LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Doors creaks are driving me nuts!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-12, 05:33 PM
toyo
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Doors creaks are driving me nuts!

For the life of me I can't figure out why this is doing such a thing. When the windows are rolled up all the way the doors make a creaking noise when ever you drive over non smooth pavement. It's all of them! If you push on the top of the door panel I can duplicate the noise. I sure do not feel like pulling off each of these door panels to see what's going on. Any other suggestions?
Old 08-12-12, 05:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,555 Likes on 1,842 Posts

Have you tried cleaning and treating the window weatherstripping?

Get a good vinyl cleaner, and clean out the weatherstripping really well and treat it with something like 303 Aerospace Protectant. Be sure to clean the edges of the glass really well too. Do the same to all the door weatherstripping as well, and clean and wax the area of the door that sets up against the weatherstripping.

I bet that solves your problem.
The following users liked this post:
caesosa (09-02-20)
Old 08-12-12, 05:39 PM
toyo
Intermediate

1st thing I thought about. I have some lube left over that BMW sales that is made for the gaskets on there convertibles. Left over from my M3 I sold a few months back.
Old 08-12-12, 06:01 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Do a search on Sonus or Shin Etsu grease for suggestions on what to buy and where to apply it. The key place to apply it is the wide, flat strip at the top of the door. It doesn't look like a gasket, but it is.
Old 08-12-12, 06:33 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Weatherstipping needs to be lubricated. Common problem.
Old 08-12-12, 06:38 PM
sajack
Intermediate

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Use talc powder.
Old 08-12-12, 08:16 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I had the same problem and solved it! I posted a writeup in this forum.
Old 08-13-12, 03:29 AM
LEX ES300
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Same problem on my Australian Spec 2004 LS430.

I bought some Shin-Etsu grease from a Honda Dealer and rolled down the windows and applied it to the rubber seals. Make sure you do up under where the top of the window sits and not just the sides becuase its easy to miss. Some creaking was still there but I don't think I applied enough so a few days later I reapplied some more and also put some armour all on there.

It has now been quiet for about 2 months.
Old 08-13-12, 04:22 PM
toyo
Intermediate

I will re-apply and see what happens. Thanks for the tips.
Old 08-13-12, 07:40 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been using some good ol WD-40 to quiet mine down. Used petroleum jelly before that (which I found out afterwards breaks the rubber down) and it quieted it for like a yr and a half but I wouldn't apply it again. WD-40 has kept it quiet for a few weeks now so i think it could be an easy solution. Don't be afraid to use an excessive amt. as others have stated.
Old 08-14-12, 06:25 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Shin etsu grease FTW^10
Old 08-14-12, 06:32 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Btw- try just putting it on the top rubber seal of the door, where it meets the body, that seems to be 99% of the culprit. It may seem that the creak is in the window channel itself, because the creak goes away when you crack the window, but at least in my case, it was actually the door to body seal that was the culprit. I say to try the top seal first because no matter how well you try to clean the seal of leftover product in the window channel, some WILL remain and it will deposit itself on the window and leave horizontal lines where the seal meets the glass at the various points of where you lower the window down to. Just my experience. But trust me on the shin etsu grease. It lasts a long time! And a tube will last you forever. By it don't chase your tail with this problem. Many of us have been there and it makes you want to tear your hair out! Especially during the cold months.
Old 08-14-12, 08:39 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuy89
I've been using some good ol WD-40 to quiet mine down. Used petroleum jelly before that (which I found out afterwards breaks the rubber down) and it quieted it for like a yr and a half but I wouldn't apply it again. WD-40 has kept it quiet for a few weeks now so i think it could be an easy solution. Don't be afraid to use an excessive amt. as others have stated.
I don't think WD-40 is a good solution due to the smell if nothing else. Then again, with your medical specialty your olfactory system has probably been forever compromised.

Last edited by caddyowner; 08-14-12 at 08:44 AM.
Old 08-14-12, 02:37 PM
bcorey
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

another thing you can try is to simply lower your window a fraction - I'm talking about hitting your window button as lightly/quickly as you can - this moves the window off the seal ~ millimeter i'm guessing - the creak goes away completely - the movement in the window is so slight that I cannot tell the difference in wind noise between this setting and completely rolled up - I use this whenever I drive and the creaking sets in - I've tried the various recommended lubes on here and they work however it's always temporary -
Old 08-14-12, 08:05 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

It's the flat channel on the top of the door that makes the noise. Clean it off with a damp rag, then apply a seal/rubber conditioner (should last a few months or longer). Let it absorb and wipe off the excess. DO NOT use silicon. I tried it and it made it creak 10 times worse!

Quick Reply: Doors creaks are driving me nuts!