LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS 430 Calipers, Brakes and Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-12, 07:29 PM
LexusFan09
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS 430 Calipers, Brakes and Rotors

Hey I was wondering if any of you guys did the Calipers, brakes or rotors on your own LS 430. I need to change mine soon and I was wondering if anyone has done all three before. I get all my parts from Auto Zone.Anything I need to look for? Or is is a peice of cake? I just have a 2002 Lexus LS 430 no luxury package or anything. Just a basic model with heated seats. Wish I had cooled seats too and a sunshade but oh well. I still love my LS.
Old 03-08-12, 08:41 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Normal replaceable parts are the brake pads and the rotors. I have not heard of replacing calipers (maybe rebuilding caliper pistons but not replacing the caliper) in normal brake brake jobs. LS brake jobs are the easiest I have ever seen - its an diy project. I have posted this before literrally jacking up the car and dismounting and remounting the wheels is the hardest part.

I replaced the pads on my car but not rotors as they were in perfect shape. But the rotors were so loose on the hub that I could have just taken them off with a gentle tug and easily replaced the rotors also - literally a 10 minute job to replace the rotors (if they are not rusted on on the hub - that would take a little more time). I suggest you get pads and rotors from online OEM Toyota source like Sewell Lexus or Iron Toad. Also get the replacement caliper bolts for each caliper if you take off the calipers to replace rotors - the bolts are one time use only.
Old 03-09-12, 07:02 AM
waijai
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I upgraded to a big brake kit front and rear, although if you're doing just a regular maintenance thing it's just pads/rotors like Jabberwock mentioned. You may be able to get away with just turning the existing rotors and installing new pads instead of getting new rotors.
Old 03-09-12, 09:34 AM
LexusFan09
Rookie

Thanks for the info guys. But I think I do need a new set of calipers because sometimes when I drive the car on the highway the steering wheel will shake sometimes. The same thing happened to my 97 es 300 and I had to get the calipers replaced. I also have big 22 inch rims on my LS, but not by choice I bought the car with them. The 22s make the LS drive so hard. I personally hate them. But anyway what else would lead to the steering wheel shaking on the road? I know I need an alignment too.
Old 03-09-12, 09:56 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lots of thing can make the vibrations. I would start by getting new wheels or getting the wheels balanced by a competent shop that is used to doing balances on big aftermarket wheels. This shop should also be able to tell you if u have a bent rim or some wheel/tire damages. Once u take care of the wheel balances then go from there to maybe look at the rotors. If the car only vibrates under braking then I would suspect the rotors are warped.
Old 03-09-12, 11:04 AM
JSDND1980
Driver

Or your ball joints are failing!
Old 03-09-12, 01:54 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Brake shake often caused by warped rotors - your rotors may be warped due to overheating caused by have to stop those oversized (and likely overweight) 22 inch wheels and tires. Larger wheels and tires add a LOT more stress to any OEM brake system. The guys driving around with giant wheels and tires on their pickup trucks that are going 70 mph 6 feet from your bumper are too stupid to realize their brake system is grossly undersized at that point.

I can't think of any reason why your calipers would ever need to be replaced under normal conditions - although there are caliper rebuild kits that renew piston seals etc.

An exception would be a caliper and brake upgrade where you are getting a totally different upgraded brake system and hardware as previously posted.
Old 03-09-12, 05:01 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If the steering wheel moves back and forth without applying the brakes, especially after going over a bump or pothole, check out the steering damper (like a shock absorber in the steering gear).
This assumes that your car has one.
Old 03-10-12, 09:01 PM
LexusFan09
Rookie

Oh ok thanks again guys for the info this all makes sense. I have these big 22 inch rims and it makes sense that these big wheels will ware out the rotors or brakes ever. Thats why im trying so hard to hurry up and get them damn things off! So what I will do is replace the rotors and breaks and also do the wheel balance and alignment and see what that leads too.
Old 03-11-12, 11:38 AM
Finerwood
Driver School Candidate

Put the wheels up for sale, you will get a bit on them from the kids who are trying to mod there cars. You might get enough to get the stock ones back one. My 01 came with the chrome 17" and they work well. The 18" wheels look sweet on these cars as well.
Old 03-21-12, 11:09 PM
MotownGirl
Driver School Candidate

Hey All! As for me, my car was shaking/vibrating extremely bad.... I thought that it was just pads really bad needing to change them before rotors go...well, one day, driving on the freeway, my rotors split in two.... my passenger side rotor, first... now my driver's side rotor is doing the same thing. I purchased aftermarket rotors from autozone...works just fine... Now, there's like a knociking in the rear passenger tire... will check and see what that is..... Is it me or have others also had problems with the lugs... all of mine broke and had to be replaced with aftermarket lugs? I switch to my 20" rims in the spring...
Old 03-22-12, 02:11 PM
curiousB
Rookie

Knocking in the rear tire can be the parking brake has disintegrated inside the drum. I had this happen where a piece of the brake shoe lining fell off and was rattling inside the drum. The drum was badly corroded so replaced drum/rotor, drum shoes (parking brake), and the brake pads on the rear. All good once done.
Old 04-06-12, 09:02 PM
yoreg1911
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info. I am about to take a trip cross country in LS430 and I will be doing some major maintenance to ensure it is ready for the road.