LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

AFS Off light flashing - Height Hi - Rear struts failed?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-12, 04:30 PM
JazzyJ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AFS Off light flashing - Height Hi - Rear struts failed?

Hello everyone,

I have a 2005 LS 430 Ultra Luxury.

Friday the AFS Off light starting flashing shortly after takeoff from my driveway. In addition, the Height Hi light came on although it was in normal mode. Both these things returned to normal after about 10 minutes.

After searching these forums, it looked to me as if it might be a bad height sensor. This happened during the day, so I could't really see if it affected the headlight aim.

Today the AFS light and Height Hi lights came on yet again, and then about two minutes later the ride became really uncomfortable. It feels as if the rear struts totally failed. Could this be the case? Is it an electronic thing, or do I have to replace the struts?

Anyone with similar problems? I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!
Old 09-17-12, 04:40 AM
JazzyJ
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JazzyJ
Hello everyone,

I have a 2005 LS 430 Ultra Luxury.

Friday the AFS Off light starting flashing shortly after takeoff from my driveway. In addition, the Height Hi light came on although it was in normal mode. Both these things returned to normal after about 10 minutes.

After searching these forums, it looked to me as if it might be a bad height sensor. This happened during the day, so I could't really see if it affected the headlight aim.

Today the AFS light and Height Hi lights came on yet again, and then about two minutes later the ride became really uncomfortable. It feels as if the rear struts totally failed. Could this be the case? Is it an electronic thing, or do I have to replace the struts?

Anyone with similar problems? I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!
Checked the headlights last night. Sure enough, they were pointed fully down.

So this morning the problem was still there. The back end is totally up in the Hi position. The suspension is hard as a rock, however, when I try to push the back end down with my body weight. (So it's not as if the suspension is at all "springy," which I would expect with a blown strut.) But the ride is just horrible.

About three minutes into the ride to work, the AFS light stopped flashing, the "Height Hi" indication disappeared, and the ride returned to its normal, wonderful self. After getting out of the car at work, the rear end was, indeed, returned to the normal position.

So it appears that this might be the sensor. How can I figure out which one is bad? Again, the problem is still intermittant. Anyone have any pictures/advice that would help me?

Thanks!!!
Old 09-17-12, 04:57 AM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

It's the sensor. Most probably rear one. You won't be able to figure which one without IT scantool/techstream.
Rear sensor fault is heard of.
Old 09-17-12, 11:26 AM
JazzyJ
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lynzoid
It's the sensor. Most probably rear one. You won't be able to figure which one without IT scantool/techstream.
Rear sensor fault is heard of.
Thanks! Any way to get access to the scantool/techstream without bringing the car in for service? This looks as if it's something I can fix myself, but I'd hate to replace a good sensor. They run about $300 or so each.
Old 09-17-12, 03:16 PM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Bit cheaper. You can disassemble the sensors carefully and clean the insides but it's only a temporary solution (helps for a month or so - but always fails after).
Any toyota shop should have applicable toyota scantool.