LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Life After LS430?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-11, 02:48 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for all your suggestions. My first choice is to rest and then strengthen my back so the problem goes away and stays away. (Since my wife passed away, I'm no longer regularly using those lower back muscles in helping her transfer to/from her wheelchair, bed, etc.) I'd really like to keep the LS430. I probably won't be driving it much once the road salt season really starts around here, so the problem should be moot for a while.

Last night, my midwest roots had me thinking about getting a truck again. I'll add the Ridgeline to the above suggestions, as that's a really practical, but ugly, option. Then again, my brother-in-law is a Ford retiree and I could get a big discount on a new F150 King Ranch...
Old 12-15-11, 06:59 AM
Frankg2
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner
Thanks for all your suggestions. My first choice is to rest and then strengthen my back so the problem goes away and stays away. (Since my wife passed away, I'm no longer regularly using those lower back muscles in helping her transfer to/from her wheelchair, bed, etc.) I'd really like to keep the LS430. I probably won't be driving it much once the road salt season really starts around here, so the problem should be moot for a while.

Last night, my midwest roots had me thinking about getting a truck again. I'll add the Ridgeline to the above suggestions, as that's a really practical, but ugly, option. Then again, my brother-in-law is a Ford retiree and I could get a big discount on a new F150 King Ranch...
And if Ford is in the picture at all, and ugly isn't a show stopper, the Ford Flex is really a quite nifty vehicle. But damn... on the outside...
Old 12-15-11, 07:44 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Yeah, an ecoboost Flex would also be a possibility (gag). I don't know if the seating position would be ideal, though.
Old 12-15-11, 08:05 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

what about a 4 door Tundra? man those are great trucks! my brother has had one for 3 years now. gas mileage is decent too. be careful which Ford truck products you choose..
Old 12-15-11, 12:18 PM
Frankg2
Driver

Yeah, an ecoboost Flex would also be a possibility (gag). I don't know if the seating position would be ideal, though.
I'm a big guy (6'4", 250 lbs) and have always had back issues. I found the seating in both the Enclave and Flex to be more supportive than my 430, even with the dual lumbar controls. I write this off to great ergonomic development over the past 10 years. I don't have much time in the Enclave but do have significant time in the Flex, and I think both would be quite comfortable for extended trips... with the caveat that I actually haven't done that.
Old 12-15-11, 12:54 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

The RX, Venza or the Highlander are the way to go.
Old 12-15-11, 02:18 PM
2004TOYO
Pole Position

Toyo Venza
Old 12-15-11, 06:17 PM
monkeybutt
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Caddy sorry to hear about your back problems. When you start having to modify the environment to the person rather than being able to adapt to life's situtations it often becomes a slippery slope. I gotta assume you have had adequate medical care? On the chance that you haven't it would be a good idea to consult a neuro or orthopedic spine MD for proper Dx. Relying on your GP or an internist might not be sufficient to rule out possible complications or even interpret imaging tests correctly. If the doc says you need surgery get a second and maybe third opinion. If the doc says your situation may be amenable to conservative treatment, seek a good "manual" physical therapist. Picking a decent therapist is key here as there are a lot of BS places that will give you a Hot pack, Ultrasound and Massage or 'HUMmer' approach and take your money, but not do you much good. To assist in find appropriate treatment for your back ask the therapist if they do "hands-on" "manual" therapy. Also while there are several valid methodologies to back therapy, asking if the therapist specializes in McKenzie and/or Maitland would be a safe bet to help assure quality care. So ask.
Whatever which way the therapist skins the cat, most would agree that quelling the pain through joint mobilization, soft tissue mobilization and neural mobilization would be requisite. I'm not saying the judicious use of modalities, especially cold/ icepacks, is not appropriate, but if that's all you are getting go somewhere else.
Job number 2 would be to strengthen. The therapist will guide you on a "back stabilization" program which will stimulate the dormant interspinous muscles and progressively strengthen the larger core muscles. May take several months, but I bet you will be able to drive the LS amongst being able to do a lot of other things. Anyway hope this helps.

Sorry for the long post, but it would be a shame to demote the your LS from daily driver status.
PS. Beware any medical advice gotten on a car forum.
Old 12-15-11, 06:50 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

^^^
Wow, that's a lot of detail to digest. Thanks.
Old 12-15-11, 08:23 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^^Some good advice, physical therapy usually is the best solution for these things. Avoid surgery as much as you can as it tends to have adverse affects on the proper curvature and alignment of your spine in the long run, not to mention how painful it would be.

I would also suggest going in for an MRI. It will allow a proper visualization of your back to look for things like IV (intervertebral) prolapse. A good non-invasive technique IMO. Good luck with everything. As many have said, hopefully you won't have to get rid of your 430.
Old 12-16-11, 01:09 AM
scottgolf
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea caddy owner, you are the only guy here i relate too, you cant leave. you are the only guy that gets what a sophisticated driver wants. Dude please I am begging you the brand needs more guys like you and me and not the younger rap music loving generation.
Old 12-16-11, 05:51 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Originally Posted by scottgolf
... you are the only guy that gets what a sophisticated driver wants...
Yeah, if "sophisticated driver" = old fart. LOL

I'm not going anywhere soon. No other vehicles excite me right now. I'm working with the seat adjustments and have an annual physical scheduled with my doctor next month. (His specialty is men's sports medicine.) It's a shame that for me, my "beater" Prius with almost no seat adjustments is more comfortable on my back than the LS430.
Old 12-16-11, 06:10 AM
GLIDESUL
Lead Lap

My wife has a rx and its ok and comfy. Buick had great reviews . You can also look into the land rover lr3.
Old 12-16-11, 06:20 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

The Buick has the same oil-burning, timing chain eating 3.6L engine I had in my last two Cadillacs. I think I'll pass.
Old 12-16-11, 08:39 AM
McSwine
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I kind of went the other way...I traded in my '02 LS430 for a 2012 VW GTI.

I'm pretty sure cadddyowner's back would not approve. This thing is as stiff as the LS is plush.

Quick Reply: Life After LS430?