LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS430 - Nothing really compares.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-12, 01:14 PM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Ever seen the warranty on a Bentley? Not to impressive.
Old 03-28-12, 04:17 PM
Brewmyown
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I just bought my first 2002 LS a couple weeks ago. I sold a 2007 Acura TLS to buy it. The car is 10 years old and it still feels solid and looks great. The fit, finish and amenities are excellent and like many said previously the the design is timeless. Sure the newer ones look...... "newer" and have more gadgets and technology but for what I paid for my car, I wouldn't pay a substantial amount for a newer one. The black on black I bought has 125,000 on it and looks and drives like new and I have receipts from all recommended and repairs service done at a Lexus dealer since day one. It just had the 120,000 mile service (as scheduled) a while ago. I paid $11,000 for it from a private party and I'm very happy with it. I'm looking forward to the 2,000 mile plus round trip to Florida in a couple months........
Old 03-28-12, 06:42 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Another LS430 praise thread! God i love it! Keep it coming.
Old 03-29-12, 09:06 AM
mndaves
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Before we got our LS I used to look forward to trips where we rented a car because it was fun to drive something different and compare. Now every car we rent is a POS and I can't WAIT to get back to the LS!!! I agree with everything that's been said. This is the best car I have ever owned and will ever own...
Old 03-29-12, 11:54 AM
Scuttle
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mndaves
Before we got our LS I used to look forward to trips where we rented a car because it was fun to drive something different and compare. Now every car we rent is a POS and I can't WAIT to get back to the LS!!! I agree with everything that's been said. This is the best car I have ever owned and will ever own...
+1, While i was getting my 90k done I had a rental dodge avenger. I wanted to cry
Old 03-30-12, 09:05 PM
99LSBrad
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I took mine on week-long 2400 mile round trip about 6 months after I bought it.

I thought this car was special while I was researching it.

After this trip, I was stone cold in love.
Old 03-31-12, 01:18 AM
Muti007
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sojah
i drove a rental car around for 2.5 weeks and it wasn't bad (toyota yaris) but man i tell you it was a very luxurious feeling sliding back into the seat of my 05 UL and setting off down the road. i'm not saying that there are not better cars out there but i would love to see a car with 100k (just broke the 100k mark), costs around the 20k mark, is super clean inside and out (well its actually really dirty on the outside ), has no issues, rides so smooth and quiet, is such a classic design, and is so solid and well built.

i keep thinking about upgrading but to what? i mean what is better? and i'm talking up to about 40k, what is a better car for upwards of 42k or less? i would rather just get a second cheap car at this point instead of getting rid of the LS430 and getting something more expensive.
I think about this a lot. The new LS460 doesnt work for me, too many things about it that I dont like and I dont think Ill be replacing my LS with one. Im getting close to 100k as well on my LS but youd never know it to look at it inside or out or to drive it. I think if/when the day comes to replace this car, I will likely end up just looking for a newer, lower mileage LS430 again to replace mine. As noted by so many others here, I still do not see anything else out these that to me is a worthy replacement to an LS other than a similar 04-06 LS, maybe an UL next time around.

Of my cars, its still my favorite of the group.
Old 03-31-12, 04:30 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default tripping

Originally Posted by Brewmyown
...I'm very happy with it. I'm looking forward to the 2,000 mile plus round trip to Florida in a couple months........
I've taken two family trips from NJ to Orlando and it was the easiest 18 hours (1 way) of driving ever. Unfortunately we had to pass the DC area which was terrible.
Old 03-31-12, 05:50 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
I've taken two family trips from NJ to Orlando and it was the easiest 18 hours (1 way) of driving ever. Unfortunately we had to pass the DC area which was terrible.
DC area driving is starting to remind me of those nature channel shows when they show the ants in a line traveling through the jungle and they are all going in a straight line but every few seconds one shoots off to the side or turns around and stops and all the other ants have to then funnel around them and then the traffic piles up and then a couple ants try to cheat and go all the way around the other line of slower moving ants and speed up on the shoulders, then occasionally an ant will go right over top of another ant that stopped short, or an ant will fly off into the oncoming ants and all the ants will damn near come to a complete stop to try and formulate their own opinions of what could have possibly caused that ant to do that.

maybe its just me ^ ^ ^

and yes i spend 30+ minutes each way every day in these scenarios so i have lots of time to think about things other than driving...
Old 03-31-12, 08:26 AM
Muti007
Advanced

Originally Posted by sojah
DC area driving is starting to remind me of those nature channel shows when they show the ants in a line traveling through the jungle and they are all going in a straight line but every few seconds one shoots off to the side or turns around and stops and all the other ants have to then funnel around them and then the traffic piles up and then a couple ants try to cheat and go all the way around the other line of slower moving ants and speed up on the shoulders, then occasionally an ant will go right over top of another ant that stopped short, or an ant will fly off into the oncoming ants and all the ants will damn near come to a complete stop to try and formulate their own opinions of what could have possibly caused that ant to do that.

maybe its just me ^ ^ ^

and yes i spend 30+ minutes each way every day in these scenarios so i have lots of time to think about things other than driving...
Its not just you. I cant stand DC driving, especially anywhere near 3:45-6:30pm.
Old 03-31-12, 09:32 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

i use to live off of exit 80 on i95 in md, and i dont miss anything on the i95 drive down to the i85 in va.even atlanta traffic is better then that.
Old 03-31-12, 09:51 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 186 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Brewmyown
I just bought my first 2002 LS a couple weeks ago. I sold a 2007 Acura TLS to buy it. ...
Nice! I too came from a TL. Mine was a black 2006 6 speed....beautiful, wickedly speedy car but I JUST COULD NOT GET THE DAMN THING TO RIDE SMOOTH!!!!!! The keychain would rattle in the ignition on the highway, and it drove me INSANE. Acuras are great cars, but I honestly do not miss it ONE BIT.

It too had very good fit and finish, all the switches felt good and you could easily tell the car was high quality. But the LS is really a whole new level. I knew going into it that the LS is pretty much one of the finest automobiles money can buy, but I guess I had to experience it personally.
Old 03-31-12, 01:49 PM
Caydoc
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2004 LS with 22xxx miles that can't be told from new---inside or out. I've been thinking of selling...looked at all the usual sources for current prices and found the top for this model to be around 27k...what can I buy for $27k that will even come close? I just bought a new Prius for $24k and the comparison is non-existent, except dor the fuel efficiency. I just may be buried in the LS430!
Old 03-31-12, 01:55 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Doc, a 22k mile, mint LS is a car Id likely keep until either it or I died . Good for you!