LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

some new some old; pics for a calendar

Old 10-07-11, 05:37 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default some new some old; pics for a calendar

some of you may have seen a link posted up by Dave about 3 weeks ago that asked for submissions for a CL lexus calendar. well i and a bunch of others all submitted their pics. it was pretty apparent to me that most of the other cars were much more involved than mines, and very apparent that most of the other pics were taken using a much more professional camera.

well a selection of 30 cars was made from that submissions thread for the calendar and somehow my LS made it through the first round of cuts . According to the OP's rules we are now in the voting stages of the calendar time-line. The OP {Fitment Factory} has asked that any votes be PM'd to him specifying which car {sojah} you think should make it to the calendar.

i am not of the impression that my car is by any means a superstar and i don't even think i'm in the same league as some of the cars on there. however i also don't think the calendar should be comprised of 6 ISF's and 6 2GS's (even though there are a few awesome calendar worthy ones on there ). With this being said since i think i'm the only LS430 on list of the 30 finalists. I would like to ask that if you have a moment to view the submission thread below and then to go PM which car you vote for to the OP {Fitment Factory}.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/club-lexus-vendor-marketplace/595989-hottest-lexus-calander-issue-poll.html

I'm grabbing a nice expensive *** high end camera from a friend this weekend and will attempt to get some actual half assed professional looking shots just in case they need a better one but i would like to ask you all to let me know which of the following pics you think is the best of my car presently¿¿¿ Thank you and just remember if you want to see an LS430 UL in the CL calendar remember to vote SOJAH !!!!!

Last edited by sojah; 10-07-11 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-07-11, 05:40 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Last edited by sojah; 10-07-11 at 06:00 AM.
Old 10-07-11, 05:42 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Old 10-07-11, 07:49 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The second picture at the marina is a winner. (Front 3/4 view taken from a standing height.)
Old 10-07-11, 08:48 AM
waijai
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Out of all the pictures this is the best one IMO

Old 10-07-11, 09:23 AM
airtime

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

+1 on the first image.
Old 10-07-11, 11:00 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

First pic looks great and is the best by wide margin. There is a lot of verticallity behind that car but it is no numerous it makes sense in the composition of that first pic.

Composition is critical - with photography it is generally best not to have large vertical items right behind or centered behind the subject that look like they may be growing out of the subject. Example would be the pic with a large tree right behind the LS - almost looks like the tree is growing out of the sunroof.

For that first pic - I'd crop out a band of the lowest part (maybe 3/8 to 1/2 inch) of the pic that has the street and add that same amount of space to the sky (using photo shop) to incorporate the composition "rule of thirds" a little better.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 10-07-11 at 11:06 AM.
Old 10-07-11, 11:38 AM
waijai
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't agree with the first pic. For car photography, you should have as much wheel facing the camera. The front drivers side wheel is turned towards the camera instead of away to expose more wheel face.
Old 10-07-11, 12:10 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I love checking out modded 430's.
Even being a generation past this car still is amazing. I've seen a few articles where it was considered the best car in the world at the time. I have never forgotten that.
Old 10-07-11, 02:56 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Well I own one so I am obviously biased but out of the 10 + cars I've owned and operated/modded I feel the strongest connection visually to the 04-06 LS 430 over most ay other car on the planet. It makes my 10 best list for cars that could be considered art.

Thanks for the votes and by the way I just took another 50 water (new backdrops) shots with a brand new hihg rez camera and tri pod so we shall see how my photo skills are progressing.
Old 10-07-11, 04:58 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

i learned that its hard to get good photos in direct sunlight today... even with an awesome camera and a tri-pod. out of 103, this is the best one basically.

runners up include

i learned i shouldn't stand so close, that i love the rear corner view of our car, and that i should go when the light isn't so bright so around 5-7 pm ish my time...

Last edited by sojah; 10-07-11 at 05:03 PM.
Old 12-12-11, 05:09 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

put some new (to me) wheels on my car this past weekend. looking for some honest feedback since i only want to keep one set so let me know if you all prefer the wheels above or these here???

the car and wheels are a little dirty and since it was 35 degrees outside i didn't feel like cleaning them (just wiped down the lips of the wheels is all.

i actually think these wheels here look killer in person but it isn't seeming to transfer through to these awesomely high quality cell phone pics linked above. the lips on these wheels are so cool looking to me since they are like a black pearl (but i am color blind). i am hoping that these won't require as much cleaning time to make look decent.
Old 12-12-11, 06:09 AM
ryan78
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

looks good bronson! suprisingly, i think i like the trafficstars better...i'll take the VIP modular's and put them on my ride though. lol. two completely different looks, and both are nice. need to see the VIP's in person to get a better feel... i think you are right in the fact that you'll need to reinstall the spacers. fittment up front should be right on if you do.
Old 12-12-11, 06:55 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

errrrr,,,,, no offense man but this is what i call a japanese stance up front and its gonna stay like that. you can't have super low and super flush in the front unless you go with even more of a stretch than i already have.

if you notice in a lot of vip mags the front are every so slightly tucked in which is what allows you to turn and be slammed.

BTW it is pretty flush in the front,, if you look from directly on the side you can actually see that it is flush from about half the wheel on down.

i was able to lower the car about half an inch more cuz this offset is about 4mm less in the front than the old wheels. it scrapes slightly on driveways and hills now so i can't lower it anymore and maintain any sort of functionality.

i also don't see why everyone wants to be so flush in the front, its not practical for being slammed.
Old 12-12-11, 07:11 AM
ryan78
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

whatever works for the look you are trying to achieve. we've had the tuck/no tuck discussion before.
i like both sets, though they are at completely opposite ends of the spectrum as far as looks are concerned - for me anyway. the more i see them the more i like the VIP's, though i would like to see them in motion. those are my second favorite design for VIP modular (behind the VR08 - go figure); i really can't wait to see them in person. they will look really good on the GS though...just saying

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: some new some old; pics for a calendar