LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Need Inspection in Austin, Texas -- and Shipping?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-12, 08:51 PM
DocDenver
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ha! You should be a therapist! Very nice, very nice -- that makes me feel better. Actually, I had just gone to the photos again and was looking at them remembering how much I liked the way it looks. Yes, the white is nice, but I do indeed like the gold. As I said, I tend to get neurotic about these things.

I agree with the tires, mats, detailing, and all. I've always skimped on tires, but the last set I got for my Maxima, I just bought some nice ones that I liked -- and I'll be darned if I don't get a bit happy looking at them every time I walk to my car. Also funny, I just ordered a new set of mats for that car so I can get it in shape to pass on to the wife. (Hey, she just got a new kitchen, and I did a lot of the work on it for the past 20 weekends. Fair is fair!) Those things do make a big difference to me as well. Did you get new factory mats, or after-market?

Anyway, you hit on all the reasons I got this car, once I started test-driving them, I found I just FEEL great behind the wheel. Turn on that stereo, cruise down the highway, and it's fantastic.

Thanks again for that reply!
Old 04-18-12, 08:13 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Get the OEM mats. Don't make the car look cheap by trying a save a few bucks. Makes all the difference in the world in the appearance of the car.
Old 04-18-12, 11:32 AM
DocDenver
Driver School Candidate

I hear you, thanks. I don't think they are all that expensive anyways...
Old 04-18-12, 04:11 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

these cars are amazing,just think what you can drive for the price of a loaded chevy cruze!
Old 04-18-12, 04:54 PM
DocDenver
Driver School Candidate

Ah, yes, music to my ears!!!

Update: found a VERY low miles white 05 here in Denver (thx Ok66)-- but am already 2/3 across the creek with the gold one in Austin -- and I just feel its the car for me, so I signed all the papers and will drop in FedEx in a few minutes.

Pickup scheduled for Friday - estimated delivery on Tuesday. Not gonna get too excited it will be here on time, but I have a good feeling about it.

Also found that a Lexus warranty is available (assuming the car passes a safety inspection; thanks vinodc) - the price is $4,000 for 5 yrs/60k with rental reimbursement and no deduct able.

That compares with a third-party 5yr/75k policy for $2100 from the Jeep dealer. $100 deductable/visit, includes towing and rental car.

The Lexus dealer in town is partial to the Lexus warranty--says it reimburses quicker and more consistently than the third party policy -- but really? 4 grand?

Still not sure about either of these -- there seems to be a lot of strong opinions about these policies but not a lot of claims experience on the forum. Really, how likely is it that there will be a repair over $2k that is covered??(doesn't cover brake discs, pads, catconverters, belts, non-metallic hoses, etc)
Old 04-18-12, 06:12 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

4 grand for a warranty?i have a cpo car and havent used any of it yet
these cars a rock solid if you take care of them.if i were buying a used one that had a good history i wouldnt buy a warranty.
Old 04-18-12, 07:56 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I think Costco now sells car warranties - get a quote from them. Also your insurance company likely sells warranties check with them - both sources likely lower cost than others.
Old 04-18-12, 08:17 PM
vinodc
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Docdenver.........did you call the dealer I mentioned? Because thats 1k more than what I paid...
Old 04-18-12, 10:39 PM
DocDenver
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone!! I am loving the support. Even PRE-ls it's good. Definitely reconsidering warranties. I assume by now there may be used parts for any really big items... Vinodc was yours over 50k? Apparently a big price jump at that mileage... Didn't yet, but will call your guy in AM. Thanks sgain everyone CAN'T WAIT
Old 04-19-12, 06:31 AM
alredxiii
Lexus Champion

Default warranty

4k for a warranty???.I am glad i purchased a cpo for just over 1k of its value.3 years and up to 100k miles from 57600 that the car had!!!!
Old 04-19-12, 08:02 AM
DocDenver
Driver School Candidate

Agreed. Makes that CPO premium seem way more reasonable
Old 04-19-12, 08:20 AM
vinodc
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey Docdenver, no my car only had 32k miles on it. I believe it goes in intervals. 0-30k. 30k-50k. and up. I just missed the cutoff for the 30k and under, I would have saved another $500.
Old 04-19-12, 02:46 PM
DocDenver
Driver School Candidate

Wow that's low miles! Awesome!

I am told it would be $700 less from Lexus if it was under 50k.

I called another Lexus dealer (thanks vinod
Old 04-19-12, 02:58 PM
DocDenver
Driver School Candidate

) and the price was $3700, still high but better than $4200. The original dealer grumbled but agreed to meet the price. Will decide after I see the car and mill it over. The Lexus dealer was across town but they are building a new one just a few miles from my home so I may go for it. Can be transferred so that should help resale if it comes to that.

Dealer has signed paperwork, transport driver says he'll pick up maņana and have it here Monday or Tuesday. He says he does a lot of transporting of sight-unseen car purchases and 99% of the time people are happy about the cars. eBay and these online resources seem to be changing the way we buy cars...

Question: regarding routine maintenance - how many have it done at a Lexus dealer and how many get it done at a local mechanic shop? Is it more expensive at Lexus dealers? Is it worth it? I would say I've been VERY impressed with the quality of service over the phone. These guys are smart, nice, responsive -- and I guess one has to pay for that. I'm thinking I will - but it will take a while to get used to $600-1200 every 15k miles..
Old 04-19-12, 03:31 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

alot of us do our own oil changes and plugs and the like.you will save a ton of cash if you do your own stuff,isnt hard at all.look at the do it your self threads.

Quick Reply: Need Inspection in Austin, Texas -- and Shipping?