LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

DC Sports SRI4500 - Short Ram Intake for 2004 LS430

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-12, 12:30 PM
HTOWNLS500
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile DC Sports SRI4500 - Short Ram Intake for 2004 LS430

I believe I may be the first one in the nation to properly install this intake, and I haven't seen anyone else here in CL that has one installed.

Kit comes with a 3" to 3" silicone coupler factory boxed, but it does not fit. I have been working with DC sports to rectify this issue, and they sent me a couple other sizes to try. It definitely is the 3.25" to 3" coupler that goes on the throttle body.

Took a while to install as I had to figure out everything myself. The installation instructions dont take in account a lot of things, but I have passed all of this information on to DC Sports so they can hopefully fix it before everyone has the same problems I have had.

It's on and I have tested it out pretty thoroughly and checked to make sure it isnt coming off. Sounds pretty damn good and mean with the 4.3L V8! I aint trying to rice out my car but an intake that cant be seen and improves MPG and slight HP works for me.

If anyone gets it and needs any help, let me know and I will try to help the best I can.

Thanks!
-HTOWNLS430
Old 03-08-12, 01:28 PM
MEPEH
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone had a thread regarding the use of CAI kits..
They proved with scientific studies that the CAI has a very low dirt particle retention and that nothing was improved as far as HP and mpg.

I really don't believe someone saying that just because the resistance of the filter is less on a CAI, it will save you gas and mpg
O2 sensors will adjust the fuel supply depending on the volume of oxygen that passes through. The fuel.air ratio is set in the mapping of the injection system and unless you change the ration in the maps, the result will be pretty much the same.

Please not that we are talking about an LS430 engine wich normally operates at 2000-3000 rpms in your day to day use.
Now if you had an engine that's working at 7000-9000 rpms than the story changes.
Changing JUST the air filter to "zero tolerance" element will not have any affects unless some other modifications are made.

CAI = cold air intake

If anyone has doubts about it, fill up the tank and just remove the air element completely (0 resistance) and check your mpg.

To the OP, whatever you save on gas (if any) is very little compared to the price of a CAI

One more thing to remember... the pressure in your intake manifold is one of the parameters your ignition system takes in consideration when adjusting ignition/fuel delivery.
Removing the resistance in the intake manifold will affect the pressure and provide your ECU with incorrect values

Not trying to descourage anyone, just thought i would present the dark side to the future buyer of such a system
To the OP, if it works for you and makes you sleep better, than you made the right choice

Last edited by MEPEH; 03-08-12 at 01:34 PM.
Old 03-08-12, 03:17 PM
HTOWNLS500
Driver

This is a short ram intake and not a cold air intake. There is a big difference in throttle response and at the price of being quiet. I just put it on the so the jury is still out on if it makes any difference at all. I do like the sound of it and it just feels like its adding more HP lol. I didnt want a CAI and I dont even think there is one for the LS430 that I know of. This has a less restrictive airbox and is a wider diameter in piping, thus the increase of air intake into the engine. I dont have dyno numbers to prove otherwise, but I can tell you that when I gun it with power mode on or off, I can feel the difference. To each their own but so far I like it.
Old 03-08-12, 03:49 PM
Mr.Doback
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You definitely didn't gain any power, it may feel more responsive though.

for doing something rather than the boring stuff thats always on here.

Old 03-08-12, 05:59 PM
GLIDESUL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a injen intake and love the sound of it.
Old 03-08-12, 06:19 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MEPEH
Someone had a thread regarding the use of CAI kits..
They proved with scientific studies that the CAI has a very low dirt particle retention and that nothing was improved as far as HP and mpg.
Well, to be definitive in this statement, one would have to test every car with every intake available. Some cars gain some hp and/or torque but at different places along the rev range and also lose some of both or either along the rev range. It is a difficult thing to quantify with absoluteness, but generally speaking, I agree theyre more likely to add to the butt dyno than to the real one.

Regarding the OP, Im sure it sounds great, esp on that V8, but the claims of increased HP and MPG would really have to be scientifically measured to be proven. I personally definitely also have my doubts regarding both, but hell if it just sounds and feels better, that alone may be worth it for him and others. I have a cold air injection intake setup (FIPK) on my S2000 but really only because it completely changes the sound characteristics of the engine and makes it far meaner, meatier than stock. Its up to debate if I have gained any HP or MPG but Id not claim I have gained any of either to anyone as if I was certain. I just know I love the way it sounds and that was enough for me to spend the $300 or so on it.

For my Lexuses, I want them to be as quiet and serene as possible so ID not want any added sound, otherwise theyd be all header, intake and exhausted up by now. The only sound I want out of either of them is from the stereo, and that alone is costing me enough, lol.

Last edited by Muti007; 03-08-12 at 06:23 PM.
Old 03-08-12, 10:15 PM
HTOWNLS500
Driver

well i know i wasnt gonna get 15 hp and 5 more mpg or anything.. i might see realistically +1-2 MPG if even that and maybe 3 to 5 hp but thats ok.. its sounds nice and has a better response on the throttle and gas and definitely at mid to high rpm. It doesnt get loud until you gun it.. otherwise its still Lexus quiet and smooth. The intake cost me 200 bucks shipped so it wasn't killer on the wallet or anything. A similar Fujita one was going for close to 400 and I dont think i wanted to spend that much on an intake. I run Royal Purple in my car so I know it may get dirtier quicker, but thats ok for me and I dont mind spending the money to take care of my baby and have a lil more fun driving her.
Old 03-09-12, 02:18 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Placebos sometimes actually work.
Old 03-10-12, 02:56 AM
VNN326
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Doback
You definitely didn't gain any power, it may feel more responsive though.

for doing something rather than the boring stuff thats always on here.

AMEN BRO. you spoke the words in my head
Old 03-10-12, 05:31 AM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

enjoy the roar. You'll likely use more gas now because you'll spend more time driving in the higher rpm range to hear the V8.

I have never had a cold air intake on on my car, even though I did want one ) because when I did have a K&N drop in filter, I never knew if I was putting enough or too much oil on it when I cleaned and re-oiled it, so I always worried that I was going to cause damage to the engine
Old 03-15-12, 09:08 PM
HTOWNLS500
Driver

with the DC sports short ram intake, it comes with an oil-less air filter and is meant to be that way so the Mass Air Flow sensor does not get fouled up. Been driving around with it on and damn it gets loud sometimes lol.. I have to let off the accelerator but it does have a nice throaty v8 sound now. so far so good. I check it almost daily to make sure it hasnt come off or if any seals/tubing have come off so lets hope its all good. Im glad i installed it and not just some mechanic who never did it before because I took the time and cared for it step by step. Im happy with it and I guess thats all that really matters right?
Old 03-16-12, 09:46 PM
ultm8mind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

No science has to go into it at all other than, remembering what your tank range was prior versus what it is now. If you like that sucking sound as you step on the gas and it makes you smile that's science enough. I just sold my 600+ hp Evo due to having a third child and kinda needing to grow up a little, lol. I kind of miss it but wifey's putting a budget on me for this one, lol...
Old 03-17-12, 04:05 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by ultm8mind
No science has to go into it at all other than, remembering what your tank range was prior versus what it is now. If you like that sucking sound as you step on the gas and it makes you smile that's science enough. I just sold my 600+ hp Evo due to having a third child and kinda needing to grow up a little, lol. I kind of miss it but wifey's putting a budget on me for this one, lol...
You're absolutely right. No one should feel obligated to provide a rationale for why they have purchased a particular car or what they have done to it. If you're satisfied it and you're not abusing your family or loved ones, then it's nobody else's business and just relax and enjoy it!
Old 07-02-14, 12:04 AM
HTOWNLS500
Driver

UPDATE :

Put an HKS Super Mega Flow v2 on the DC Sports. It is a bit more responsive and feels better on the acceleration than with the stock K&N filter it came with.

Old 07-02-14, 09:03 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by VINHsanity
AMEN BRO. you spoke the words in my head
100% agree - Thanks for sharing the details on the mod and your experiences with it to date. Let us know how it goes.

Quick Reply: DC Sports SRI4500 - Short Ram Intake for 2004 LS430