LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

430 and crown madjesta questions

Old 01-31-12, 12:29 AM
scottgolf
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 430 and crown madjesta questions

Are any parts from the 430 on the madjesta? is it the same platform or chasis? to me the doors look very similar. for some reason I have it in my head that the ls is its own car, but where does the crown fit in. Is it a gs with ls parts? in japan is the cm better than 430? are the cm's availible in left hand drive? how hard is it to get one in the states? or do they sell a rebadged model here?
Old 01-31-12, 02:26 AM
JasonRN87
Driver School Candidate

In Japan the LS430 is called the Toyota Celsior. Unsure on your other questions, sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Old 01-31-12, 05:11 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i once saw a crown in Colorado right outside of Buckley Air Force base in 2005-06 and i saw a few in a SOCAL toyota car show (pictures though, i wasn't there). i tried to bring back my nissan gloria (Infiniti M, pre release of the M in the states) when i came back from living in japan but it wasn't on the NHTSA's master list of cars allowed for import nor was the Crown in any flavor.

The Crown lineup is just a shade below the Celsior in my opinion and i think most's opinion but the Majesta is the top top version of the Crown. if my memory is correct the prices were almost identical for the loaded Celsior, the Crown Majesta, but I think the Nissan Cima was the top dog . the Crown is the platform but the Majesta is a much higher version of the normal Crown.

I've never seen a left hand drive version, this is something a car shop would have to do to convert it since to my knowledge toyota wouldn't be making this...

Look up the Toyota Century to really blow your mind it was toyota's only v12 ever made but i believe your really not supposed to take the Century out of japan.

if i could get any car from japan it would be a crown majesta or a nissan cima
Old 01-31-12, 06:53 AM
waijai
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Following the discontinuation of the Toyota Celsior in Japan, the Toyota Crown Majesta is Toyota's flagship mainstream car, with a higher price than all models except the Toyota Century.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Crown_Majesta
Old 01-31-12, 09:14 AM
dfkd
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I grew up in Trinidad where we get all our cars from Japan so I have some insight. My dad has also been doing imports to Trinidad from Japan for years so I have even more insight.

The Crown line existed long before Lexus did (since the 60s) and the Majesta variant was added around 1990 I believe.
Toyota model code of the one we had was UZS141. You can google that for more images and info.

I've always loved that grille

MORE IMAGES. Click to enlarge.

And the VIP scene for the Crown + Majesta was/is HUGE!

They were body-on-frame (like all Crown models) so (at least initially) they shared no chassis/platform with any Lexus model. We did a couple chassis swaps over the years to upgrade cars (buy the shell and put it on a chassis (frame) we already had).

They were outfit completely differently even from the Crown line and essentially took things to the next level. The 1992 model we had was equipped with all the things that are still novel today (in North America anyway) such as Navi (the display could also show over-the-air TV), cd player (no changer tho) and air suspension (which had all the same features at even the current LS), reclining and massaging back seats, separate rear A/C with mini fridge. Engine was the same 1UZ-FE kit. My favourite option tho, was the HUD. Yes Toyota had an on-glass HUD back in 1992.
And all this on A 1992 MODEL YEAR CAR!

It was a brilliant machine; quiet, sturdy and mechanically bulletproof. These are why I ended up in Lexuses when I moved to North America.

We also had a UZS131 (1993 model) which was the Crown Royal Saloon with the 1UZ (top model before going up to the Majesta).
This is the car I learned to drive in. I guess I've always been spoiled...

Full Crown history lesson can be found HERE for those interested. You'll need Google Translate to go from Thai to English.

Last edited by dfkd; 01-31-12 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Added images
Old 01-31-12, 09:42 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

you are very fortunate my friend ^ ^ ^

so which would you say was more prestigious,, the nissan cima or the yota majesta?
Old 02-01-12, 04:04 AM
scottgolf
Pole Position

wow you guys thanks for all the cool pics and information. I really like that car and would like to get one. I especially like the car, and I had no idea it was a full frame. That is really a special car.

So like soja said what is more prestigious the cima or the madjesta?

Also, which one is built better or more reliable do you think?
Old 02-01-12, 04:06 AM
scottgolf
Pole Position

is it safety or emmissions issues why they wont let the cars in the US? or maybe both?
Old 02-01-12, 05:00 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

when i attempted to get my old nissan gloria to be authorized by the NHTSA to be titled I spoke with a few individuals in their offices and corresponded back and forth. they basically told me that I would have to supply the NHTSA with x3 of the vehicles of the same model of the one that I wanted to import and that at least 2 of them had to pass the crash test. then i would be allowed to have it registered in the US after I had the glass swapped out and some emissions thing done. hmmmm.......
Old 02-01-12, 06:28 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If interested, Google vehicle homologation.
Old 02-01-12, 08:29 AM
dfkd
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

As far as I've seen, the Majesta seems to be received as the more prestigious car because it's sole purpose was to be a step above (luxury flagship). It was like LS vs GS kinda (older models, not the newer ones really). Almost all the bells and whistles are included with the base spec on the Majesta where the Cima could actually be had as a "cheap" spec.

To match the Majesta actually, you'd be looking for the Nissan President (essentially a Q45 but with features like you'd find in a UL. Even the seating was 2+2)...

MORE PHOTOS OF NISSAN PRESIDENT click to enlarge.

In Trinidad, both the Crown and the Cima are widely used as taxis and both are known for being extremely reliable. Many of the Crowns were equipped with some variant of the Toyota "M" engine then in later models Toyota switched to the "JZ" model engines. For taxi service, many people actually pulled out the newer "JZ" engines and swapped back in "M" (normally the 6M-GE or 7M-GE) engines because of reliability and availability of parts.

That said, the Crown being body-on-frame (at least up to 1999) it was known for being a stronger car that could handle a lot of abuse (think Crown Victoria).

Last edited by dfkd; 02-01-12 at 08:33 AM.
Old 02-01-12, 08:58 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

i know a base presidente is better than a base cima but from what i saw in 02-04 the cima could be spec'd above the presidente and was the top dog for nissan. this may have changed with the newer models though.. so the jdm flagship for nissan in luxo considerations is the presidente?

its not fair to throw in the century into the mix in my opinion since its in a category by itself but which flagship is better, nissans or the majesta?? and i know this is a much argued point of contention i used to be all about the nissan line when i was living there and repping the VIP'd Gloria but now after being a lexus follower for the last 2 cars and 7 years plus a toyota i'd say toyota now has my vote stateside at least

thats awesome about the cima taxi's. in japan the crown is the most widely used taxi but i don't think i've ever ridden in a cima taxi, would be sweet.
Old 02-01-12, 10:22 AM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

interesting thread. Nissan President competes directly with the Toyota Century....both are exclusive, low volume cars meant for your basic japanese big shot. Have lived in Japan off and on for many years and still enjoy seeing them, although its rare to see them in anything but black. I sat in a Century once, at one of Toyota's car exhibits in Tokyo, wish I could have taken it for a spin. Possible or perhaps even probable thats its even smoother and quieter than the LS. I believe the President is no longer in production and kinda doubt Nissan will restart or bring out a successor---they could not compete with the Century. As great as the Century is, I wonder how much longer Toyota will produce it, given that its not sold outside Japan, at least I'm not aware of it being sold elsewhere, and the volumes can't be great. At $100K or so a copy, not sure if its profitable since so much of the car seems unique. Is that V12 shared on another platform? the body sure isn't
Old 02-01-12, 03:09 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

i don't believe the v12 is shared but i have seen one or two celsiors -(04-06 LS 430) in japan that swapped out their v8 for the century v12,, now that is straight ballin the essence of VIP style if you ask me...

VIP = buy an expensive car, make it more expensive
Old 02-01-12, 03:22 PM
Dutchie101
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Top Secret are also using the v12's in a few Supras too i believe, and some tuning shops do carry aftermarket parts for those engines.... mmmmmmm... V12.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 430 and crown madjesta questions