LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Dead Mark Levinson amp on 04 LS430 - any other options?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-13, 08:55 PM
ddmavis
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DocDenver
Interesting question - how "good" is the sound of the ML? I've been listening for about 4 months now - my thoughts:

CLASSICAL MUSIC through the ML is really the best I've ever heard - and I can easily tell the difference between a really good classical CD and a merely good one. It has really opened my eyes up to classical music and a great de-stress after work.

JAZZ - Good, but I don't know enough to really know much difference. Sounds good for the instrumentals, tho.

POP/ROCK - Really doesn't do as much for me as my age-old aftermarket in my old Bimmer with a cheap power amp and a couple of 6-inch subwoofers. That thing had a great thump, a couple of nice tweeters, and was great. Not much "detail" maybe, but lots of "pow." ML seems a bit slack in the "pow" department.

SIRIUS - I got the VAIS system aftermarket and put it in - - it works well in terms of using the NAV screen - but it just doesn't sound as crisp or clear as the CD player at all. Nor does it sound as good as some of the XM radios I've heard in some new cars I've rented with built-in XM. Kind of stinks, since I am very lazy and liked someone playing music for me...
My 1996 LS400 had Nakamichi (got broad sided and totaled car); replaced with 2001 LS430 with Mark Levinson audio. I would pay the price of an OEM Nakamichi from Lexus to replace the ML audio in my LS430. At 33K mi the subwoofer blew and I do not play loud music. In the last couple years both front speakers have been replaced. Nakamichi sound wins hands down for me. I now have a DC level going to my right front door speaker; thumps when car is turned off. Took off door panel and can see the speaker cone move when car is turned on and radio is off. Trying to find someone who can repair it so I don't have to spend big $$$ at Lexus.
Old 07-06-13, 07:31 AM
Lac
Driver

Originally Posted by ddmavis
My 1996 LS400 had Nakamichi (got broad sided and totaled car); replaced with 2001 LS430 with Mark Levinson audio. I would pay the price of an OEM Nakamichi from Lexus to replace the ML audio in my LS430. At 33K mi the subwoofer blew and I do not play loud music. In the last couple years both front speakers have been replaced. Nakamichi sound wins hands down for me. I now have a DC level going to my right front door speaker; thumps when car is turned off. Took off door panel and can see the speaker cone move when car is turned on and radio is off. Trying to find someone who can repair it so I don't have to spend big $$$ at Lexus.
Agree! My original Nakamichi amp and sub on my '91 LS400 with over 300K miles are still working.
Old 07-09-13, 06:54 PM
Oldguys
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cheap Fix

I called Mark Levinson.
They directed me to a local repair center.
I pulled the unit out of the trunk wrapped it up real nice and sent it in.
For $400 they fixed it and mailed it back.
Then something else popped within 10 minutes of re- installation so I mailed it back to the same place and they fixed it for free and mailed it back.
It's been running like a champ for a year now.
I thought they did an excellent job and were very helpful all the way around.
Taking the amp out wasn't all that difficult so I would not take it to Lexus unless you don't mind throwing your money away for something a kid could fix (at least a kid from the 80's or later).
Old 07-09-13, 08:10 PM
ddmavis
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Oldguys
I called Mark Levinson.
Then something else popped within 10 minutes of re- installation so I mailed it back to the same place and they fixed it for free and mailed it back.
Taking the amp out wasn't all that difficult so I would not take it to Lexus unless you don't mind throwing your money away for something a kid could fix (at least a kid from the 80's or later).
Oldguys,
Glad you got yours fixed. I didn't see what year your Lexus is. I found a repair place in CA that would repair and return; however I took one more search on eBay for a replacement. I ran across someone who explained the 2001 and 2002 LS430 ML amps were defective and Lexus had a new model for 2003 and on. They changed the model number from ...40 to ...41, which explains my difficulty in finding one with my model number. He claims to be an expert on ML systems for Lexus and has brand new factory ...41 amps for sale. Offers a 30-day money back guaranty and 4yr warranty on the amp. Not sure how an individual can do that, but if it works as advertised it is better than fixing a defective unit. It is on the way with free shipping and has ebay protection, so I am not worried about being taken. I will post the results when I get it installed.
Old 07-10-13, 02:46 PM
fensterlip
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ddmavis
Oldguys,
Glad you got yours fixed. I didn't see what year your Lexus is. I found a repair place in CA that would repair and return; however I took one more search on eBay for a replacement. I ran across someone who explained the 2001 and 2002 LS430 ML amps were defective and Lexus had a new model for 2003 and on. They changed the model number from ...40 to ...41, which explains my difficulty in finding one with my model number. He claims to be an expert on ML systems for Lexus and has brand new factory ...41 amps for sale. Offers a 30-day money back guaranty and 4yr warranty on the amp. Not sure how an individual can do that, but if it works as advertised it is better than fixing a defective unit. It is on the way with free shipping and has ebay protection, so I am not worried about being taken. I will post the results when I get it installed.
Can you share who you used for this? If he knows the ML stuff that well I think we should keep his name on our list of better stuff. Thanks
Old 07-13-13, 05:16 AM
ddmavis
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by fensterlip
Can you share who you used for this? If he knows the ML stuff that well I think we should keep his name on our list of better stuff. Thanks
On vacation right now. Will post source and results after I receive and install amp and evaluate everything.
Old 07-16-13, 03:26 PM
Oldguys
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fixed

My car is a 2006 and has almost 200K on the clock. Runs like a champ including the rebuilt amp.
Old 07-17-13, 02:46 PM
ddmavis
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by fensterlip
I received the ML amp from "egusman" on eBay for $625. It works as advertised and fixed my RF Spkr "thump" problem. He has more of these amps for sale for $698 but will take offer of $625. He gave me a warranty number for the advertised 4yr warranty. Hopefully I won't have to use it. It has warranty seals on the amp, but cannot tell if they are factory or not. I'm just thankfull I can finally put my trunk back together. I will provide updates after Amp has been in service for awhile.
Old 07-17-13, 08:42 PM
Viper6
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Anyone have a broken 04 or later ML Amp they are willing to part with... I like to tinker
Old 03-22-14, 11:41 AM
bblair3094
3rd Gear

I looked for a cheaper alternative to replacing my Mark Levinson amp and could find none. I removed my amp and sent it to United Radio in Syracuse NY. The amp was repaired for a flat fee of $450. I sent the amp on Sunday and had it back on the following Friday. When I called United Radio I did not have my call answered by a computer or someone who I could not understand on the phone. A polite, English speaking American answered the phone on the first ring. A technician called me to ask me a few questions and offer me some advice regarding speakers while he was completing the repair to my amp. Again, the technician was a polite English speaking American. Excellent quality work for exactly the repair I needed. I strongly recommend United Radio, the are a class act. Go to ***********.com and print out the form needed to send in your amp for repair. Great experience.
Old 03-22-14, 02:22 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by bblair3094
I looked for a cheaper alternative to replacing my Mark Levinson amp and could find none. I removed my amp and sent it to United Radio in Syracuse NY. The amp was repaired for a flat fee of $450. I sent the amp on Sunday and had it back on the following Friday. When I called United Radio I did not have my call answered by a computer or someone who I could not understand on the phone. A polite, English speaking American answered the phone on the first ring. A technician called me to ask me a few questions and offer me some advice regarding speakers while he was completing the repair to my amp. Again, the technician was a polite English speaking American. Excellent quality work for exactly the repair I needed. I strongly recommend United Radio, the are a class act. Go to ***********.com and print out the form needed to send in your amp for repair. Great experience.
Out of curiosity, what advice to you get regarding speakers?
Old 03-22-14, 06:40 PM
RushNatU
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Although the ML system does sound good at low to medium volumes, it's still got crappy paper speakers that look like they belong in an early 90s Hyundai. The horn loaded tweeters on the dash are the only redeeming quality. The Polk audio system I built for my Maxima absolutely destroys it and I paid a total of $1500 for the Kenwood DVD NAV touch screen head unit, top of the line front 6.5" components and rear 6.5" coaxial pair with two 500w 4 ch Kicker amps bridged to two channels each running the fronts and backs. Two 12" Polk DSi subs with 1000w Hifonics amp and a Kinetik 2400 battery (extra $220). Paying that much for a stupid factory ML amp is asinine. You can do much better. My neighbors hate me lol!

Last edited by RushNatU; 03-22-14 at 07:07 PM.
Old 10-18-15, 06:32 PM
bankertim
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
Are these amps failing on their own or after speakers were replaced with aftermarket? I had read a number of posts mentioning that aftermarket speakers were a culprit with many amp failures. Just curious.

My 2001 LS430 ML radio/cd sound unpredictably and intermittently goes on and off. All system components are original. Working more often recently...only thing different is outside temp.
Old 10-18-15, 07:43 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by bankertim
My 2001 LS430 ML radio/cd sound unpredictably and intermittently goes on and off. All system components are original. Working more often recently...only thing different is outside temp.
Any water getting into your trunk?
Old 07-15-16, 06:58 PM
Quipper
Driver

Originally Posted by Oldguys
I called Mark Levinson.
I saw that you asked earlier in the thread how to determine if it was the amp at fault. Didn't see anyone answer that query. How did you conclude that the amp was to blame?

I heard a loud knocking sound in my 2004 LS UL coming from my front door area on two consecutive days. Then the audio ceased working (even beeps from turning up or down AC degrees). So I'm wondering what's wrong too and don't want to just assume it's the amp if there's a different or additional problem (such as a short somewhere).

Quick Reply: Dead Mark Levinson amp on 04 LS430 - any other options?