LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Steering wheel not telescoping/adjusting automatically (2003)

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-12, 05:47 AM
loughery
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have telescopic problems with my '04 LS430 and found that the motor runs, but a rubber bushing is worn out. Fixing now, look for my post :-)
Old 09-21-12, 11:16 AM
loughery
Driver School Candidate

I learn more and more here, I just decided to replace my motors and spent $200 in the Snap-On truck outside the dealership buying special tools. Why don't wives understand there are more than one kind of screwdriver? That $200 almost cost me 50% for the rest of my life!
Old 09-29-12, 12:57 PM
Ruby786
Driver School Candidate

Smile Stearing not going up or down

Very nice video and great job. You made it look like so easy but I will try and find out.
Old 10-02-12, 02:59 PM
flyman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by motionman
The steering wheel on my 2003 LS430 (115,000 miles) stopped functioning properly.

When I turn the car off, the wheel retracts normally;
When I turn on the car, the wheel does nothing;
With the manual adjustment button, I can get the wheel to come out, but it will not adjust up or down.

It does not make any noise and does not appear to be unsuccessfully "trying" - it is simply not moving.

My mechanic says it is something that only the dealer can repair (due to part availability) and that it will cost about $2,500.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

MotionMan
you can buy the part like i done from discount toyota parts my steering column is doing the some thing i have the part i just need someone to put it in
Old 10-02-12, 03:02 PM
flyman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ruby786
Very nice video and great job. You made it look like so easy but I will try and find out.
can u send me that video i need to fix my up and down in my steering send to flowers8116@yahoo.com
Old 10-04-12, 07:04 AM
Tmarbury
Driver School Candidate

Default Tilt sterring wheel problem

Motionman,

I had the same issue. I purchased the tilt motor from Sewell Lexus and had a local dealer installed to ensure there would be no issues with part warranty.
Tmarb
Old 10-04-12, 07:19 AM
motionman
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tmarbury
Motionman,

I had the same issue. I purchased the tilt motor from Sewell Lexus and had a local dealer installed to ensure there would be no issues with part warranty.
Tmarb
How much did that all cost you?

MotionMan
Old 10-14-12, 10:19 PM
pcp123
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by stemirra
My thought is that I will enjoy this automatic feature until the very very first sign of any failure/coise/click whatsoever then I will go to the dealer to have the auto function disabled while there is still time to save it for manual use. Hopefully I will not be too late. Just my 2 cents. Oh one final thought. When I park the car inside my own garage which is all the time, I do not remove the key. Based on 7 days times 2 trips per day average it saved the mechanizms from having to move 728 times per year. I feel this will buy me some more time to enjoy the feature.

LASTLY, you state that it is not a good idea as you are tall and your wife is considerably less tall. BUT if you think about it, the steering wheel WILL re-establish each of your individual desired positions with the use of the memory seat function it will just not auto retract so if you can get it functional again it will conform to your desired positions individually with the memory seat button. Just an observation.
I disabled mine when it first gave signs of failure. Took it to the dealer and they wanted $80 to do it. I declined and figured out when I got home that you can just pull a fuse (driver side leg area) to achieve the same results.
Old 01-20-14, 04:47 PM
Snoman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by motionman
The steering wheel on my 2003 LS430 (115,000 miles) stopped functioning properly.

When I turn the car off, the wheel retracts normally;
When I turn on the car, the wheel does nothing;
With the manual adjustment button, I can get the wheel to come out, but it will not adjust up or down.

It does not make any noise and does not appear to be unsuccessfully "trying" - it is simply not moving.

My mechanic says it is something that only the dealer can repair (due to part availability) and that it will cost about $2,500.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

MotionMan
Your problem is different than the tilt not operating, and the gear spinning behind the cam. I have the exact same problem, tried the cam/gear issue, and it simply wasn't operating. I understand after talking with the dealer and my independent mechanic, that the motor itself has failed, in that it doesn't receive the auto-extend/retract signal, nor does the motor energize the tilt cam. The manual telescope function still works, but not the tilt function, and the motor does nothing on start up, although it does auto-retract when ignition is shut off.

I'm told the only solution is to replace the tilt/telescope motor in its entirety. Dealer quotes about $475 for the motor unit, plus labor, and I've been unable to locate a used version, as mostly the entire steering column is recycled as a unit, which includes the tilt/telescope motor.

Anyone have any ideas on sourcing the tilt/telescope motor?

Thanks!
Old 01-28-14, 10:18 PM
flyman
Driver School Candidate

I bought my part from a Toyota dealer online it cost me about $268 and I installed it myself the website is called Toyota discount parts they sale....Lexus and Toyota parts
Old 01-29-14, 12:21 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 157 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by loughery
I learn more and more here, I just decided to replace my motors and spent $200 in the Snap-On truck outside the dealership buying special tools. Why don't wives understand there are more than one kind of screwdriver? That $200 almost cost me 50% for the rest of my life!
My wife didn't understand my tool collection either until I went to her closet and pulled out the 15 pairs of black pants she has. I also explained to her that she has one pair of shoes that cost more than all my tools combined.

Haven't heard much from her about that lately.
Old 01-29-14, 02:18 PM
hms09
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a similiar problem with my 2002. In my case it was the up and down motor that failed. Parts from Sewell with our CL discount was $296. The Toyota dealer charged me $129 for labor. That's a far cry from $2500 so my suggestion is to order the parts from Sewell and get your Toyota dealer to install. Good Luck!!
Old 01-31-14, 01:04 AM
KawiLex
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We really can't turn the telescoping feature off without going to the dealer?? I assume that pulling the fuse will leave the wheel in the current position..

Question... Which fuse is the fuse to pull??? Please provide feedback or a picture. Thanks!
Old 02-03-14, 02:13 PM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I am also interested in turning off the tilt feature. It works great but I am the only one that drives the car... How does the dealer turn it off??? Thanks.
Old 02-10-14, 07:38 AM
ebolger
Rookie

Originally Posted by ebolger
I have struggled with the same problem. The consensus seems to be that the motors wear out about 125,000. I have a local Toyota shop that has a Lexus trained tech that will replace both motors (tilt and telescope) for around $1300. I think I am going to do it.
I did get done by the Toyota dealer in Lodi, CA about a year and a half ago. $1300 out the door. I am a happy camper.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel not telescoping/adjusting automatically (2003)