LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

if 04 tranny recall was performed does it still need the reflash?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-12, 01:24 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 186 Likes on 165 Posts
Default if 04 tranny recall was performed does it still need the reflash?

Hey guys, I just found out that my transmission was actually replaced per the recall, and I just want to make sure that with the new one that was put in the software was correct. In other words, do I still need to ask the dealer if the reflash was performed, or would the replacement one come up to date with it.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
Old 02-22-12, 08:16 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Are you talking reflash for the lag that some experience with acceleration at low speed? If so, I'm pretty sure the two are separate things and I would not assume it was done per the recall.
Old 02-22-12, 10:23 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Are you talking reflash for the lag that some experience with acceleration at low speed? If so, I'm pretty sure the two are separate things and I would not assume it was done per the recall.

Yes. I don't understand why it will shift up into 5th gear before 30MPH, and never wind the engine unless I literally floor it, but then downshift into first under 10MPH (like when making a turn onto a side street), which is totally unwanted and unnecessary. It just seems totally backwards. The car doesn't really "lag" per se....

The Lexus service adviser said that if it was replaced the software should be up to date.

I'm not sure if I believe him, though.
Old 02-22-12, 03:01 PM
AlexusAnja

Someone activated the tsb thread onTC006-04, read up on it and see if this applies. if so go back to the dealer and specifically asked if this tsb was done.
Old 02-22-12, 03:46 PM
thinkin
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
The Lexus service adviser said that if it was replaced the software should be up to date.
The service campaign for the replacement was for the parking pawl in the early '04s, a mechanical bit which was under spec and could break if the car was on a steep incline without the parking break engaged. The TSB for the shifting is all in the control logic.

They would have nothing to do with each other. The transmission is probably all mechanical/hydraulic, with the valve body and solenoids being the most "intelligence" it has. The computer affected by the shifting TSB would not likely be in or on the transmission itself.

I also believe there would be a sticker under your hood somewhere if the TSB had been performed.

I too find the 6-speed 430s behavior at low speeds bewildering; it is very eager to grab first gear and "bang" the car a bit at low speeds when one would think it'd be more comfortable to stay in 2nd, and there is certainly plenty of torque to leave it in the higher gear. I'm not sure if the reflash affects this though and in my experience it's the behavior from '04-06. I would like to know if the reflash softens this up, if so I'd have it done.
Old 02-22-12, 06:51 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by thinkin
The service campaign for the replacement was for the parking pawl in the early '04s, a mechanical bit which was under spec and could break if the car was on a steep incline without the parking break engaged. The TSB for the shifting is all in the control logic.

They would have nothing to do with each other. The transmission is probably all mechanical/hydraulic, with the valve body and solenoids being the most "intelligence" it has. The computer affected by the shifting TSB would not likely be in or on the transmission itself.

I also believe there would be a sticker under your hood somewhere if the TSB had been performed.

I too find the 6-speed 430s behavior at low speeds bewildering; it is very eager to grab first gear and "bang" the car a bit at low speeds when one would think it'd be more comfortable to stay in 2nd, and there is certainly plenty of torque to leave it in the higher gear. I'm not sure if the reflash affects this though and in my experience it's the behavior from '04-06. I would like to know if the reflash softens this up, if so I'd have it done.
I figured the guy was full of ****. What you said makes perfect sense, and that's what I was thinking too. The mechanical bits have nothing to do with the software.

I am starting to get used to this low speed behavior, although I'm still definitely going to follow up on this. The main thing I'm concerned with is undue wear on the tranny. I definitely don't want to have to be replacing it. I'd say it's a $5,000 job EASY. Saying that however, I think in all of the 250 pages of the LS forum I've read, I remember seeing ONE transmission failure. These cars are amazing.

I will definitely let you know the progress of this issue...
Old 11-21-13, 09:00 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
I figured the guy was full of ****. What you said makes perfect sense, and that's what I was thinking too. The mechanical bits have nothing to do with the software.

I am starting to get used to this low speed behavior, although I'm still definitely going to follow up on this. The main thing I'm concerned with is undue wear on the tranny. I definitely don't want to have to be replacing it. I'd say it's a $5,000 job EASY. Saying that however, I think in all of the 250 pages of the LS forum I've read, I remember seeing ONE transmission failure. These cars are amazing.

I will definitely let you know the progress of this issue...
I'm interested in this as well. I also notice that at times she will downshift to first and I'm still going over 10 mph. Pointless hard downshift while I'm slowing down. Kind of weird because I notice it at consistent points in my commute. Definitely a programming trait. My transmission was replaced within the first 8 months of purchase via the recall. I don't remember seeing anything about an ecu update.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 11-21-13 at 09:05 PM.
Old 11-22-13, 03:27 AM
AlexusAnja

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
I'm interested in this as well. I also notice that at times she will downshift to first and I'm still going over 10 mph. Pointless hard downshift while I'm slowing down. Kind of weird because I notice it at consistent points in my commute. Definitely a programming trait. My transmission was replaced within the first 8 months of purchase via the recall. I don't remember seeing anything about an ecu update.
The issue you describe doesn't seem to be what the TSB will fix. The fix is for a lag to downshift and accelerate back up during low speeds, around 15 mph. So, say your entering a merge and slow to 15 mph and then see an opening and you gun it. The tranny hesitates and then shifts down and goes. If you're downshifting too soon, that is almost reverse of issue.
Old 11-22-13, 08:09 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

I have a 2004, and my records showed the transmission was recalled, but the flash upgrade had never been done, so I did it.

I highly recommend it, it made a big difference. I can't believe the car left Lexus the way it originally did, it would almost make you car sick as the shifts were so odd when you were doing low speeds say in a neighborhood around turns.

I would call around different dealerships with the TSB number ready and get quotes. I had a typical stealership moment when I got a quote, brought the car in, and then the price doubled. It ended up being something like $200 for the flash, which is absurd, but I got them to throw another service for a discount so it wasn't a total loss.
Old 11-24-13, 09:02 AM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

TSB006-04 applies to all '04 LS430s and '05 ones under serial no. 005700.
Its topic is "ECM calibration: Shifting enhancement", and if performed according to the TSB, requires re-programming of the ECM and affixing an "Authorized Modification" label.

Special Service Campaign 4LC applied to all '04 LS430s and required replacement of the transmission to correct a problem with a "small piece of metal separating from a retaining collar when the accelerator is operated quickly".

Both are long out of warranty, so you would have to negotiate with a dealer to have them done.