LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Lower idle in D, then CEL w/P0430 + tranny rough shifting in cold?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-12, 04:24 AM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Lower idle in D, then CEL w/P0430 + tranny rough shifting in cold?

Couple of weeks ago I noticed my idle in drive is lower (500-600RPM), car didn't shake, also I tested that it only happens in D and any forward gears, not in P or R. After driving the car for awhile CEL pops up with P0430 which is CAT converter pass side but also can be a hole in my Y pipe. I cleared the code and for two days it was ok, then again P0430 and lower idle. How can this code affect idle? Car drives fine and has good power. I cleaned the flap near MAF sensor, plugs are changed 2500 miles ago.
Tranny. In cold weather when I start the car in the morning to go to work, I warm up the car for about 10 min through remote start. Get in to drive and there is rough shift from first to second but only the first time it shifts. Repeated attempts after a rough shift to replicate it fails. I tried to drive the car cold - same thing. It seems like when the car stays not driven for 3-4 hours there is always this one rough shift. Tranny pan was resealed and tranny filter changed, fluid is pink with no burning smell.
There are no leaks at all. I park in my drIveway and there are no spots.
Any help will be appreciated.
Old 03-24-12, 06:43 AM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have exactly those issues also, except no CEL. Stumped.
Old 03-24-12, 10:10 AM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Did you have your y-pipe inspected? I had the heat shields removed from mine and the pipe inspected but no leaks or holes were found. I also have a terrible jingling/metallic/clinking sound when coasting with my foot ever so slightly on the throttle, mostly noticeable on the highway. Think I have a little bit of engine knock here and there too. Really pissing me off that I can't figure out the problem, as I have a hunch several of these symptoms a related.
Old 03-25-12, 10:41 AM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

Not yet. I plan on swaping out my air suspension for metal springs as air ride is almost done, already ordered some parts for the swap. As I'll have all parts I'm going to bring my car to the shop and do a full blown whole car inspection.
By the way, I had a clunck while parked with engine running and some cluncking on the highway the same way you described. It turned out to be a heat shield being too close to exhaust. I just bent it back and woila, no more clunking.
Engine knock? When? How? and under what circumstences?
Old 03-25-12, 06:09 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Where exactly was the heat shield?

The engine knock I have is just a general light knock, as you would expect to get if you used crappy gas.
Old 03-25-12, 08:03 PM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

Passenger side near a muffler.

I'm puzzled about tranny issue, it performs w/o a hitch when it's warm or hot outside.
Old 04-15-12, 10:22 AM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

Ok. I've swapped my air suspension for steel springs and shocks. While at it I asked my mechanic to inpect my exhaust and everything else. He found a leak at a flange between cat and y pipe, fixed it. He checked the whole car and gave it a clean bill of health. I'll update after a week of driving on the symptoms.
Old 04-15-12, 12:34 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Did fixing the leak make any difference in the sound of the car while running, or we're there any noises associated with the leak?
Old 04-15-12, 06:50 PM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

Yes it did! It runs much quiter now. By the way the car drives beautifully. Before I tried to avoid all bumps, now I don't notice them. Drives really tight, I guess new springs settled. I am very happy with the way it runs and drives and even more happy how it looks lowered.
Old 04-15-12, 11:15 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Check for exhaust leaks. A bad post oxygen sensor can trigger a bad cat code. Lastly would be a bad cat itself.
Old 04-16-12, 03:53 AM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

How about the rough shift? Did that disappear too?
Old 04-16-12, 10:31 AM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

Since the weather is nice and warn outside there is no rough shifting. I still got the lower rpm in D, there is no pattern to it. Sometimes it's ok for a day or to and sometimes it lower in the morning
Old 04-16-12, 06:10 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by yuri.ber
Since the weather is nice and warn outside there is no rough shifting. I still got the lower rpm in D, there is no pattern to it. Sometimes it's ok for a day or to and sometimes it lower in the morning
True. Sometime i get a low idle shake occasionally but not that often. I did actually notice it when i ran a full tank of BP then Exxon for a period of time when i normally use Shell. After switching back to Shell, it seems to run somewhat smoother with not as much low idle quiver as before. Keeping an eye on it for now before i set a date with my mechanic.
Old 04-18-12, 06:26 PM
curiousB
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had these symptoms. Was a leak under the heat shield after the secondary O2 sensors. See the whole saga here:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...1&#entry440703
Old 04-18-12, 08:47 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Clean your TB if you haven't yet. It will solve the low idle. Rough shifting could be bad engine/transmission mounts.

Quick Reply: Lower idle in D, then CEL w/P0430 + tranny rough shifting in cold?