LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Interesting to read what people think makes this car "troublesome"...

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-12, 01:48 AM
scottgolf
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i didn't know you could have one of these cars with out a smart key. is this correct
Old 02-12-12, 04:27 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by scottgolf
i didn't know you could have one of these cars with out a smart key. is this correct
The 06 sales brochure I have lists SmartAccess as a stand-alone option on all trim levels other than UL. However, since it was one of the big upgrades on the Lexus flagship in 04, I suspect most every car was ordered with that option.
Old 02-12-12, 05:15 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i much prefer my suede headliner and extra leather trim both of these still work fine. also the double paned windows really keep it quiet inside the car. i love my rear side sunshades and don't think i've driven 10 miles with them down, except for one of my co-workers who says they make him nauseous so he now gets to sit up front or just put them down manually

i used to love the air suspension for the first year when i had the datasystems controller on it but then it died. i also really like the cool looking pcs grill and don't think i could live (comfortably) without the smartkey anymore. oh yeah the bumper parking sensors and lighted backup camera are awesome too
Old 02-12-12, 01:46 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 186 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by TerrySmith
Congrats on your LS.

However, my 2003 LS430 UL as all the gizmos and I have to disagree with your assertion that the options your car does not have are somehow crap while the rest of the car is great. Actually it's all great. For example, I was using the 9-year-old Nav system today to navigate around and it worked great. I have an iPhone and it's very difficult to use, or even see, while your driving alone. The radar cruise control is a great feature and works really well. The air suspension has worked perfectly so far. It keeps this big, heavy car pretty level when turning rapidly. The ML is one of the best, if not the best, stock car audio system. <--- Period. In fact, to answer your question, everything on the car (except trunk-lid shocks) has worked flawlessly so far. (My car had 13 miles on it when I got it and it now has 72k miles.)

ML and Nav are must-haves for any future Lexus I buy and dynamic cruse control and air suspensions remain on my preferred list.

The point here is not to make you feel bad for missing these options, just to say that they are just as well executed as everything else on the car and most are nice to have.

Some of the bundled options my LS has that I don't want or need but add cost and weight include the rear-seat fridge (only works for 12-ounce cans), the rear-seat audio controls and the rear seat massage vibrators. The theory with this rear-seat stuff is that the owner has a chauffeur to drive and the owner is always in back. If I could afford an chauffeur, I'd have at least a LS460L or probably a big Mercedes. In my LS, none of that stuff ever gets used, but, of course it all works fine.

Anyway enjoy your Lexus and, FYI, the name "Betty" is taken.
I didn't mean they were crap, all I mean is that I don't really need them. I'm sure they are flawless like the rest of the car. I wouldn't mind having the distronic or the ML for that matter, but I don't feel like the car is a stripper either. I've heard the ML before and the sound quality was good, but it seems like it was designed for classical music, as I wasn't really impressed with the bass. The stock stereo is good enough. I see many more blown speaker issues with the ML system. Sure I'd take it. I just don't "miss" it.

I'm sure the Navi works well, but it's a 12 year old design now....this would be with any car; I'd skip the Navigation. They become outdated in 2 years no matter what the brand. I also don't like controlling everything else through that. If the screen goes out (which I've seen people complain about), you're screwed. Not that it's junk though; I didn't mean that.

The air suspension I'm sure is great too, but they fail alot of the time before 100k miles. It doesn't matter what car brand; it's just I would skip that option too, because the regular ride, well, I don't see how it could get any smoother (although I'm sure the air ride is wonderful).

The UL package is amazingly neat, but I'll never ride in back so I don't need it like you were saying. Now the double paned windows, sign me up right now. More W140 stuff .

I would, however like the leather trim on the dash, etc. That's just incredible. Also I like the stained grey wood, and I believe you can only get that on the UL. I could be wrong though.

Basically what I'm saying is that I'm not regretting picking up one with only the premium package....I already know that I'm driving one of the most reliable cars on the planet, but knowing it doesn't have all the high tech gizmos gives me added piece of mind, because I would think they would need attention before everything else. That's all I'm saying. I could be wrong. Kudos to everyone with a better LS than mine he he.

BTW I think I'm gonna name her Vanessa. Hehe.

Last edited by AJT123; 02-12-12 at 01:48 PM. Reason: duplicate sentence
Old 02-12-12, 02:07 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by froboy272
congrats on the purchase. If you have shift issues with your transmission make sure that "TSB TC006-04 " Transmission Shift Pattern Upgrade was done on your car.

I had the update done and it made a huge difference.
Would you mind explaining to me what exactly it was doing before, and then what exactly "the difference" was?

It shifts smooth as silk, and I love how it melts through all the gears before 30MPH, but when I need more acceleration it just doesn't seem to hold gears like it should unless I floor it, which I don't like doing. It should still be somewhat adaptive when you're not all out *****-to-the-wall accelerating. It still shifts up into higher gears with anything other than pretty much full throttle.

Also, I've noticed that when turning on to a street, or slowing down to about below 10 MPH it downshifts into first, which I think is completely unnecessary; If it's capable of 3rd gear by 15MPH, it doesn't need to go back into first at 10. I don't understand why it would do that when I don't need/want it, but NOT hold gears longer when I'm accelerating from a stop. It just seems backwards. I don't want undue stress on the tranny. The less it shifts the longer it will last.

Can I really go into the dealership and ask (but not demand) that they do an 8 year old TSB/recall? They would still honor it 8 years later? I don't think the tranny has been replaced from the recall (there's nothing wrong with it mechanically that the reflash wouldn't fix, and I haven't seen one thread on here about a failed one), but hey if I can get a brand new transmission, why not; I'll gladly take it. Could I call corporate and find out if it's been done? I emailed the dealer and requested it, and I said that I don't feel the car is safe if that hasn't been done. Lol. Plus if the dealer doesn't have to pay for it I don't see why not. I've had amazing service experiences with my Infinitis and Acuras, and I'm sure Lexus is just as good, if not better.

Now don't get me wrong, if I didn't know about this I'd never know anything needed to be done. I love the way the car drives. I just figure if I can get a ton of work done for free, why not.
Old 02-12-12, 02:12 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by scottgolf
No smart key. Lol wish I did have it. I remember the commercials for it back in the day, how the trunk would pop open just when you put your hand under it. Very neat.
Old 02-14-12, 05:15 AM
lev00221
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE=AJT123;7012095]I didn't mean they were crap, all I mean is that I don't really need them. I'm sure they are flawless like the rest of the car. I wouldn't mind having the distronic or the ML for that matter, but I don't feel like the car is a stripper either. I've heard the ML before and the sound quality was good, but it seems like it was designed for classical music, as I wasn't really impressed with the bass. The stock stereo is good enough. I see many more blown speaker issues with the ML system. Sure I'd take it. I just don't "miss" it.

Seems like you would love the car if it were a stripper........
Old 02-15-12, 09:34 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

[QUOTE

Seems like you would love the car if it were a stripper........[/QUOTE]

Well yeah lol....It's not like you're getting a POS for $56k. Like I was saying, all the main **** (powertrain, luxury, ride, etc.) is there even in the base. The options are awesome, but not having them doesn't make the car lame lol.
Old 02-15-12, 11:05 AM
lev00221
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree with you completely. The car is amazing. I just purchased a Black on Black 2004 LS430 Premium (No navigation, no UL, no ML, No CL, No Sport Edition) with 7780 miles (yes, less than 8000 miles.....no typo) and I absolutely love it. Only options are smart key, cooled seats/perforated leather and park assist.

I flew to Washington DC to get it and drove it home to Texas.
I could not be happier! Perfect car and perfect color combination. I actually prefer it without all the extra bells and whistles because of the weight savings, extra trunk space and more usuable center console space. I like to make elaborate stereo installations and I can always use the extra space.

Enjoy your awesome car!
Old 02-15-12, 01:42 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lev00221
I agree with you completely. The car is amazing. I just purchased a Black on Black 2004 LS430 Premium (No navigation, no UL, no ML, No CL, No Sport Edition) with 7780 miles (yes, less than 8000 miles.....no typo) and I absolutely love it. Only options are smart key, cooled seats/perforated leather and park assist.

I flew to Washington DC to get it and drove it home to Texas.
I could not be happier! Perfect car and perfect color combination. I actually prefer it without all the extra bells and whistles because of the weight savings, extra trunk space and more usuable center console space. I like to make elaborate stereo installations and I can always use the extra space.

Enjoy your awesome car!
Thanks; congrats on your purchase too! 8k miles? Wow. I thought mine was low mileage. I love your color combination...the only better color than silver is black, IMO. I also wish I had a black interior (it really makes the wood pop out), but then again I got a flawless LS for $16,900, so I'm not complaining!!!!