LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Still can't figure out this noise

Old 07-03-14, 05:17 AM
sscheuri
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Experiencing this as well

Had my transmission serviced about two weeks ago (drain and fill only - thanks contributors of ClubLexus!).

Now I am hearing a metallic ringing much like what is on the video. However:
1. I am not hearing it inside the car.
2. I can only hear it when all of the following are true:
a. Car starts cold.
b. Car is in gear other than Park.
3. After about a 25 minute drive, the sound is gone.

Here is the sound:

My thinking is a heat shield but these other comments about motor and transmission mounts got me thinking differently as well.
Any other ideas?
Old 07-03-14, 05:33 AM
ginessls43
Driver School Candidate

Definently related to the AC system as I have the same noise, and it is only present with AC on..
Old 07-03-14, 05:57 AM
sscheuri
Driver School Candidate

Default Will test that today

I don't believe my AC is on when I turn on the car (because I always turn it off before I turn the car off - my wife is a different story).
I will check that condition today. Thanks
Old 07-03-14, 08:13 AM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I seriously doubt that is A/C related. Sounds very similar to the noise that STILL persists in my car after 3-4 years of trying to diagnose it. Unlike yours though, mine occurs unrelated to engine temperature and/or duration of drive. I can only really hear my noise while the car is driving. I can detect a slight noise around 2000rpm while in park or neutral, but not anywhere near like when I am driving.

On one occasion recently I started the car (at full operating temp) and my noise immediately exploded into a very loud awful clanking sound emanating from under the car near the transmission area, as if I had a tin can loose and bouncing around inside the exhaust pipe. It worsened as I revved the motor. I put it in drive and moved the car about thirty feet before putting it back in park and shutting off the motor. After a few seconds I started it up again and it was quiet, hasn't happened like that again since, and that was about six months ago I think. F'ing perplexed.
Old 07-03-14, 02:20 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ancdmd
I seriously doubt that is A/C related. Sounds very similar to the noise that STILL persists in my car after 3-4 years of trying to diagnose it. Unlike yours though, mine occurs unrelated to engine temperature and/or duration of drive. I can only really hear my noise while the car is driving. I can detect a slight noise around 2000rpm while in park or neutral, but not anywhere near like when I am driving.

On one occasion recently I started the car (at full operating temp) and my noise immediately exploded into a very loud awful clanking sound emanating from under the car near the transmission area, as if I had a tin can loose and bouncing around inside the exhaust pipe. It worsened as I revved the motor. I put it in drive and moved the car about thirty feet before putting it back in park and shutting off the motor. After a few seconds I started it up again and it was quiet, hasn't happened like that again since, and that was about six months ago I think. F'ing perplexed.
Have your exhaust heat shields inspected. Had a similar sound not too long ago.
Old 07-03-14, 02:51 PM
L8RSk8R
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Object bouncing around, in the transmission bell housing.
Old 07-03-14, 05:35 PM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hi i believe its the servos in the ac system that there are two
i have the same issue when there failing they sound like that, i didnt do them for cost and they have to remove dash each part is around a couple hundred dollars
i don't know that it is the issue 100% but sounds like its the servo motors
Old 07-03-14, 06:12 PM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i take back my remarks i saw the video from interior by ac duct
underneath is a whole other ball game
check the catalytic converters?
Old 07-03-14, 06:30 PM
L8RSk8R
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Get one of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/110919395652?lpid=82Poke around
Old 07-04-14, 04:33 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
Have your exhaust heat shields inspected. Had a similar sound not too long ago.
First thing I did years ago was remove the heat shields from the y-pipe. Even replaced the y-pipe, didn't help.
Old 07-04-14, 04:35 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ls430lover
i take back my remarks i saw the video from interior by ac duct
underneath is a whole other ball game
check the catalytic converters?
Checked cats when I replaced the y-pipe, they are good. I did buy a stethoscope and checked everything under that car while it was running and couldn't determine that anything was amiss.
Old 07-06-14, 01:59 AM
RushNatU
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I had a metallic sound coming from an exhaust clamp that had broke and was rattling on the pipe. It was not for a heat shield but to hold the two pipes together. Right in line with the drivers door...
Old 07-07-14, 08:46 AM
sscheuri
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks

Have heard some great suggestions here. To sum up my symptoms to date:
1. Heard during cold start and in reverse, neutral, forward gears.
2. Louder in reverse and forward gears.
3. Goes away after car has warmed up.
4. AC on or off does not affect sound. I do not hear the sound through the AC vents at all.

And I have heard these solutions:
1. heatshields - check to ensure they are attached securely.
2. exhaust pipe brackets that have cracked or otherwise not connected properly. Could these have been touched during a transmission drain and fill service?
3. something could be loose in the transmission bell housing.
4. get an automotive stethoscope.

Thoughts on level of damage occurring:
1. If a loose piece of metal was bouncing around in the transmission bell housing, I think the car would not be driving.
2. Pipe brackets - some exhaust escapes to the atmosphere before going to the cats. Oh well.
3. Heatshields - extra warm in some area of the car I have not discovered yet.
In summary - not significantly impacting the car right now.

I have a friend who has a lift in his garage so hopefully I can get over there next weekend to check it out. I appreciate all the suggestions and will report back as I learn more.

To the original poster - thanks for starting this thread and hopefully something "new" for you to examine is coming of it. Similar sounds but we are hearing it in different parts of the car. Mine is 2001 Ultra Luxury with 114k miles.
Old 07-07-14, 09:17 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

I would definitely check the level of the transmission fluid. Did a dealer do the service? I don't trust most shops to perform this procedure correctly. Even though the 01 is much easier it can still be done wrong. Did you check your fluid level after the transmission has been driven for a while and parked and perfectly flat ground? What type of fluid was used?
Old 07-07-14, 10:52 AM
sscheuri
Driver School Candidate

I used a local shop (Curry's Automotive) and supplied them with three quarts of the correct Toyota fluid. I don't believe the trans fluid had been changed fro 13 years. At my specification, they replaced the transmission filter and did a drain and fill. They said the drained out six quarts. I was initially surprised but have since read on these forums that is normal if a long drain period is observed. Obviously they supplanted what I provided with three quarts from another fluid which I can inquire about.
I actually checked it yesterday, but that was after I started the car and briefly moved it to non-level ground and back to level. I will recheck the fluid level. IIRC, and not having my manual handy, the fluid level should be between the two tick marks on the dip stick. Correct?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Still can't figure out this noise