LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Help, please. Can't start the truck after the wrong key

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-12, 07:48 AM
lovelexus2
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, please. Can't start the truck after the wrong key

I have 02 LS430 and 04 GX470. This morning, my wife accidently took the LS key and try to start the GX, after realize it is the wrong key, she went back to tak the GX key. , well It was not working anymore.

I can't insert the key in the ignition, but can't turn on at all. I am wondering if anybody knows about this. Do I have to town the truck to Lexus ? will any lock smith can do reprogram this? I am assuming that is the proble.

very appreicate for any input. Thanks Guys.
Old 08-13-12, 08:36 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I see you also posted this in the GX forum, so I'm not going to move this thread. Maybe we can offer moral support if nothing else.

I assume she tried to use the LS key to start the GX and, upon failing, tried to use the GX key to start the GX, but it wouldn't turn. I don't think there is any security lock-out feature, but I may be wrong. Did you try jiggling the steering wheel when trying to turn the key. Can you use another key to start the GX?

I do this all the time with my various cars, as each vehicle has an oversize fob or key/fob combination plus a home alarm fob. I get in the GS or Prius, hit the button, and get the "No key detected" message. Doh!

Remember the (not so good) old days when all cars had skinny metal keys? I could keep all my car and house keys on a single ring. Most domestic cars had two keys - one for the ignition and another for the doors, trunk, & glovebox..
Old 08-13-12, 08:52 AM
lovelexus2
Rookie

Thanks Caddy.

I can't still lock and unlock the truck by the remote. but just can't turn the ignition at all. I was trying to use the flat key with the truck ( come with the service manual), also can't turn it.

I did call Lexus and ask them the opinion, one lady told me that try to lock the truck from ouside by the remote and let it sit for 5 mins, then unlock it by remote, so the system will think it is the correct key. I will have to wait until after work to try it. I hope that will solve the problem. Otherwise, I am feeling some big bucks will fly away from me.
Old 08-13-12, 09:20 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 114 Posts

i would disconnect the battery for 15 minutes then try again good luck
Old 08-13-12, 11:01 AM
lovelexus2
Rookie

That is good idea, I will give a try. thanks
Old 08-14-12, 07:55 PM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Are you using the Master Key? There will be no fix unless you have a Master.

You have to reverify with the transponder.

Last edited by damon; 08-14-12 at 07:58 PM.
Old 08-14-12, 08:04 PM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Try this.

1. Enter the car with a working pre-programmed key and close all doors.
Simultaneously depress and release both the brake and the accelerator pedals.
2. Within 5 seconds, insert the working pre-programmed key into the ignition. turn key to on but do not crank engine.
3. Within 15 seconds of inserting the ignition key, depress and release the accelerator pedal 5 times.
4. Within 20 seconds, depress and release the brake pedal 6 times.
5. Within 10 seconds, remove the working pre-programmed key from the ignition.
6. Within 10 seconds, insert the newly cut transponder key into the ignition. Turn key to on but do not crank engine.
7. Depress and release the accelerator pedal one time. The security light should now begin flashing to indicate that the computer is reading the new key and programming the system.
8. Leave the new key in the ignition for at least 60 seconds. When the security light stops flashing, the programming process should be complete
9. Start the vehicle using the new key to verify that programming was successful.
Old 08-14-12, 08:41 PM
SQuester
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^Good FAQ material right there.
Old 08-15-12, 04:58 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by damon
Try this.

1. Enter the car with a working pre-programmed key and close all doors.
Simultaneously depress and release both the brake and the accelerator pedals.
2. Within 5 seconds, insert the working pre-programmed key into the ignition. turn key to on but do not crank engine.
3. Within 15 seconds of inserting the ignition key, depress and release the accelerator pedal 5 times.
4. Within 20 seconds, depress and release the brake pedal 6 times.
5. Within 10 seconds, remove the working pre-programmed key from the ignition.
6. Within 10 seconds, insert the newly cut transponder key into the ignition. Turn key to on but do not crank engine.
7. Depress and release the accelerator pedal one time. The security light should now begin flashing to indicate that the computer is reading the new key and programming the system.
8. Leave the new key in the ignition for at least 60 seconds. When the security light stops flashing, the programming process should be complete
9. Start the vehicle using the new key to verify that programming was successful.
You forgot to add that this only works if all you have on inside the car is a pair of red plastic flip flops and a green wool sock cap.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 08-15-12 at 05:01 AM.
Old 08-15-12, 04:58 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

^^
This sounds like some type of pagan ritual. All that's missing is the clove of garlic on the rearview mirror.
Old 08-15-12, 08:15 AM
lovelexus2
Rookie

Guys, thanks so much for all the great input. Just before I was ready to give up. Gonna call the towing and get it to the dealer, then I thought I gonna try one last thing, so i went to bought some graphite grease, and put into the ignition. After couple try, I gotta it work. woo, what a feeling. $4 fixed Hundreds of dollor proble( according to dealer when I called them yesterday, dealer advise they will need to open up the tumbler and check the whole thing, maybe change the ignitions and new keys) .

anyway, saved some money, and i am ready to go ahead.

Thanks again for everybody who is trying to help. Great advise from everybody.

Last edited by lovelexus2; 08-15-12 at 08:19 AM.
Old 08-15-12, 01:39 PM
lovelexus2
Rookie

locksmithy, thanks for your input, that is good to know. so you think we should use Lithium paste grease instead of Graphite grease?
from your message, if I want to make a new key, then it will cause problem if using the new key, correcT?
Old 08-20-12, 09:03 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Originally Posted by Locksmithy
... For door and trunk locks, considering locks already have lithium grease, dirt, graphite, magnesium chloride, salt and other contaminants, I recommend going to a locksmith shop, and buying a can of HOUDINI lubricant. It will thin down and/or wash out what is built up in the lock. This will take care of minor thickening of grease and contaminants, but not a total miracle if lock is a solid barnacle, as will happen in any coastal area.
Thanks for the product suggestion.