LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Highway wandering

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-11, 07:23 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner
Does the handling change after rotating your wheels? One of my buddies had a bent wheel that was causing similar problems with his 04 DeVille. Of course, some DeVilles (and now DTSs and Lucernes) continue to have suspension shakes no matter what you do.
I had the tires rotated many times with no improvement.

Originally Posted by BNR34
Is + toe means toe out?

If it is, that's your problem. You want toe in to go straight.

Those shops that works on those "specified range" is a joke, I learned that when I was a kid before I got my license helping my mom align her 1st car at like a firestone shop. Half of that "specified range" is bad.

Go find a real alignment shop.

My LS430 with 88k miles with all original bushings, go straight like an arrow at 130 mph, I can even take my hands off the wheel.

How many times you get it align doesn't matter if those same morons keep adjusting it to the bad settings.
Don't know what + toe means, but if it need to be " toe in " to drive straight, thats good to know and I'll tell that to whoever does the next alignment. I didn't take to car to inexperienced shops. One was a Lexus dealer, and the others were done by independents. But I will be looking for a new place for sure - someone who will redo it until I am satisfied.
Old 11-22-11, 08:18 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

+1 to BNR34 post, to much toe. The front toe on mine is .08 and rear is .06. Tires depending on alignment will have a stronger tramelling affect which is what you are encountering. So if you are lowered, a proper alignment is important. These shops are dialing in to much and or the tech is lazy to fine tune the initial settings.

You paid, go back and have them re-do it with less toe. It falls within spec but with some cars, they don't feel right. Problem shows up with uneven, premature tire wear and by then, the tire/s are

If you get a good alignment, don't mess with it unless it is obvious the car is pulling hard after a pot hole encounter or similar road hazard. Some tire shops "suggest" an alignment with new tires, this makes them extra $$. Don't fix what isn't broken.
Old 11-23-11, 07:36 AM
User 82021
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
Is + toe means toe out?

If it is, that's your problem. You want toe in to go straight.

Those shops that works on those "specified range" is a joke, I learned that when I was a kid before I got my license helping my mom align her 1st car at like a firestone shop. Half of that "specified range" is bad.

Go find a real alignment shop.

My LS430 with 88k miles with all original bushings, go straight like an arrow at 130 mph, I can even take my hands off the wheel.

How many times you get it align doesn't matter if those same morons keep adjusting it to the bad settings.
Negative toe is toe out, positive toe is toe in.
Old 11-23-11, 07:47 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks like you have gone to a shop to an alignment tech that doesn't know what they are doing - probably just lining up the lights green, good!

Looking at the readouts, they did not try to even balance the cambers. Since I'm not familiar with LS (being on 2IS side), it may not be adjustable such that it may require the use of adjusting the sub-frame to correct geometry issues and therefore can correct the camber and others in the process which an experienced alignment tech would be able to do.

Here is my report on my IS for instance. Notice my numbers between left and right are mostly identical in the after compared to before? My car is brand new too.

Last edited by Sango; 11-23-11 at 08:07 AM.
Old 11-23-11, 08:08 AM
User 82021
Driver

Originally Posted by Sango
Looks like you have gone to a shop to an alignment tech that doesn't know what they are doing - probably just lining up the lights green, good!

Looking at the readouts, they did not try to even balance the cambers. Since I'm not familiar with LS (being on 2IS side), it may not be adjustable such that it may require the use of adjusting the sub-frame to correct geometry issues and therefore can correct the camber and others in the process which an experienced alignment tech would be able to do.

Here is my report on my IS for instance. Notice my numbers between left and right are mostly identical in the after compared to before? My car is brand new too.

they didnt balance the camber on purpose, to combat road crown and caster pull.
camber pulls to which ever side is more positive, and caster pulls to which ever side is more negative.
i dont know how the roads are where you live but in arizona we have crowned roads to keep water off of our roads when it does rain.
i have no problem with his front camber. if anything his car should drift left because of camber, and right because of caster.
Old 11-23-11, 08:49 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by azcamber
Negative toe is toe out, positive toe is toe in.
Yeah I don't know how those lame computerized machine reads, I do it the old fashion racer method with a ruler. I know what works for me and It is dead on everytime.
Old 11-23-11, 08:53 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stu
Don't know what + toe means, but if it need to be " toe in " to drive straight, thats good to know and I'll tell that to whoever does the next alignment. I didn't take to car to inexperienced shops. One was a Lexus dealer, and the others were done by independents. But I will be looking for a new place for sure - someone who will redo it until I am satisfied.
The dealer is just a business, how good the work is all depends on the tech, there are tons of incompetent morons that works at the dealer.

To all dealer's tech reading this, I said most, there are always expections to a few individuals that are extremely good.

But usually the really good mechanics just open their own shop or works at an independent shop after they learn what they need from a dealer. Dealer don't pay so good folks don't stay.
Old 11-23-11, 10:54 AM
azdpac
Driver School Candidate

Default If it has air ride...

If it has air ride, check to make sure the car is level and all the shocks are good. Sounds like the same problem I have. Just not as bad. I had it to the dealer today and found out the r/r shock is bad, which is why I am here. I'm looking for parts.

Good Luck,
Dan
Old 11-23-11, 12:06 PM
Sango
Pole Position

they didnt balance the camber on purpose, to combat road crown and caster pull.
camber pulls to which ever side is more positive, and caster pulls to which ever side is more negative.
i dont know how the roads are where you live but in arizona we have crowned roads to keep water off of our roads when it does rain.
i have no problem with his front camber. if anything his car should drift left because of camber, and right because of caster.
Vancouver, BC and Seattle, WA, also crowned roads as well.

A proper alignment would allow the vehicle to follow the crowns (not pulling), not combat or counter. With the unbalanced ones, on a essentially flat road, it's going to basically drift which it not suppose to. With the alignment I got, works on crowned and flats.

The same alignment tech has also balanced cambers for my other IS which now a family member has as well.

Caster I'm not sure about but I do suspect there maybe some geometry issues that may need to be addressed too to properly get it aligned.

Last edited by Sango; 11-23-11 at 12:22 PM.
Old 11-23-11, 12:39 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Megan makes adjustable rear lower arms for the LS

http://meganracing.com/products/prod...=1189&catid=25

Will this help fix my car ?

Last edited by Stu; 11-23-11 at 06:35 PM.
Old 11-23-11, 12:44 PM
User 82021
Driver

Vancouver, BC and Seattle, WA, also crowned roads as well.

A proper alignment would allow the vehicle to follow the crowns (not pulling), not combat or counter. With the unbalanced ones, on a essentially flat road, it's going to basically drift which it not suppose to. With the alignment I got, works on crowned and flats.

The same alignment tech has also balanced cambers for my other IS which now a family member has as well.

Caster I'm not sure about but I do suspect there maybe some geometry issues that may need to be addressed too to properly get it aligned.
you are right, if the road is crowned the vehicle would have a natural tendency to pull right because of gravity. so you align a vehicle to have a slight left drift to compensate for it, to acquire this drift you can do it with caster or camber. the manufacturer recommends .5 degrees of cross camber (meaning one side has more than another) and .5 degree of cross caster for these reasons.
Old 11-23-11, 12:46 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stu
I want to fix the rear camber. Megan makes adjustable rear lower arms for the LS

http://meganracing.com/products/prod...=1189&catid=25

Who thinks this plus a good allignment will this help fix my car ?
Is your toe bro, camber don't make the car wander.

If the toe is right, you can have camber like these and the car would still go straight:

Old 11-23-11, 12:51 PM
Sango
Pole Position

you are right, if the road is crowned the vehicle would have a natural tendency to pull right because of gravity. so you align a vehicle to have a slight left drift to compensate for it, to acquire this drift you can do it with caster or camber. the manufacturer recommends .5 degrees of cross camber (meaning one side has more than another) and .5 degree of cross caster for these reasons.
Hmm, I never seen manufacture's mention it, and also that the alignment spec schematic for my IS does not say that either. In terms of how vehicle drives with the way it it was aligned, it does not drift on flat surfaces.
Old 11-23-11, 01:02 PM
User 82021
Driver

Hmm, I never seen manufacture's mention it, and also that the alignment spec schematic for my IS does not say that either. In terms of how vehicle drives with the way it it was aligned, it does not drift on flat surfaces.
aside from being far off subject, a crowned road is not a flat surface.
as far as you never seeing a manufacture mention it, i am not sure you do alignments on toyota's or lexus for a living
let me refer you to a generalized service bulletin for aligning a car that pulls or drifts.
http://www.lambros.net/LexusTechInfo...SB-0174-08.pdf
enjoy!
Old 11-23-11, 01:46 PM
Sango
Pole Position

aside from being far off subject, a crowned road is not a flat surface.
as far as you never seeing a manufacture mention it, i am not sure you do alignments on toyota's or lexus for a living
let me refer you to a generalized service bulletin for aligning a car that pulls or drifts.
http://www.lambros.net/LexusTechInfo...SB-0174-08.pdf
enjoy!
In my initial post, I said at my alignment tech, so no I do not work on alignments - I'm in an IT Software Engineer.

I'm mean virtually flat surface - not a road crown. There are a few places which with roads or facilities design like this. One simple one is in the dealership's service car floor - flat.

I actually asked a co-worker (who is experienced in cars, way beyond me) who drives an M3 for racing on the track - asked him a several weeks ago a similar question about driving on crowns. The answer was if I recall, was that it is not suppose to do that because if it set correctly, on a crown, it would require user input to correct the steering, not setting it such that it does not need to be corrected.

I would trust what my alignment tech does since he's known in the industry and does exotic cars such at Ferrari, Lambo, Lotus, Aston Martin as a lot of customers recommend him.

Last edited by Sango; 11-23-11 at 05:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Highway wandering