LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

ML subwoofer replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-12, 01:23 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ML subwoofer replacement

So I finally got an 04 LS430 with ML. The sub is blown. It still puts out bass but it sounds terrible.

Has anyone found a suitable 16 OHM replacement for the ML subwoofer in the LS430? Has the OEM woofer been improved if I were to buy another one? I have a source that can get me a brand new ML OEM sub for about cost.

I'm afraid that if I install another ML sub, it will just blow again if they are built the same way. Clearly they were defective in design.
Old 04-03-12, 07:26 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ITs not 16 ohms, its actually 12. I think all of your questions I have answered in this thread as have others. The good news is there are FAR better subs out there that you can and should replace your Levinson sub with and they also just happen to be much, much cheaper

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...to-come-2.html
Old 04-04-12, 05:49 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

I did search and all I'm seeing is that people have either replaced the entire system or they have foamed the ML sub. I see a link to a sub that is inexpensive, but its not the right ohm rating.
Old 04-04-12, 06:05 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by miniz
I did search and all I'm seeing is that people have either replaced the entire system or they have foamed the ML sub. I see a link to a sub that is inexpensive, but its not the right ohm rating.
I too did much research before I eventually went the refoam route almost 2 years ago. For the most part the highest percentage of the subwoofer problems are foam disintegration related. I blast my radio constantly and have not had a problem yet. The biggest cost was of course the labor for rear seat removal and a few bucks to refoam the speaker.

Last edited by Bocatrip; 04-04-12 at 09:06 PM.
Old 04-04-12, 07:17 PM
Muti007
Advanced

You are going with incorrect information. If you're not interested in learning the actual ohm rating of the oem sub and do not want a replacement for it that is of better quality and fits perfectly, maybe you shouldn't ask for help. If all you want is for someone to reaffirm your incorrect information, you're in the wrong place. My apologies for answering all of your questions, giving you a direct link to a sub to help you order and for correcting your incorrect understanding that the oem sub runs at 16ohm. It won't happen again.
Old 04-05-12, 04:29 PM
GR6RR
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ 007... sorry ..

this is a time you could use this...

Old 04-05-12, 04:30 PM
GR6RR
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

BTW, I came in here looking for more info as requested by the OP. Thanks for the link.
Old 04-05-12, 06:50 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Muti007
You are going with incorrect information. If you're not interested in learning the actual ohm rating of the oem sub and do not want a replacement for it that is of better quality and fits perfectly, maybe you shouldn't ask for help. If all you want is for someone to reaffirm your incorrect information, you're in the wrong place. My apologies for answering all of your questions, giving you a direct link to a sub to help you order and for correcting your incorrect understanding that the oem sub runs at 16ohm. It won't happen again.
Did you even read what I wrote?

The link you gave me bring to 100's of pages of garbage about re-foaming the subwoofer or sticking a sub with a 8 ohm rating into a system that was designed for a 12.
Old 04-06-12, 09:57 AM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The link you gave me bring to 100's of pages of garbage about re-foaming the subwoofer or sticking a sub with a 8 ohm rating into a system that was designed for a 12.
I don't get what you want from us (CL). We gave you choises on replasing the sub: either buy one ML from the dealer for $400+ or get an aftermarket one much cheaper but a little lower ohm rating which has minimal strain on a stock ML sub which is going to run on.

So, what do you want from us?
Old 04-24-12, 12:18 AM
Muti007
Advanced

The link I gave you, the very first post, at the very top, tells you everything you need to know. The link I have there also takes you directly to an ordering page for the sub which is also on sale. I will not answer any more of your stupid questions because I and others have already done so over and over again and youre either illiterate or drunk. Rather than thank anyone for giving you EXACTLY the info you need, your attitude gets worse and worse, you act as if you have overpayed for our services and not gotten what you thought you were getting and are now an irate customer. In actuality, the info is free, we all did the research for you and provided it to you as quickly, friendly and easily as we could, then tried to re explain when you seemed confused for some reason only God could understand at this point because I sure as hell dont.

So do us all a favor, dont ask us for our help anymore as frankly, you dont deserve it, arent thankful for it, have no manners whatsoever, and dont even know what to do with it. Drop your car off at the dealer, pay the $400ish for the piece of junk original sub + labor and be done with it. Forums like this are not for guys like you, dealerships are. Its guys like you that keep them in business, and if this thread is any indication, rightfully so.
Old 05-15-12, 03:10 AM
Davidq
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the info/link Muti007, 50$ shipped for a good replacement subwoofer is a steal! will buy one right now
Old 05-15-12, 12:29 PM
Frankg2
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Muti007
The link I gave you, the very first post, at the very top, tells you everything you need to know. The link I have there also takes you directly to an ordering page for the sub which is also on sale. I will not answer any more of your stupid questions because I and others have already done so over and over again and youre either illiterate or drunk. Rather than thank anyone for giving you EXACTLY the info you need, your attitude gets worse and worse, you act as if you have overpayed for our services and not gotten what you thought you were getting and are now an irate customer. In actuality, the info is free, we all did the research for you and provided it to you as quickly, friendly and easily as we could, then tried to re explain when you seemed confused for some reason only God could understand at this point because I sure as hell dont.

So do us all a favor, dont ask us for our help anymore as frankly, you dont deserve it, arent thankful for it, have no manners whatsoever, and dont even know what to do with it. Drop your car off at the dealer, pay the $400ish for the piece of junk original sub + labor and be done with it. Forums like this are not for guys like you, dealerships are. Its guys like you that keep them in business, and if this thread is any indication, rightfully so.
007, just wanted to follow up with you. I did take your advice. Bought the Kicker 8 ohm and installed it after laying down some dynamat. The original ML bracket was usable although I had to make some minor mods which were easy with a rotary tool. The combination of the dynamat (eliminating some rattles I was getting after installing the Pioneer) and the Kicker (which, unlike the 4 ohm Pioneer, does not overload the amp and cause it to drop out) are awesome. Not the finest sound system on wheels, mind you, but really good nonetheless.

Thanks again...
Old 06-05-12, 12:44 AM
vamel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, I wasn't able to find the polarity of the ML sub, which one of them is + and - so could anybody who knows for sure share that info please. Thanks.