Old 02-10-20, 06:26 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 339 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by mveale
Pretty much just pray that it's all going to work. Lol. If I start pulling it out of the parts car and it's more trouble than it's worth or not going to work, I might use some black interior dye on the tan one and just change out the wood.
I actually pulled the dash from my 460 several times and it actually is not that hard. It's just time consuming since you have to remove the center console, radio, glove compartment and unbolt the steering wheel so you can drop it on the floor,
Old 02-15-20, 10:34 PM
mveale
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sha4000
I actually pulled the dash from my 460 several times and it actually is not that hard. It's just time consuming since you have to remove the center console, radio, glove compartment and unbolt the steering wheel so you can drop it on the floor,
I was pleasantly surprised at how the dash came out, actually. All the bolts were pretty accessible and other than the vents giving me a hard time, it was a pretty drama-free removal.

The 01-UL parts car is now stripped down to nothing inside, so I’m going to be working on swapping it all into the 05-ML car.

I was able to strip the front passenger seat down to the frame and swap all the black pieces onto it. It took a lot of time, but it’s more tedious than it is difficult. The only difference I can find between the two and, presumably, the source of the two extra wires in the 05-ML plug is some little sensor at the bottom of the seat back. I have no idea what it does, but it’s pictured below.

The steering wheel air bag is different, it appears that the 01-UL is a single stage bag and the 05-ML is a dual stage. I believe I’ll be able to swap the wiring harness in the wheel to retain all steering wheel control function, but they are definitely different between the two cars.

The following 3 users liked this post by mveale:
Peacebay (02-16-20), sha4000 (02-16-20), StanVanDam (02-18-20)
Old 02-16-20, 07:45 AM
100Cars
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I always admire people who are this ambitious with car projects.
Old 02-20-20, 12:59 PM
YannG
Intermediate

@mveale I think the extra wiring in the 05 ML is the wiring for the seatbelt buckle LED light ?

Quick Reply: 2005 to 2001 Interior Swap