LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Options to get USB audio on a 2001 430?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-12, 12:05 AM
realism
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Options to get USB audio on a 2001 430?

Guess I should say one that won't break the bank?

Thought I found the answer with grom audio but says only works outside us?! Wtf this looked like perfect solution.

All I want is to be able to play music from a USB drive and change tracks with steering wheel. I don't care about seeing track names etc.

http://www.gromaudio.com/store/usb_a...interface.html

anyways it's a 2001 LS 430 with navi and mark levinson if that helps.

Thanks for any help

R
Old 01-08-12, 12:38 AM
ebxgsxr
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

have you tried email them to ask. it's weird how it won't work with 01-03 LS's, but will work with the same year GS models.

not to rub it in on your misfortune, but it looks like it will fit my GS. im going to email them b/c my GS has navi & the ML system also.
Old 01-08-12, 02:39 AM
ebxgsxr
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

search this item number one ebay

it sold by grom audio (i guess through their ebay store). says all model LS from 01-09.
Old 01-08-12, 06:27 AM
cyclehead
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

I just installed that Grom Audio unit yesterday in my 2002 LS430 UL w mark levinson. It is the same box I added to my Avalon four years ago. It worked well in the Avalon.

Note, their application guide conflicts... One place says "outside u.s. Only". Another says all 2001 - 2009. Their converter box DOES work with my 2002. (Well, it DID work for about 10 minutes, then the amplifier quit because the Grom audio box is defective. Radio and amp work fine when Grom audio box is removed. Now I must ship it back to them. grrrrr)

You should pull the radio first to see which connector your radio has. Mine was 20 pin, and they had sent a 14 pin. Their 20 pin connector p/n is "LEX". They promptly sent the correct cable, but it wasted three days.

If you do get the Grom unit, let me know and I'll put up pictures of where I installed mine.

Last edited by cyclehead; 01-08-12 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-08-12, 07:51 PM
realism
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cyclehead
I just installed that Grom Audio unit yesterday in my 2002 LS430 UL w mark levinson. It is the same box I added to my Avalon four years ago. It worked well in the Avalon.

Note, their application guide conflicts... One place says "outside u.s. Only". Another says all 2001 - 2009. Their converter box DOES work with my 2002. (Well, it DID work for about 10 minutes, then the amplifier quit because the Grom audio box is defective. Radio and amp work fine when Grom audio box is removed. Now I must ship it back to them. grrrrr)

You should pull the radio first to see which connector your radio has. Mine was 20 pin, and they had sent a 14 pin. Their 20 pin connector p/n is "LEX". They promptly sent the correct cable, but it wasted three days.

If you do get the Grom unit, let me know and I'll put up pictures of where I installed mine.

Oh this will make me nuts good luck. Keep me posted on your progress.. I will email these guys and see what they say
Old 01-09-12, 05:50 AM
Quipper
Driver

I'll be interested in an update about how this goes as well, b/c this thread has gotten me thinking about installing that unit too. I've been having a bit of trouble with my CD changer jamming, and I'd really prefer to play Mp3s anyway.

Cyclehead: since you installed this, maybe you can answer a question I've been pondering. I know that there is a cable coming from behind the stereo to a box mounted exteriorly. Where does the wire/cable exit? The stereo at present is mounted perfectly flush, so I don't see how a cable can fit along one side. Second, is it ugly? If so, I may consider just getting another stereo altogether.... Thanks!
Old 01-09-12, 10:34 AM
cyclehead
Pit Crew

The Grom audio adapter box gets mounted beneath the console - completely out of sight. The adapter box sprouts out two cables that you can route anywhere (within about 3 feet of the radio), also routed beneath the trim and out of sight. I routed mine into the center armrest storage box (drilled a hole directly beneath the existing cigarette lighter socket). This leaves me with two cables lying in the bottom of my armrest storage box, available to plug in a thumbdrive, or IPOD, or Blackberry with Pandora. Other folks route theirs into the dashboard glove boxes. If you really want a "finished" appearance, you could buy and install a "USB panel connector", Like THIS. or THIS. The whole installation is out of sight except the stereo and USB cables - or panel connectors if you choose to go that way.

I left the stereo cable a little longer so it would reach outside the box and lay could lay the IPOD or blackberry on the center console in case I want to change songs (without flipping the armrest open).

I'll try to get a few pictures up tonight showing where I crammed the adapter box.

Last edited by cyclehead; 01-09-12 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-09-12, 04:28 PM
realism
Driver School Candidate

Okay so little update from my end. I emailed grom and they responded in less than 24 hours "badass!"

Here's what they said

"Yes it should work fine. USA model will require LEX cable instead of standard TOY1."

So looks like I'll be ordering.

Cycle head I can't wait to see some pix I really appreciate that!

R
Old 01-09-12, 06:32 PM
cyclehead
Pit Crew

I stuck the Grom audio "adapter" box beneath the seat-heat switches. I didn't tape or tie it in place - just crammed some foam around it to prevent rattles. One end of the new Grom Audio cable plugs into the radio, and the other end plugs into the car wiring harness connector. Tuck the cables behind the radio. They will get pinched pretty bad if you let them dangle behind the CD changer. CD changer doesn't have any extra room behind it.

I routed the two black adapter output wires adjacent to the gearshifter and aft to the armrest box. Watch you don't leave loose cables lying where they'll snag the retractable cup holder.

Last edited by cyclehead; 01-09-12 at 06:39 PM.
Old 01-09-12, 07:15 PM
realism
Driver School Candidate

Nice, I just ordered mine tonight. How hard was it to install? I'm not looking forward to pulling out stereo.

I'll probably route it to glove box

R
Old 01-10-12, 10:37 AM
cyclehead
Pit Crew

Radio is pretty simple to remove. Here
Try to pull the seat-heat panel with your fingers only (best way to avoid scratches).

I'm still struggling with the GROM adapter function. My new box is acting flaky, and tech support has me installing various firmware to try to get it running right. I did not have any trouble with the same Grom adapter box in my Toyota. Their tech support says "It might be compatibility issues (with LS430). We've had some complaints but cannot replicate...". They have almost refused to swap adapters...so far. I'm going to try one more round of new firmware and troubleshooting, before I give up and demand another box or my money back.

Tip: Install your adapter box between 9-5 Pacific time. Test it out BEFORE you button up your dashboard. If it does not work perfectly, get your laptop in the car and fire up the tech support "chat" window. You can try out all the checks and tests they want - real time. Grom is responsive with their chat window, but very slow to respond via tech support email. There is no telephone tech support that I can find.
Old 01-12-12, 12:35 PM
cyclehead
Pit Crew

Update: Grom Audio box is in the car and works well. It will play USB thumbdrive, IPOD and CD Changer. It IS fiddly though. The adapter box and radio have a little trouble toggling between CD changer and Adapter Box. It can get into a "confused" mode where it will play both CD changer AND USB or IPOD inputs and sound like your amplifier has just blown up (all scratchy with diminished volume). To get it out of this mode, you need to hit the "CD" button again. It will announce "USB" or "IPOD" through the speakers to let you know it's happy. You do NOT need to empty the CD changer to play USB and IPOD inputs (as their tech support suggested).

End result - the GROM audio adapter box works well. It is fiddly to toggle into and out of the different modes for CD changer and adapter options, but it does work consistently. USB only shows folder number and song number (no song names). It's relatively cheap.

Last edited by cyclehead; 01-12-12 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01-12-12, 03:44 PM
Milan
Pole Position

Is there a reason one would Choose Grom over Vaistech? The price difference is not that great to deal with the issues you point out.
Old 01-12-12, 06:07 PM
cyclehead
Pit Crew

My last Grom adapter didn't have these issues on Toyota instl. Vais sure lookslike a nice interface if it all runs on the nav screen. Grom box is $140 vs Vais $250. I guess you get whatcha pay for.

Last edited by cyclehead; 01-12-12 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-12-12, 06:09 PM
Milan
Pole Position

Vais is $200 direct from their site, almost ordered one tonight but bought something else for the wife's car instead lol.

Quick Reply: Options to get USB audio on a 2001 430?