LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

HID FOGLIGHT INSTALLATION -Who uses a relay?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-11, 10:46 PM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default HID FOGLIGHT INSTALLATION -Who uses a relay?

I'm going to give it another go on Thursday to install my hdxtra 9003 kit. Last time I tried to put it in I had an issue with the bulb not seating correctly and not being able to loosen the retention screws.

Anyway, now I've done more research and want to do this right. Relay harness, I don't have one. Should I get one? Or is it fine without one. I'm very paranoid about draining my battery, as I had a nightmare with a parasitic draw on another car and swore I would never add any aftermarket stuff to the electrical system on any of my future cars. I am obviously eating my words. I really just don't want battery issues from an HID fogloght kit. It seems alot of issues I see are from Bikes and not cars. Should I get the relay harness?
Old 10-12-11, 05:09 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had a replay put in only for the pure reason of being able to turn on my fogs without the headlights having to be turned on.

i took my kit to a stereo installer shop and paid them $100 to install mines... after the initial installation i can easily replace any bad components, i just didn't want to get into the installation itself. and now whenever anything goes out, guess who i can go talk to, when you do it yourself you don't have a POC to get info from.
Old 10-12-11, 02:45 PM
airtime

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm running fog HID without a relay. It was quick and easy with existing factory wiring. No issues.

Not quite sure about your worries on "parasitic" draw as when you turn off your fog, it wouldn't draw power. Only reason I would install a relay would be if the ballast of the HID kit requires more current than what the factory wiring offer.
Old 10-12-11, 02:52 PM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I guess I'm being paranoid, some threads I read say that over time, even though its a lower wattage, the inrush current will affect the stock harness.
Old 10-12-11, 07:21 PM
airtime

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Lust4Lexus
I guess I'm being paranoid, some threads I read say that over time, even though its a lower wattage, the inrush current will affect the stock harness.
That may be true when you first light up the fog as it draws more amp to start up the ballast, but once its gets going, it only draws only 35watts vs 55watts on the standard fog bulbs.

Guess if you feel like it, running a set of relay is not that complex, probably adds 15 minutes to the whole project, most of that time is running the positive cable to the battery terminal cleanly and hidden as much as possible.

As mentioned above, go to a stereo shop and have them run it, as they do it daily, cost a little bit but you'll get piece of mind, which is all that really matters.