LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

05 LS (70k miles) Cleaning MAF and Throttle Body

Old 11-16-11, 09:15 AM
skassamali
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 LS (70k miles) Cleaning MAF and Throttle Body

All,

I've been researching this topic on the forum, and I'm a little confused.

1. To use a MAF cleaner or not to use it, that is the question
2. Some members reported creating more problems after cleaning the MAF....is it better to just let a dealer do this work?
3. The detailed instructions that a few members have provided are awesome, but can anyone post a pick of the engine bay and point me to where the MAF and Throttle body are?

If the cleaners are safe to use, what brand and where did everyone purchase it from?

Thanks!
Old 11-16-11, 09:21 AM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am about to clean both also. From the writeups and what I found in stores, I'm going to use CRC MAF sensor cleaner.
Old 11-16-11, 09:43 AM
skassamali
Driver

Boomer01, will you be able to take a couple of pics for me so that I know where to start?
Old 11-16-11, 11:47 AM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm doing this for the first time also and hopefully this weekend. I'll try to remember to take pics.
Old 11-16-11, 03:35 PM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have used CRC MAF sensor on mine and it worked just fine with no problems what so ever. Very easy. I cleaned the screen too. spray the sensor down. that's all it really needs. Vacuum the air box too while you are in there. remember to unplug your battery before your clean the TB.
Old 11-16-11, 06:34 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Why were you cleaning the sensor? Were you having problems or did you just want to perform preventive maintenence?
Old 11-16-11, 07:26 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

It seems you have so many sensors in your car can you clean em all? I have 150k on 04 never even changed the plugs yet or anything but brakes and tires. Is ti written in the manual to do like the flange bolts?
Old 11-16-11, 07:34 PM
112motor
Driver School Candidate

Please don't take offense to this, but if you are not familiar about where these parts are to start with, then I would highly suggest not touching them. I am not trying to be rude but I just hate to see people attempt to do something and it backfires and ends up costing them a boat load of money. These care aren't your every day Honda Civic. Just my two cents.
Old 11-16-11, 08:42 PM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
Why were you cleaning the sensor? Were you having problems or did you just want to perform preventive maintenence?
Just preventative maintenance.
Old 11-16-11, 08:46 PM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Originally Posted by 112motor
Please don't take offense to this, but if you are not familiar about where these parts are to start with, then I would highly suggest not touching them. I am not trying to be rude but I just hate to see people attempt to do something and it backfires and ends up costing them a boat load of money. These care aren't your every day Honda Civic. Just my two cents.
Very true. You should at least have an elementary knowledge of what's under the hood before your start tinkering under there. You can seriously do damage if you are not careful and or knowledgeable. You should be able to to pop the hood and be able to point to most parts of the engine very easily once the cover comes off.
Old 11-17-11, 07:31 AM
skassamali
Driver

Very true. I've done the air filter, cabin air filter, a/c cleaning (to remove the stench), PS flush, Cleaning the TB was the main part I was concerned with. I have removed an airbox on my old G35, current FX35, and 96 300zx to change / upgrade the air filter.

I've fixed my mirrors, the loose glovebox, and repaired a broken cupholder....but again, those are all inside the vehicle .

And my reason was just preventative maintenance. If the risk of damage is much higher than the potential benefit from having the MAF and TB cleaned, I'll likely pass on this.
Old 11-17-11, 07:36 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

reference:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/mai...and-gs430.html
Old 11-17-11, 11:34 AM
danxp
Driver

Originally Posted by Marklouis
thanks for that link... seattlegs really did a great job of writing this up... i'm gonna give it a go at some point...
Old 11-17-11, 09:09 PM
skassamali
Driver

Do you just spray the CRC cleaner where the arrow is pointing in the picture below?

Old 11-18-11, 08:11 AM
curiousB
Rookie

No. That is the connector for the cable harness. The sensor (a fine wire) is inside the chamber and should be sprayed with MAF solvent but don't touch the wire with anything.

There is no reason to clean this if you don't have symptoms.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 05 LS (70k miles) Cleaning MAF and Throttle Body