LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

$600 later, my mystery is solved. Might help you someday.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-11, 03:44 PM
LANewsboy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default $600 later, my mystery is solved. Might help you someday.

Hey guys:

I just wanted to close the loop on the mysterious failure of power to the windows, doors, trunk, gas flap, and outside mirrors, using the driver's side controls or the remote, on my 2001 430.

Some here suggested it was fuses. I checked and my mechanic double-checked. Nope, all fuses were fine.

One poster suggested maybe it was something called a body sensor, which I learned is actually a "body control module," and is located under the trunk fuse box. Nope. Not that either.

A Lexus expert at the site Fixya said, given my symptoms, it was probably bad wiring in the driver's door. Nope, not that. But closer.

Two days ago I took the car into Lexus of Westminster (So.Calif), where a mechanic named Mitch used electrical probes to solve the problem in a couple of hours.

It was a short caused by a faulty wiper sensor!

I have no idea where's it's located, but it was the problem. He put in a new one and everything works fine. Part was $300, labor was $300.

Along the way, I learned that my local Toyota dealer will work on Lexus cars, and the service guy said they see a lot of them. But they don't have the wiring schematic for Lexus so I didn't go that way.

I'm no expert on Lexus dealerships, having only been to one previously. But Lexus of Westminster, at least on the service side, seems first rate. Very nice folks.

I hope this helps someone Googling their problem in the future.
The following users liked this post:
Aus430 (11-17-21)
Old 09-22-11, 07:11 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Glad you got it fixed! That sounds like it would be quite a headache!
Old 09-22-11, 07:47 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Appreciate the informative and potentially very useful post - Thanks!
Old 09-22-11, 09:46 AM
GR6RR
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

"body control module," and is located under the trunk fuse box.
I have a problem with this! Hot daym! Its giving me headaches! I spilled a whole 5 gallon of water in the trunk. Oh boy let me tell you, its trouble! Gas meter didn't read, taillights would flicker when the car is parked in off position, battery needed replacement as well, trunk auto close wouldn't work properly, and when I did get it to close, it gets stuck... so many other things I can't remember but pulling out my hair! hahaha
Got most of it fixed myself, still have some trouble with some controls and my license plate light doesn't shut off.
thanks for the information, We will keep this handy if something so happens. I still need to find my fix...
Old 09-22-11, 09:48 AM
toantran99
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Do you have the invoice? Can you include the part number?
Old 09-22-11, 11:50 AM
smm3
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for posting this. Hopefully it will help a fellow CL member at some time. Sorry about all the trouble you had to go through though....
Old 09-22-11, 11:21 PM
Red Square
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice find, I have the same problems! My windows go down but I can't control all 4 window from the driver side master. Each door window switch only work. Ill look into it. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-23-11, 07:46 AM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry, but i have to butt in...
This thread is pointless... Basically it describes problem, cost of solution, but NO solution !
It sounds like 'well he replaced SOMETHING, idk what, and "I have no idea where's it's located, but it was the problem" , and it's fixed now... yea, it cost 600usd ! that's the solution !'... What ? To have 600usd ?
Where is the solution ? Exact part name ? Part number ? ANYTHING ?
Sorry, but had to vent....
Old 09-23-11, 09:59 AM
Jabberwock

Originally Posted by Lynzoid
Sorry, but i have to butt in...[COLOR="Blue"]
This thread is pointless... Basically it describes problem, cost of solution, but NO solution !
It sounds like 'well he replaced SOMETHING, idk what, and "I have no idea where's it's located, but it was the problem" , and it's fixed now... yea, it cost 600usd ! that's the solution !'... What ? To have 600usd ?
Where is the solution ? Exact part name ? Part number ? ANYTHING ?
Sorry, but had to vent....

From the OP text - "It was a short caused by a faulty wiper sensor!"
Old 09-23-11, 06:10 PM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

What is that ? Was the short IN the 'wiper sensor', or 'faulty' part somehow caused short elsewhere ?
It's still a mystery if you ask me

EDIT: just especially checked part catalogue, and there's no 'wiper sensor' present in Lexus LS430.... Only sensor, related to wiper system is rain sensor, and it is glued to the windshield behind the rear view mirror. I'm sure the OP would notice, if his rear view mirror been reglued etcetcetc.... So, still a mystery...

Last edited by Lynzoid; 09-23-11 at 06:13 PM.
Old 09-23-11, 08:22 PM
Jabberwock

Originally Posted by Lynzoid
What is that ? Was the short IN the 'wiper sensor', or 'faulty' part somehow caused short elsewhere ?
It's still a mystery if you ask me

EDIT: just especially checked part catalogue, and there's no 'wiper sensor' present in Lexus LS430.... Only sensor, related to wiper system is rain sensor, and it is glued to the windshield behind the rear view mirror. I'm sure the OP would notice, if his rear view mirror been reglued etcetcetc.... So, still a mystery...
OK fair point - I see what you mean.
Old 11-17-21, 02:04 PM
Aus430
Pole Position

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Thank you for this thread.

Just a note - this sensor isn't glued to the windscreen - you can just unclip it by hand sitting in the drivers seat.
You don't even need to replace the sensor as the wipers still work fine without the automatic function. Automatic simply becomes regular adjustable intermittent wipe.