LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

New Owner Introduction

Old 03-31-12, 06:46 PM
Chemtj
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default New Owner Introduction

Hi all. I have been lurking a while while I shopped for a new car. I have been active on Mercedes forums as I have been a Mercedes guy since the 70s and still own an 80s SL for use on sunny weekends. I have owned S class Mercedes for years but have been becoming tired of the upkeep costs associated with those cars. Having owned several Toyotas and Hondas in the past I thought about looking for a large comfortable Japanese sedan and found myself drawn to the LS 430s. After looking at several that were available in my area I settled on an 04 UL that was for sale at my local Lexus dealer. It is white with the Ecru and cherry? Interior. One owner trade in bought from the same dealership and serviced there since new. 77k on the odometer, no wrecks and looks new. Paid $19600 for it. After the sale I noticed that the left headlight was broken, internal damage. The dealer repaired it at no cost to me even though there was no warranty with the car. Other than that I see no problems with the car. I must say it is much more car for the money than the Mercedes cars I have driven for the last 30 some years. I am very impressed with the quality and ride of this car, not to mention the dealer customer service. I would not receive that kind of service from my local Mercedes dealership. I hope to have this car a long time and look forward to learning much from this forum. Sorry but I have not filled out my profile yet and don't yet know how to post photos. I will get to that soon. As far as the car it is stock white with Ecru interior. You have all seen that so nothing new.
Old 03-31-12, 06:58 PM
gashed
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome!! I'm fairly new and also picked up a 1-Owner 04 UL as well. Like you, I drove nothing but European (BMW) for almost 30 years. Sold a much newer BMW when I picked up the 430. Couldn't be happier with my decision.

You'll find much knowledge and information on this forum.
Old 03-31-12, 07:01 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats and welcome. Youre not the first to finally have had enough of the Germans and everything you have to put up with now in order to own one of their cars. Many previous German car owners end up at the wheel of a Lexus and generally once here, never go back, myself included. Hell, Ive got 2 now. Despite the fact that there are many German cars built today that I like quite a bit, I would never spend my own money on any of them, I just dont trust any of them.

Any questions please ask way. Just wanted to say hello.
Old 03-31-12, 07:25 PM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

welcome ..do share pictures
Old 03-31-12, 09:45 PM
Silkky
Lead Lap

Welcome! Congrats on the car.
Old 03-31-12, 10:00 PM
kg19989
Lead Lap

Welcome! We are glad to have yet another friend to the LS owners club! Can't wait to see pics. I am on my second LS and there simply isn't a better care out there. Seems like you are already of the opinion that we are. Enjoy! can't wait to see pics!!!!!
Old 03-31-12, 10:01 PM
kg19989
Lead Lap

Sorry....I have had a few toddies tonight and noticed that I repeated myself. I will try to abstain from that again tonight!!!!
Old 04-01-12, 05:27 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Chemtj
... It is white with the Ecru and cherry? Interior. ...
Welcome & congrats. In 2004, there were two shades of white available:

- Crystal white (think refrigerator)
- Moonlight pearl (pearl white) a fairly rare color

Both were available with ecru interior which included birds eye maple wood trim.
Old 04-01-12, 07:43 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Welcome. I also have a 04 UL with 79,000 carefully maintained miles. It still looks and feels like new, so I know exactly how happy you are to have this car. I couldn't be happier. Enjoy.
Old 04-01-12, 11:11 AM
TerrySmith
Intermediate

Welcome to the forum and the LS 430. Sorry that your experience with MB was not better.
Old 04-01-12, 02:57 PM
Chemtj
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks all for the welcome. Caddyowner, I did not realize there were two white colors. I believe mine is the moonlight pearl as it has some metalflake to it, not a "refrigerator" white. The only drawback I see is that the interior will be hard to keep clean. I wore a blue shirt the other day and some of the blue transfered to the seat back. I will have to find a good leather cleaner. I am out of town now but will try to post some photos when I get home from the beach.
Old 04-01-12, 07:23 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 184 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Chemtj
Hi all. I have been lurking a while while I shopped for a new car. I have been active on Mercedes forums as I have been a Mercedes guy since the 70s and still own an 80s SL for use on sunny weekends. I have owned S class Mercedes for years but have been becoming tired of the upkeep costs associated with those cars.
Congrats on the car and welcome! I've never actually owned a Benz, but it is my favorite brand easily. The W140 S class is HANDS DOWN my favorite car of all time (never owned one like I said but have had lots of experience with them), but I don't have the disposable income to repair it and maintain it. They are extremely well and solidly built cars, but german electronics? :/

With the LS430, it's pretty obvious that they copied it, but, and dare I say it--I think it may be the better car. It doesn't have the style, grace or heritage of a W140, but it's built just as well or better, and is far more reliable. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, right?

However, any Lexus LS is pretty much invisible compared to a black 97-99 W140. God, those things are sexy.

One day when I do have extra money lying around I wlll have a 99 S500 Grand Edition (only 600 made) parked in my garage that I will just rub with a diaper daily and drive occasionally.

Lol, I may very well still have my 04 LS there beside it, still as my daily driver. These cars are that solid. It's hard to believe that a high zoot car this sophisticated is as reliable as a dinky, bare-bones Corolla, but it's true. I love it!
Old 04-02-12, 04:39 AM
Muti007
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

AJT, I have a thing for old Benzes as well. W140s, though not that old, is about up to where I still consider Mercedes Mercedes, after which Im not such a fan anymore. Im sure you realize W140s are dirt cheap nowadays which certainly does make them tempting, but as you seem to know, the problem isnt in buying one but in keeping one on the road. Otherwise awesome cars though.
Old 04-03-12, 05:30 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 184 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Muti007
AJT, I have a thing for old Benzes as well. W140s, though not that old, is about up to where I still consider Mercedes Mercedes, after which Im not such a fan anymore. Im sure you realize W140s are dirt cheap nowadays which certainly does make them tempting, but as you seem to know, the problem isnt in buying one but in keeping one on the road. Otherwise awesome cars though.
Oh god dude I know.....W140 is the last of the great Mercedes.....I wanted one so bad and about pulled the trigger on one for 10k, but then I figured I'd be putting AT LEAST that into it maintenance wise. This Lexus? Haha...I've got the timing belt service coming up in 15k but that's about it....I've owned many quality reliable cars (Maxima, TL, I35) but jeez this car really takes it to a new level. Solid as a ROCK!

Like I said, it doesn't have the presence of a W140, but it's basically a better car lol. Toyota took it as a benchmark and added their magic and made a better one.
Old 04-03-12, 05:40 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

W140? Bah! W123 FTW.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Owner Introduction