LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Doors creaks are driving me nuts!

Old 06-22-13, 02:26 PM
irishbrahm
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

I was having a problem with the driver's door creaking when driving slowly over bumps and on non-smooth pavement (like the OP). The Honda Shin-Etsu grease fixed the problem. That was $15 well spent!
Old 06-22-13, 03:39 PM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the cars are sealed to make them quiet as the rubber gets older they squeak
lexus uses a silicon spray if you spray the seals it will help mine needs to be done every other week
price you pay for driving this beauty of a car as they get older
i like the 10k price point for a 80 k replacement
Old 06-25-13, 04:37 PM
Wiley9
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I almost never lower my windows and my weatherstripping was starting to turn white. So, I thought some armor all would do the trick. Bad decision. The squeaks and creaks from the plastic meeting the glass drove me nuts! Fortunately had a regular maintenance appointment already scheduled at the dealer. Told my service tech what was driving me nuts and how it happened. Dealer rubbed down the weatherstripping with silicone lube for free. Squeaks and creaks are gone and I'm now sane again.
Old 06-26-13, 10:41 AM
anthony430
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also used the Shin-Etsu grease over a year ago on the top of my door frames... no creaking since.
Old 12-10-14, 03:22 PM
irishbrahm
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jim_Chow
It's the flat channel on the top of the door that makes the noise. Clean it off with a damp rag, then apply a seal/rubber conditioner (should last a few months or longer). Let it absorb and wipe off the excess. DO NOT use silicon. I tried it and it made it creak 10 times worse!
Thanks so much for the advice! I've been trying to get rid of the window creak on my front passenger door for months. So I cleaned the flat channel as you instructed and applied shin etsu there and to the rubber that makes contact with the body. The creaking is gone! Wow, it's great driving a quiet car!
Old 12-10-14, 08:46 PM
FlaPhil
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My driver's door window creaks incessantly. It's driving me nuts.

It appears to be the glass rubbing against the window surround. I have cleaned and Shin-Etsu'd the area to death but no joy... just creak, moan, groan....

The only cure is to slightly crack the window - and I mean just about hit the power button - and the creaking stops immediately. Then I get wind noise above 30mph.

Does anyone have any suggestions? PLEASE!!!
Old 12-11-14, 06:47 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by FlaPhil
My driver's door window creaks incessantly. It's driving me nuts.

It appears to be the glass rubbing against the window surround. I have cleaned and Shin-Etsu'd the area to death but no joy... just creak, moan, groan....

The only cure is to slightly crack the window - and I mean just about hit the power button - and the creaking stops immediately. Then I get wind noise above 30mph.

Does anyone have any suggestions? PLEASE!!!
The creaking may be coming from the underside of the weather strip - where it rubs on the metal window/door frame. Try squirting silicone spray (in areosol can) in the crack between the weather strip and the metal door frame. Alternative: carefully remove window weather strip and apply Shin Et Su to the part of the weather strip that rubs on the door frame.
Old 12-11-14, 07:38 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

+1. Grab a bottle of Shin Et Su off Amazon and treat all your weather stripping on your vehicles.
Old 12-11-14, 08:37 AM
irishbrahm
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
+1. Grab a bottle of Shin Et Su off Amazon and treat all your weather stripping on your vehicles.
I also forgot to mention that I add Shin Etsu to the rubber that makes contact with the window.
Old 12-11-14, 10:11 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by irishbrahm
I also forgot to mention that I add Shin Etsu to the rubber that makes contact with the window.
Excellent point. Especially if you have window tint. Rub that stuff all over the track to prevent binding and reduce stress on the motor.
Old 01-04-15, 04:50 PM
FlaPhil
Pit Crew

Today, I finally had a chance to really spend some time tracking down the source of the driver's door creaks that have been ruining my enjoyment of my beautiful car.

Once more I ShinEtsu'd all the seals, including the main door seals, the window seals, even the edges of the window (!).

Didn't fix it.

Then, trying to find the source, I hit the door frame above the driver entry where the seals contact, i.e. the actual paintwork. Hey, I was desperate. But nope, as soon as the car moved, creak, creak, friggin creak. Lowering the window a f-r-a-c-t-i-o-n cured it. So, it HAD to be the window seals, right?

I got an old credit card, wrapped it in a cloth, applied ShinEtsu along the wrapped edge and inserted it inside the window channels. The cloth came out pretty dirty and when I was done the channel was silky smooth so I was confident that would fix it.

Nope. CREAK, CREAK, CREAK. You gotta be kidding me. So, I opened the door as I was driving and the creaking stopped. Hmmm.

So, I re-applied S.E. to the door seals again and, as I was applying to the main seal that runs down the exposed side of the drivers door when it's open, I noticed that the seal creaked as I rubbed it. Ah-ha! Using the credit card, I applied ShinEtsu BEHIND the seal, where it contacts the painted surface to which it is stuck. This had to be it... surely....

I started the car, backed out of my driveway, there was one final loud creak and then nothing, absence of noise, SILENCE.... YES!

I drove a short distance and then noticed a creak again... oh FFS.... but, glory of glory, it was the passenger door this time. I hadn't heard it previously because the driver's door creak was so loud.

Got home, applied ShinEtsu in exactly the same spot - yes, that seal creaked as I was lubricating it too. I jumped back in the car, pulled out, and........ ahhhhh, silence... until, you guessed it, the rear passenger door started up. Fixed it the same way and now, silence - sweet, complete and total silence! What a joy.

So, although by all logic the problem seemed to be coming from the window seal since the creak went away when I cracked the window, it had nothing to do with that. I will post a photo tomorrow of the exact area that needed the treatment.

All I have to do now is remove the excess ShinEtsu but that's a job I'm more than willing to do.

Thanks guys for all the great info. Sanity restored.

Last edited by FlaPhil; 01-05-15 at 06:28 PM.
Old 01-04-15, 07:04 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Pic of where exactly? FlaPhil..
Old 01-04-15, 07:37 PM
FlaPhil
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by tHeKiNg911
Pic of where exactly? FlaPhil..
The exact area that needed lubricating.
Old 01-05-15, 06:51 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by FlaPhil
The exact area that needed lubricating.
i think thats what he wants to know.
Old 01-05-15, 08:55 AM
FlaPhil
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jimbosr1
i think thats what he wants to know.
Yeah, I know, but I had just said I would post pictures in the morning so it was kinda redundant to immediately ask. Anyway, pictures below show the area that needed the grease on my car. May not be the same area that another car would need. But the key for me was to grease BEHIND the seal.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Doors creaks are driving me nuts!